Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score

My Review of the Galaxy S6 Edge

Name:  IMG_1365.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  43.7 KB
    I borrowed a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge from Howard Chui. I've been a longtime fan of Samsung high-end smartphones, but of late I've become rather disappointed in the slow pace of real improvement in the subsequent models. This isn't strictly a Samsung issue however, as this has been the case with every manufacturer out there. The smartphone, like the PC before it, has begun to reach maturity and the level of improvement from one generation to the next has slowed down considerably. The new models are indeed more powerful and have more features, but only INCREMENTALLY SO. It's becoming increasingly difficult to justify the purchase of a new device every year.

Name:  IMG_1327.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  18.8 KB

As I am still the owner of a Galaxy S4, I thought that I'd at least be impressed with 2 GENERATIONS of incremental improvement. However, I was quite surprised at how little had apparently changed in the 2 years since the release of the S4. Don't get me wrong though, but the S6 is clearly faster, as the benchmarks attest, but overall the S6 doesn't FEEL as though it is as much of an improvement over the S4 as I'd expected.

Name:  IMG_1348.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  13.5 KB

For example, when I tested the iPhone 6, I was really impressed with the incredible smoothness when I played videos (from many different sources) with steady-rate full-screen panning. I assumed that the reason the iPhone 6 was better at this than my S4 was simply because it had a more powerful GPU and a faster 64-bit CPU. I therefore expected to see the same smooth motion on videos played on the S6, but surprisingly, all that CPU and GPU power in the S6 doesn't seem to make much difference at all in this regard. Perhaps it's an underlying issue with Android, but certainly not one that has been addressed since 4.2.2 Jellybean (which I STILL run in my S4).

Comparing the performance of the web browser (specifically using Chrome) was another odd case. Most web pages I tried opened just as fast on my S4 as they did on the S6, despite doing exceptionally well on benchmarks associated with web page access. It didn't seem to matter how complex or large the pages were, the speed of opening them to their full glory was not something the S6 managed to do any better than the S4.

The speed of launching apps, and performing various operations inside of those apps, was a mixed bag. In some cases the S6 was faster (and sometimes by a wide margin), but in other cases, such as opening an email in Gmail, the differences were often hard to tell. The S6 would usually be faster when the thing being loaded hadn't yet been cached, but after both phones had the material cached, they seemed to access it at around the same speed.

Name:  20150505_153317.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  58.9 KB
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, f/1.9 1/100 ISO 50 (cropped)

That doesn't mean there aren't a few stand-out features on the S6, beginning with the camera. Yes, it has a few more megapixels than the one in the S4, but the real change in the camera is the ease at which one can take an excellent photograph. The S4, like other smartphones from 2013, doesn't have optical image stabilization, and taking blur-free photographs in anything less than sunlit conditions is difficult. With the S6 on the other hand, I can take blur-free shots under almost any conditions without giving it much thought at all. When the shots are good however, the overall quality is hard to distinguish between the S4 and S6.

Name:  IMG_1369.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  19.0 KB

Video, however, was a bit of a disappointment. I'd once again expected performance on par with the iPhone 6, but even when recording at mere 30 FPS in 1080p (which the S4 can do, and should be a walk in the park for the powerful GPU and CPU in the S6) the overall smoothness of the results is not that different. There are still tiny hiccups in the video during full-screen pans, and it is still evident that the video is made up of a series of short-exposure pictures strung together. The iPhone 6 is still king when it comes to smartphone video performance.

Name:  IMG_1355.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  36.1 KB
    Note this is Howard's fat hand

Another great (though not excellent) feature is the non-swipe fingerprint reader on the home button. Last year I was very impressed with the overall ease-of-use of the fingerprint reader was on the iPhone 6, and how much of a pain it was to use the reader found the S5. Samsung has addressed this problem by putting in a touch fingerprint reader than only requires the user to hold their finger on the button as they press it to wake the phone up. However, to Apple's credit, their reader seems to be much faster than the one on the S6. Whenever I'd wanted to unlock the iPhone 6, I'd just put my finger on the button, press it, and the phone unlocked. With the S6, I often find that it takes a NOTICEABLE amount of time between pressing the button, and when the fingerprint is approved and the phone is unlocked.

Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  27.3 KB

The casing, which is made of metal and glass, does seem to exude quality (and indeed the fit and finish is excellent), but I could never seem to shake the feeling that I was holding a very fragile device.

Name:  IMG_1338.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  18.7 KB

Of course, I wasn't about to test the durability of the casing by dropping it (as I have accidentally done with my S4), but I'm not so sure that the S6 would hold up as well to drops as the plastic S4 or S5 would.

Name:  IMG_1351.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  25.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1353.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  24.6 KB

I would have preferred to have tested a plain S6, rather than the S6 Edge, because I found the curved screen on the Edge model to be annoying at the best of times.

Name:  IMG_1354.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  30.5 KB

While I'm sure that someone must have come up with a use-case for curved screen sides, I certainly can't imagine one. It seems more like a gimmick to me, but the sales figures seem to suggest that it's a real winner with buyers.

Name:  IMG_1372.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  12.9 KB

The screen itself didn't exactly blow me away (curvature notwithstanding). I put the S6 into manual brightness mode, I cranked it up to full, and then I turned up my S4 to full brightness as well. I took them out to look at them in direct sunlight to find out if either of them was easier to see. I'd expected the S6 to leave my S4 in the dust, especially since I'd been so impressed with the brightness of the S5's screen. Surprisingly however, the S6 wasn't all that much brighter than the S4, which (without doing a side-by-side comparison with an S5) suggests that when it comes to screen brightness, the S6 has taken a slight step backward.

I was hyped to see what sort of GPS performance the S6 was capable of. Samsung has a history of putting some really outstanding GPS chips in their phones, which get better in each successive generation, but the one in the S6 was a huge disappointment. Not only did it NOT seem to include support for Chinese satellites (as does the S5 and many other current phones), but it couldn't produce locks as accurate as my S4 under ANY circumstances. Even outdoors, with a commanding view of a cloudless sky, the GPS rarely reported 3 meter accuracy (which my S4 can 80 to 90 percent of the time). At first I thought this was the result of a different algorithm for generating the reported accuracy, and so I ran side-by-side tracks. Much to my surprise, the S6 produced far less accurate tracks. Perhaps the S6 I tested was just a lemon, and maybe most of them perform better than this, but as I've noted in other past reviews, I have only the device I tested to go on.

Name:  IMG_1329.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  22.9 KB

When it comes to audio, the S6 hasn't evolved much. Like the S5 before it, the S6 isn't much better than the S4. They moved the speaker to the bottom of the phone, which is an improvement, but the overall volume and tonal quality of the speaker suggests that it is the same sounder they been using for years. I've heard MARKEDLY BETTER speaker performance on other phones (in particular those built by HTC). When it comes to the earpiece however, the S6 is like most of the Galaxy models before it, where quality and volume is among the best out there, so there really wasn't much room for improvement anyway.

Battery life seemed okay for a phone with a high-power chipset in it, but when I was actually using the phone, the battery discharge rate was a bit higher than my S4. Also, there was a bug in the S6 that sometimes FORGOT to turn off the GPS after an app was finished with it. Once this happened, only rebooting the phone would turn it off. If the GPS was left on, the discharge rate (even with the screen off) was quite high, at around 5 to 10 percent per hour.

The CPU and GPU are so powerful that they routinely generate a fair amount of heat, even when you aren't doing any heavy-duty work. The back of the phone gets uncomfortably warm under prolonged use, and if you play games, the heat can be quiet annoying.

One of the things that helps keep me on Samsung phones is the ability to force a particular LTE band. I don't much like Band 7 (2600 MHz), as it often has exceptionally poor uplink speeds unless the signal is strong. With Rogers PREFERRING 2600 MHz where available, my only hope is to force band 4. What I really would have liked is a way to tell the phone to NOT USE a specified band. Lo-and-behold, the S6 has this very capability, meaning I can tell it to ignore Band 7 and use any other bands that are available. This alone ALMOST tempted me to run out and buy one, but once reality set in, I realized that it wasn't a good enough excuse.

Until the S6, many Samsung fans used to tout the replaceable battery and MicroSD card as reasons why they stuck with the brand. It was a big shock to many fans when Samsung decided to scrap both of these things. I used to believe that they were important to me, but when I look back over my years of smartphone use, I can't honestly say that I've relied on EITHER. I use an external battery to keep up the charge on my phone when I really put a high demand on the battery (such as when I track long 4-hour-plus bike rides, while simultaneous broadcasting my location using Glympse), and I never pull the 32 GB card out of my S4. I backup my data to external USB Flash drives using an OTG cable, or directly connecting the device to a laptop.

Name:  IMG_1346.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  10.9 KB

In summary therefore, the S6 is only a slight improvement over the S5 it replaces and not much of an improvement over the 2-year-old S4. Unless you're made of money, or have a burning desire to own the most recent technology, keep your high-end 1- or 2-year-old smartphones for another year and save the money. If you're in the market to replace a much older phone, or a lower-end model, the S6 a well-built phone that has few killer downsides, but at the same time, there are things about it that are outclassed by others (the iPhone 6 for example). As for the curved edges, unless you can image an actual use to put it to, do yourself a favor and opt for the LESS EXPENISVE S6 instead of the S6 Edge. If GPS performance is really important to you, and the issue I saw on this S6 is typical, then this could be a deal-breaker.

Good Points:

• Touch fingerprint reader on the home button
    • Excellent earpiece volume and clarity
    • Great still photography performance
    • Build quality and materials
    • LTE band blocker (okay, it's really important to me)
    • Smooth overall performance

Could be Better:

• Video performance
    • Screen brightness
    • Speaker volume and quality

Bad Points:

• Gimmicky curved screen edges (get an S6)
    • Sub-standard GPS accuracy
    • Runs hot
    • No removable battery
    • No MicroSD card
    Last edited by howard; 06-30-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    Nice review. Think I'll stick with the S4.

Device(s)
    iphone 4 32gb
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Good review.

However I find the iphone video quality is not as good. Quite a bit less detail in the video.
    Also the performance of the video recording were the same with the s6 audio being a lot better.

but the iphone slomo quality is better than the s6 imo. seems like the s6 is less detailed with the slomo video.

Feedback Score
    I'll stick with the S5. The S6 is a much worse design: weaker battery (non removable), no memory expansion. If they restore this in the S7, I will return to Sammy. Otherwise they lost me.

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OlManRivah View Post
    Me too. I'd get the LG G4 (because it has replaceable battery) because it supports Band 12 on T-Mobile. However, TM won't have access to use Band 12 in the SF Bay Area for another year. S4 is a perfect sze for my shirt pocket. And it does everything I need to do almost all the time. Only have had to replace the charging port on the S4.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Nice review! The mainstream Smart Phone Media by and large miss something you mentioned that totally mirrors my own thoughts....

"I thought that I'd at least be impressed with 2 GENERATIONS of incremental improvement. However, I was quite surprised at how little had apparently changed in the 2 years since the release of the S4."

I felt the 2 and a half year upgrade bug and purchased a Z3 compact. The Nexus 4 I kept as a backup actually operates more smoothly and lollipop looks much prettier than Sony's overlay of it. With the exception of LTE the Nexus 4 is nearly as fast for most activities. If I did it over again I would have skipped one more generation...

Feedback Score
    Beautiful Phone I need to buy

Feedback Score
    Having handled a S6 Edge along with an S6 Edge+, while their displays are AMAZING, I would purchase one with my own money.

Currently the only phones " pay for are the LG G4, HTC One M9, Sony Xperia Z4v, and possibly the new Motorola Moto X Style.

Feedback Score
    NO way, go with the s6!

Feedback Score
    Oh well, here it is the middle of August and I've got the S6 Edge . . . . .

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your helpful review. I am going to buy one and wonder a bit

Feedback Score
    Awesome review, But I will recommend to buy Samsung Note series because "Note" series has outstanding features big screen and etc.

Feedback Score
    Steve, great review as usual. Would love to read more reviews for you; you haven't posted any in a long while. You've got fans out there

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    I haven't done any reviews in a while, but I hope to test the Galaxy S7 when it becomes available.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Feedback Score
    I'm glad to have stumbled upon your review, Steve - thanks! Thinking I was missing everything "modern" by hanging on to my (paid for!) S4, I bought a 64 GB iPhone 6s last month. I returned it after 5 days, deciding that it wasn't $800 better than my S4, and iOS was incredibly boring to use - no different, really, than my original iPod Touch. I'd decided last year that the S5 wasn't a big enough jump from the S4, and am glad to read that it's true of the S6, too. I'll give my S4 a hug tonight. If the battery goes south in the next year or so, I'll just order another one. As you suggested, annual improvements aren't large, and my needs are largely the same as they were two years ago. I'm passing for now and waiting to see what Apple and Samsung unveil for their "7" series.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast