Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Roll Over Data

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I'll be out of the country for over a month in the fall. Instead of paying my $45. monthly plan payment on renewal in early Oct., I'm going to let it hibernate until we return. Does anyone know if the leftover data will roll over with this gap in service? I suspect it won't (which is fine) but am wondering.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Unless you're sure you'll be back in time to keep your number (assuming it's important to you), I'd just port out to RingTo, then re-start as if from scratch with GoPhone (or whoever) when I got back, being on RT lets you experiment with other services even in paralel.

Ah the freedom!

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up and info. It will be out of service for less than a month. I always renew in $100. increments so the account should be good, too.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I would just go on the per minute or $2/day plans turn off your phone and resume your normal plan when you return assuming your rollover will be gone.

If you find a way to keep the rollover post back and tell us how you did it.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    That would be a great idea if I cared about keeping the data although I'm not certain that wouldn't cause me to definitely lose the data as it's a plan change. I'm just curious about what will happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agave View Post
    I would just go on the per minute or $2/day plans turn off your phone and resume your normal plan when you return assuming your rollover will be gone.
    Out of curiosity if the phone remains turned off or overseas, how long will they keep your number and the account live?

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I would assume until the funds in your account expire. I am not an expert, I have only had gophone for a few months.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhoneX4, P+X2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX2, R+, AV, Ting
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Out of curiosity if the phone remains turned off or overseas, how long will they keep your number and the account live?
    at&t will keep the account active and the number for 60 days after the balance expiration date, no matter if the phone is on, off, here or on the ocean floor, crushed by a boulder or buried somewhere in Antarctica.

From GoPhone TOS:
    GoPhone accounts for phone plans will be canceled 60 days after expiration.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 15 years!

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I'll be closer to the Arctic Circle, but, yes, 60 days.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If you are on the $2 plan and are inactive for 75 days and your funds expire in 90 days can you pick a new plan on day 76 and resume normal service?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    AT&T Mobility does not care whether you use the service or not. Its only concern is whether you have funds in your account to cover the cost of the service plan you have selected. If your funds are exhausted before the expiration date of any funds deposit, your account is dormant until you add enough funds to cover one day of the plan you have selected if you are on the $2.00 per day plan. On the $0.10 per minute plan, you must have enough funds to make a single call, at least $0.10. On the thirty day plans, your use of the plan expires if you do not have enough money in your account to pay for the next period after the current period ends. You then have sixty days before your account is cancelled after funds run out.
    Last edited by efparri; 07-27-2015 at 03:04 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    If you are planning to not use your account for a long period of time, your best bet is the $2/day plan. That's because receiving a text message does not cause the $2/day fee to kick in. Only sending a text message or talking causes the $2/day fee to kick in. In other words, you can receive unlimited text messages without paying anything. That is not true on the 10¢/minute plan, which charges for all of the following: receiving a text message (20¢ each); sending a text message (20¢ each); and talking (10¢/minute).

Feedback Score
    By the way, the ability to put a little-used or temporarily-unused account on a per-day or per-minute plan is one of the nice things about GoPhone. Most of the other prepaid providers (including Cricket) only offer monthly plans.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchea View Post
    That would be a great idea if I cared about keeping the data although I'm not certain that wouldn't cause me to definitely lose the data as it's a plan change. I'm just curious about what will happen.

Very late in updating. Data did not roll over as I suspected. Otherwise, no problems returning to service.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhoneX4, P+X2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX2, R+, AV, Ting
    Feedback Score
    I noticed that the data amount shown for "includes xx GB Rollover Data" in the OLAM dashboard is not accurate, or very misleading at best.
    Although the amount of data remaining shown below the "data used" bar seems to be correct, the total for the month is way off too.

I know that we get to roll over only whatever we left unused from the original data allowance in the previous month (which is consumed first on that month) and any other data rolled over from a previous month is lost. But I'm getting the impression that that amount from a previous month is still included in the "Roll over data" and the total for the new month, and then consumed data of the current one gets adjusted.

Let me explain.... let's say Monthly data 3GB ($45 plan)

What I expect:
    Month 1 : Consumed 2.5GB (so 0.5 GB gets rolled over to month 2)
    Month 2 : The data bar: "Plan Data (includes 0.5 GB of rollover data" and "x of 3.5 GB data remaining". (3GB + 0.5GB rolled over)
    Consumed 2.2GB (so 0.8 GB gets rolled over to month 3 and the 0.5 GB from month 1 is lost.
    Month 3 : The data bar: "Plan Data (includes 0.8 GB of rollover data" and "x of 3.8 GB data remaining". (3GB + 0.8GB rolled over)

What I see and believe is happening:
    Month 1 : Consumed 2.5GB (so 0.5 GB gets rolled over to month 2)
    Month 2 : The data bar: "Plan Data (includes 0.5 GB of rollover data" and "x of 3.5 GB data remaining". (3GB + 0.5GB rolled over)
    Consumed 2.2GB (so 0.8 GB gets rolled over to month 3 and the 0.5 GB from month 1 is lost. So far so good, BUT...
    Month 3 : The data bar: "Plan Data (includes 1.3 GB (??) of rollover data" and "x of 4.3 GB data remaining". (3GB + 1.3GB rolled over (??))
    where those 1.3GB rolled over is NOT the actual amount being rolled over from month 2 to month 3, and although the remaining amount is correct, it gives the impression that you have consumed a much more data in your current period than what you have actually done.

I suspect the discrepancy is due to the inclusion of the rolled over data added to the previous month to the amount calculated for the new month as well. In my example it would be the 0.5GB from month 1 to 2, into the amount rolled over to month 3. So instead of the 0.8GB, it shows 1.3GB as being rolled over into month 3, but already "consumed" from day 1.

I checked the history record report for a couple of periods (easy to read if you export to PDF and see the totals at the end) and it seems to match my theory. The bar implies I've consumed way more data than what the report summary says I have. I don't like that. It also gives the impression that we are getting much more data than what we really do.

I hope I made any sense.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast