Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why can't you take a Project Fi SIM and use it in an unlocked Sprint iPhone 6?

Feedback Score
    wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 6S supports Project Fi. Although Apple and Google are direct competitors, Apple has done some things (universal SIM in the iPad for LTE service globally) that is antagonistic to the carriers. Anything that makes the carriers more like a dumb pipe is something that Apple would be willing to consider.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 6S supports Project Fi. Although Apple and Google are direct competitors, Apple has done some things (universal SIM in the iPad for LTE service globally) that is antagonistic to the carriers. Anything that makes the carriers more like a dumb pipe is something that Apple would be willing to consider.
    I could see Apple announcing a Google Fi type service, but one which works on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint, seeing how much pull Apple had with AT&T in the past.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    That isn't what Apple website said. Do you have a Apple link that says that model A1524 is supported on T-Mobile? Don't see why Apple would release a separate US model for Sprint if one model did it all. Both Sprint and T-Mobile phones support 1900Mhz but that is only one of T-Mobile bands that Sprint phone uses. Having a iPhone that only has 1900Mhz isn't my idea of working even if you can make a call every now and then.
    Go back and read the Apple website networks supported page for these models. Clearly states (again)

Models A1586 and A1524 also support LTE networks listed for models A1549 and A1522.
    Do some googling and you'll see this confirmed independently, T-Mobile support etc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    Has anyone tried this yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 6S supports Project Fi.
    Maybe in the future, but as of today no phone other than the Nexus 6 supports Fi's network switching and other unique service features.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    That isn't what Apple website said. Do you have a Apple link that says that model A1524 is supported on T-Mobile? Don't see why Apple would release a separate US model for Sprint if one model did it all. Both Sprint and T-Mobile phones support 1900Mhz but that is only one of T-Mobile bands that Sprint phone uses. Having a iPhone that only has 1900Mhz isn't my idea of working even if you can make a call every now and then.
    I have a Sprint iPhone 6. I had it unlocked through Sprint (because I used to have them) but decided to switch around to see which carrier was best in my area. The Sprint iPhone has worked on LTE with VoLTE working on both T-Mobile and Verizon. I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile last week just to test. So to answer your question, the Sprint iPhone does work on all 4 major carriers with LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teedawgg View Post
    I have a Sprint iPhone 6. I had it unlocked through Sprint (because I used to have them) but decided to switch around to see which carrier wasthe Sprint iPhone does work on all 4 major carriers with LTE.
    As is also clearly stated on Apple's website. Only missing band is 12 for T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    As is also clearly stated on Apple's website. Only missing band is 12 for T-Mobile.
    Yes but no iPhone supports band 12

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Not yet. 6s will apparently RSN

Feedback Score
    I have finally received my Project Fi SIM card, and successfully tried it on my unlocked Sprint iPhone 6. It automatically connected to Sprint only one time, and now only allows connection to T-Mobile. There is no way to set the iPhone to CDMA mode, so I'm assuming it is only connecting to T-Mobile now because it thinks the SIM card is strictly GSM. When you receive a text, it comes through incorrect unless you use the hangouts application. Calls and data work fine. VOLTE does not work. VOLTE does not work with Google Fi on my Nexus either.

Feedback Score
    You have different meanings for "work fine" and "successfully" than I do.

But fun experimenting thanks. What happens if you power on in a Sprint-only zone?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    SIM = Subscriber Identity Module.

A physical SIM card can contain multiple subscriber identities. So a Verizon card could have distinct logical SIMs for CDMA, LTE and HSPA roaming, each with its own authentication key. And it can switch among them dynamically because the network is designed to support it, and there are standardized methods for handover.

The Fi SIM card uses non standard methods to switch. The networks don't have any standardized method of handing service between two different subscriber identities that belong to different networks. The custom Fi firmware looks for the best network to connect to and then activates the virtual SIM belonging to that carrier in order to make a connection.

Here's a wrench in the works: unlike Verizon, on Sprint the CDMA subscriber identity is not programmed into the SIM but rather directly into the phone. The LTE identity is on the card. Fi can access Sprint CDMA only because it can program that identity into the phone on the fly.

So if the last network you accessed was Sprint and then you put the SIM into an iPhone, it makes sense you'll connect to Sprint LTE because that's the last subscriber identity that was active. It makes sense you won't be able to make calls because iOS doesn't know how to use the Fi implementation of VoLTE on Sprint and also can't access the CDMA.

It would also appear that the SIM defaults back to the T-Mobile identity if the Fi software is not actively choosing the Sprint identity. This would explain why once it connects to T-Mobile it won't go back to Sprint. This could also be a design decision to ensure that if the Fi software is temporarily not functioning properly, it'll still connect to a network and receive calls.

Feedback Score
    Great backgrounder info there, thanks.

Since the answer to this OP is "because it won't work", maybe we should just put the thread out of its misery and post a new one titled "How Fi Works" starting with this info. . .

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Project Fi is a test bed environment for Google and they will keep it Nexus 6 only for the foreseeable future. Project Fi is just like Google's Project Glass Explorer, Project Loon and Project Titan that any of those other projects could agment Project Fi in this test bed environment. Google has promised Sprint that Project Fi has no intentions of becoming a major NVMO service provider and will limit this service. Google has no intention of competing with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint since they all sell Google Android powered phones.

Google's Project Fi is a moonshot project that is all about developing Software that pushes new Telco capabilities with phones they control 100% of the hardware and software. Apple & Google would never join forces to work together.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Maybe in the future, but as of today no phone other than the Nexus 6 supports Fi's network switching and other unique service features.
    Yes, there are some quirks with the service and the Nexus 6 Google is using. Generally the Nexus 6 is compatible with Verizon's network and since the Fi version is an unlocked phone per what Google says, I tried it out with my Verizon SIM. It can see the network and use data, but it will not make phone calls. When I entered the IMEI number into Verizon's unlocked phone compatibility page it came back with "this phone is not compatible with Verizon". So there's something odd with how Google has modified the Nexus 6's software for use on the Fi network.

Feedback Score
    All Nexus 6 are exactly the same. Anyone using the phone is free to change the ROM to anything they like. The Google fi variant is optimized for the Sprint and t-mobile networks, but if you want to switch to Verizon just put on the stock Verizon ROM and Bob's your uncle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast