Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Why can't you take a Project Fi SIM and use it in an unlocked Sprint iPhone 6?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore area
    Posts
    1,346
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Why can't you take a Project Fi SIM and use it in an unlocked Sprint iPhone 6?

    If someone took the Fi SIM and put it in an unlocked Sprint phone like an iPhone 6 (Sprint unlocks the newest iPhones for domestic use and they are compatible with both T-Mobile and Sprint), would the dual T-Mobile/Sprint service work?

    I realize the VPN wifi and all that might not work, but if the SIM is put in a phone with the right bands, wouldn't it just see the SIM as another carrier? At the very least, someone could make an appropriate carrier bundle and release it on Cydia or maybe Apple could release a carrier update,
    Last edited by mossme89; 05-18-2015 at 01:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    681
    Feedback Score
    0
    No. Its not surprising that this service is provided to Nexus 6 phones only considering its Google. I honestly would be surprised if other phones work for the service without some sort of work around.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,149
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    Google has already said it will work for other phones in the future. The service runs on a hybrid sim that allows it to go back and forth. Supposedly even older Nexus phones can't read this sim. But Project Fi is an Android only project. Just as the new iPhone sim will not work in an Android phone, this new sim will not work in an iPhone. Even if there was a work around for it, Apple would probably make a new update to lock the phones into reading only the new Apple sim.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0

    I only signed up to reply back to this comment ...

    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Google has already said it will work for other phones in the future. The service runs on a hybrid sim that allows it to go back and forth. Supposedly even older Nexus phones can't read this sim. But Project Fi is an Android only project. Just as the new iPhone sim will not work in an Android phone, this new sim will not work in an iPhone. Even if there was a work around for it, Apple would probably make a new update to lock the phones into reading only the new Apple sim.

    Actually - I started searching today to see if anyone else had tried this yet, and while I didn't search too hard - the lack of replies on this thread might tell me something.

    I got my Nexus 6 yesterday. I like the phone, but the service ... still not sure if I'm going to keep it. The voice quality sounds somewhat compressed and it is difficult to hear people sometimes.

    However, I was bored at work today - or kind of bored - and decided to put the Project Fi SIM in my iPhone 6 (Verizon)

    I was expecting it to tell me that the SIM card wasn't approved for use in this device, but to my surprise it actually connected to Sprint and I had LTE. So, I found out my iPhone is unlocked (w00t).

    I tried to make a call, and I heard a blip (like a fraction of a fraction of a second of a voice), a few seconds of silence, and then the generic cannot complete this call (Probably because the device isn't provisioned for use on the Sprint Network).

    I restarted the phone, and when I restarted it - it connected to T-Mobile.

    So I tried to make a call, and it worked - it went through


    So, I dug around in the settings on my iPhone, and a menu called "Carrier" showed up on the main screen, and when I opened it it said "Automatically Manage Networks" or something to that effect.


    I turned that option off, and it scanned for about a minute and came back with a list of Mobile Networks:

    T-Mobile
    Sprint
    Verizon
    AT&T
    Metro PCS

    I think I might be forgetting one. But I could force which network I wanted the phone to use and tried Sprint, Verizon & AT&T tried to connect but at the end of the day said No Service.

    Metro PCS connected for about 30 seconds, and then went back to No Service


    At the end of the Day - T-Mobile is the ONLY one that connected and still connected

    My theory with why Sprint connected for 1 time (and why T-Mobile connected and disconnected) is that somewhere on the network they blocked this specific device from trying to connect (much like a firewall that drops packets).

    I know that Sprint has a white list of devices that can be used on their network, and I'm sure Verizon has the same type of Setup.

    If you are curious, want more pictures, or something - let me know what you want and I'll try to post them for you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    706
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by drinfo86 View Post
    Actually - I started searching today to see if anyone else had tried this yet, and while I didn't search too hard - the lack of replies on this thread might tell me something.

    I got my Nexus 6 yesterday. I like the phone, but the service ... still not sure if I'm going to keep it. The voice quality sounds somewhat compressed and it is difficult to hear people sometimes.

    However, I was bored at work today - or kind of bored - and decided to put the Project Fi SIM in my iPhone 6 (Verizon)

    I was expecting it to tell me that the SIM card wasn't approved for use in this device, but to my surprise it actually connected to Sprint and I had LTE. So, I found out my iPhone is unlocked (w00t).

