Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Throttled Edge is faster than H+/LTE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Throttled Edge is faster than H+/LTE

    Used my 4GB already with 10 days to go. Interesting that Edge is faster than H+ or LTE when throttled. Forced phone into Edge.

    I'm just a data hog this month. (No, I don't want to switch to Cricket and yes, Im aware of their plans)

    Here are two speed tests. Only did the download portion.

    H+ (LTE was same, didn't post pic) was about 122kbps. (Switched phone back to Edge during screenshot but was on H+ during test)

    Edge came in at almost 155kbps.

    It supposed to be up to 128, apparently it exceeds this.

    Name:  1431687680786.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  37.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,689
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Since you did not operate under the same conditions for each speed test, comparisons of the results are meaningless. The test were run on different cellular sites.
    Earl F. Parrish

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Since you did not operate under the same conditions for each speed test, comparisons of the results are meaningless. The test were run on different cellular sites.
    How do you know the conditions, are you lurking in my backyard?

    They're in the same location, I didn't move. The cell towers are different because here we I am Edge is not available on ALL towers, only certain ones, hence the change of towers in the tests, therefore what you wrote is what's meaningless as usual.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,689
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Cell Tower IDs are different. There were Cell Tower ID 111949979 and 11491 for HSPA+ and EDGE, respectively. There is no way to tell if one tower was congested and the other was not since many users avoid EDGE connections if possible.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The Cell Tower IDs are different. There were Cell Tower ID 111949979 and 11491 for HSPA+ and EDGE, respectively.
    Obviously.

    Already explained why above but you didn't read.

    Really don't care about tests as much as I care about the apps working because they work noticeably better and faster on Edge regardless so that's all that matters.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,943
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Although speeds might be a tad faster, pings will be really high on EDGE vs HSPA+ or LTE.
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Although speeds might be a tad faster, pings will be really high on EDGE vs HSPA+ or LTE.
    Yea true.

    I'm really trying to stay away from the silly numbers because what's going on with the applications is the issue I'm most concerned with.

    Tried Tune in Radio on LTE and it's basically annoyingly useless however forcing the phone back to Edge and it's uninterrupted so I'm happy with that among other apps that respond noticeably better on Edge.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Murland
    Posts
    1,482
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What was the ping like on EDGE?
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    What was the ping like on EDGE?
    Quite high.

    Just did ping now @356 Edge

    [email protected] 82

    Quite the ping for Edge but apparently the applications are working smoothly on it vs LTE, at least where I'm at.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mtns of Western NC
    Posts
    1,218
    Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for posting Gate115! I have been curious as to how usable throttled data would be on Gophone. Plus you might have found a positive quirk in the system by switching your data to Edge. You say TuneInRadio is usable on throttled data?! In the following days, please post other day-to-day things/apps that are workable with these reduced speeds. Or the opposite, what doesn't work...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,943
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    Yea true.

    I'm really trying to stay away from the silly numbers because what's going on with the applications is the issue I'm most concerned with.

    Tried Tune in Radio on LTE and it's basically annoyingly useless however forcing the phone back to Edge and it's uninterrupted so I'm happy with that among other apps that respond noticeably better on Edge.
    Wouldn't that kill your battery though (being on EDGE)?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    Thanks for posting Gate115! I have been curious as to how usable throttled data would be on Gophone. Plus you might have found a positive quirk in the system by switching your data to Edge. You say TuneInRadio is usable on throttled data?! In the following days, please post other day-to-day things/apps that are workable with these reduced speeds. Or the opposite, what doesn't work...
    Yes it worked really well, a few quirks here and there but it did that on LTE unthrottled too.

    Late last night I tethered throttled for a few hours and I only noticed some minor slowdowns otherwise I was able to tether the usual sites I go to.

    Actually going to downgrade to the $45 plan again as this was kinda a good test as to the usability of being throttled.

    YouTube however is very uncooperative while being throttled.

    Interesting thing is the same sites when tethered speed up considerably on my laptop than they do while on the phone. Odd. Possibly the processor is faster but I have a really crappy laptop. The Nexus 5 is probably better in specs. Lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Wouldn't that kill your battery though (being on EDGE)?
    It does take more from the battery but Im plugged in at home and in my car.

    I've always had this "low battery phobia" which was created back in the analog cell phone days in the 90s so I'm always looking for outlets.

    I just never got over it. Lol

    (Btw I have an electric car so you don't want to know how anal I am with charging it! Lol)

    Grateful to airports for those cell charging stations and at some shopping malls as well.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Right now it's very uninterrupted on Edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    407
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    Forced phone into Edge.
    How do I force my phone into Edge? Please post instructions. My OS is Android.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,937
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomgup View Post
    How do I force my phone into Edge? Please post instructions. My OS is Android.
    I think on your dial pad #*#*4636*#*#, device information, scroll down to LTE/GSM Auto PRL, click that and scroll down

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. amazing; edge is faster than 3g now
    By BarberJA1 in forum Apple
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 04:22 PM
  2. WTF Sidekick Edge is faster than MDA???
    By adamb2k6 in forum Windows Mobile Devices
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 01:49 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 03:40 AM
  4. E-Bay shipper is faster than Paypal LOL
    By phredog in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 04:50 PM
  5. My i95cl is FASTER than yours !!!
    By Gio in forum Nextel Lounge
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 05:20 AM

Bookmarks