    I tried to make a call, and I heard a blip (like a fraction of a fraction of a second of a voice), a few seconds of silence, and then the generic cannot complete this call (Probably because the device isn't provisioned for use on the Sprint Network).

    I restarted the phone, and when I restarted it - it connected to T-Mobile.

    So I tried to make a call, and it worked - it went through


    So, I dug around in the settings on my iPhone, and a menu called "Carrier" showed up on the main screen, and when I opened it it said "Automatically Manage Networks" or something to that effect.


    I turned that option off, and it scanned for about a minute and came back with a list of Mobile Networks:

    T-Mobile
    Sprint
    Verizon
    AT&T
    Metro PCS

    I think I might be forgetting one. But I could force which network I wanted the phone to use and tried Sprint, Verizon & AT&T tried to connect but at the end of the day said No Service.

    Metro PCS connected for about 30 seconds, and then went back to No Service


    At the end of the Day - T-Mobile is the ONLY one that connected and still connected

    My theory with why Sprint connected for 1 time (and why T-Mobile connected and disconnected) is that somewhere on the network they blocked this specific device from trying to connect (much like a firewall that drops packets).

    I know that Sprint has a white list of devices that can be used on their network, and I'm sure Verizon has the same type of Setup.

    If you are curious, want more pictures, or something - let me know what you want and I'll try to post them for you.
    all verizon iPhones are unlocked.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,947
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by drinfo86 View Post
    Actually - I started searching today to see if anyone else had tried this yet, and while I didn't search too hard - the lack of replies on this thread might tell me something.

    I got my Nexus 6 yesterday. I like the phone, but the service ... still not sure if I'm going to keep it. The voice quality sounds somewhat compressed and it is difficult to hear people sometimes.

    However, I was bored at work today - or kind of bored - and decided to put the Project Fi SIM in my iPhone 6 (Verizon)

    I was expecting it to tell me that the SIM card wasn't approved for use in this device, but to my surprise it actually connected to Sprint and I had LTE. So, I found out my iPhone is unlocked (w00t).

    I tried to make a call, and I heard a blip (like a fraction of a fraction of a second of a voice), a few seconds of silence, and then the generic cannot complete this call (Probably because the device isn't provisioned for use on the Sprint Network).

    I restarted the phone, and when I restarted it - it connected to T-Mobile.

    So I tried to make a call, and it worked - it went through


    So, I dug around in the settings on my iPhone, and a menu called "Carrier" showed up on the main screen, and when I opened it it said "Automatically Manage Networks" or something to that effect.


    I turned that option off, and it scanned for about a minute and came back with a list of Mobile Networks:

    T-Mobile
    Sprint
    Verizon
    AT&T
    Metro PCS

    I think I might be forgetting one. But I could force which network I wanted the phone to use and tried Sprint, Verizon & AT&T tried to connect but at the end of the day said No Service.

    Metro PCS connected for about 30 seconds, and then went back to No Service


    At the end of the Day - T-Mobile is the ONLY one that connected and still connected

    My theory with why Sprint connected for 1 time (and why T-Mobile connected and disconnected) is that somewhere on the network they blocked this specific device from trying to connect (much like a firewall that drops packets).

    I know that Sprint has a white list of devices that can be used on their network, and I'm sure Verizon has the same type of Setup.

    If you are curious, want more pictures, or something - let me know what you want and I'll try to post them for you.
    Thank you for sharing your experience! It's nice to know it somewhat works on the iPhone. That's what I was going to try and do with mine.
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hmm, now that I think about it, it was my sprint iPhone that didn't work ... Haha ... I haven't tried a different SIM card in my Verizon phone until now - but once sprint started rolling out LTE in Reno, and I found out it wasn't really intended for indoors use (as evidenced by a comment on their coverage map about outdoor LTE coverage) I was kind of over sprint haha

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    Feedback Score
    0
    What now makes things interesting:
    Sprint has the BYOAD program, where someone can bring in a VZW iPhone 5c or newer (as well as any fully unlocked 6/+) and activate it on Sprint. I wonder if we could do this:

    Get a current/new Sprint customer to whitelist a VZW/unlocked iPhone through the BOYAD program, then hand it to a Fi subscriber to determine if it will work interchangeably between networks.

    Might be worth a try there...


    via the HoFo App
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

    R.I.P. Circuit City

    We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

    1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,601
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Google is going to put in software that only is designed for the Nexus 6 in Project Fi. No other phone will work since they can't upgrade the OS in Apple or Samsung phones.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,601
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Nexus 6 is the only single model # phone that works on all US major carrier networks. iPhone have a different model i6 for T-Mobile and another one for Sprint. For Project Fi to work it will need one phone that can operate on both Sprint and T-Mobile's cell tower spectrum.

    Phone 6 for T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T
    Model A1549 (GSM)
    Model A1549 (CDMA)

    iPhone 6 Plus for T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T
    Model A1522 (GSM)
    Model A1522 (CDMA

    iPhone 6 for Sprint, US Cellular, C Spire, Pioneer Cellular...etc
    Model A1586 (GSM)
    Model A1586 (CDMA)

    iPhone 6 Plus 6 for Sprint, US Cellular, C Spire, Pioneer Cellular...etc
    Model A1524 (GSM)
    Model A1524 (CDMA)

    https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The Nexus 6 is the only single model # phone that works on all US major carrier networks. iPhone have a different model i6 for T-Mobile and another one for Sprint.
    Sorry that's just wrong wrong wrong.

    The iPhone 6/6+ model A1586/A1524 is sold both as the "SIM-free" direct by Apple at full retail, and by Sprint, usually subsidized and locked.

    It has every single RF band as the other model which supports AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. It also adds the LTE "Spark" bands.

    On the very page you link to:

    Models A1586 and A1524 also support LTE networks listed for models A1549 and A1522.
    ----------
    Buying it from Apple means it can be activated and used on all four carriers, plus many others (note no Band 12 for T-Mobile!)

    Getting it properly "domestic unlocked" from Sprint results in exactly the same phone, software, hardware, use on all four networks, everything is exactly the same.

    But getting that unlock can be a challenge. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-6-A1586-A1524

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    If someone took the Fi SIM and put it in an unlocked Sprint phone like an iPhone 6 (Sprint unlocks the newest iPhones for domestic use and they are compatible with both T-Mobile and Sprint), would the dual T-Mobile/Sprint service work?

    I realize the VPN wifi and all that might not work, but if the SIM is put in a phone with the right bands, wouldn't it just see the SIM as another carrier? At the very least, someone could make an appropriate carrier bundle and release it on Cydia or maybe Apple could release a carrier update,
    Someone tried exactly this, and I think the answer is "sort of" - yes they can connect, but none of the special features worked.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,601
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Sorry that's just wrong wrong wrong.

    The iPhone 6/6+ model A1586/A1524 is sold both as the "SIM-free" direct by Apple at full retail, and by Sprint, usually subsidized and locked.

    It has every single RF band as the other model which supports AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. It also adds the LTE "Spark" bands.

    On the very page you link to:
    That isn't what Apple website said. Do you have a Apple link that says that model A1524 is supported on T-Mobile? Don't see why Apple would release a separate US model for Sprint if one model did it all. Both Sprint and T-Mobile phones support 1900Mhz but that is only one of T-Mobile bands that Sprint phone uses. Having a iPhone that only has 1900Mhz isn't my idea of working even if you can make a call every now and then.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    people have used fi in their iphone but it will NOT switch networks

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,957
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    What now makes things interesting:
    Sprint has the BYOAD program, where someone can bring in a VZW iPhone 5c or newer (as well as any fully unlocked 6/+) and activate it on Sprint. I wonder if we could do this:

    Get a current/new Sprint customer to whitelist a VZW/unlocked iPhone through the BOYAD program, then hand it to a Fi subscriber to determine if it will work interchangeably between networks.

    Might be worth a try there...


    via the HoFo App
    Has anyone tried this yet?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Intel iPhone 8 Plus:
    AT&T Unlimited Plus

    iPad Pro 9.7:
    Verizon Unlimited (February '17 Plan)

    Rural Internet:
    Mofi 4500 on AT&T Connected Car Unlimited
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

    AT&T Fiber

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 11:09 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 05:08 PM
  3. How can i buy the NEC n900 or n940 and use it in the US???
    By andrewmazotti in forum Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 05:51 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2002, 11:57 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-13-2001, 01:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks