Mississauga - Confederation Parkway & Prince of Wales Drive

Vaughan - Major MacKenzie Drive West & Keele Street

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    ^ all GTA
    sites.postpro.net
    select 'WIND New'

WIND announces new cell sites on its Network Updates tumblr page.

Close to a new site? Help map actual WIND coverage.

Crowd-sourced cell signal strength maps.
    Apps can provide detail on current cell/connection.

CellMapper / Android app

Coverage Mapper / Android app
    (app not maintained)

OpenSignal / Android app

Sensorly / Android app

RootMetrics / Android app

WIND official coverage

--
    Cell signal info/tracker (no online mapping)
    Network Signal Info (Pro)
    SignalCheck Lite (Pro)

Other site maps (SD/TAFL)
    ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
    davidpeacock.ca/maps/wind.php (shows SBA sites)

* NOTE *
    SD/TAFL-based maps are not current with recent site additions
    Spectrum Direct is being decommissioned as Industry Canada moves to a new system

--
    Comments, recommendations?
    Last edited by pjw918; 07-09-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added RootMetrics

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    It's not just areas around new sites that need signal/coverage mapping

Some of the apps are set by default to run in the background, collecting data and reporting continuously (Sensorly, OpenSignal). Others require explicit consent for upload, and clearly display data recording state and connected cell detail (CellMapper). Do take time to explore your app and understand its terms and settings, eg. 'collection frequency', 'passive contribution', 'data-sharing', 'background testing' and the like.
    Last edited by pjw918; 07-10-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Device(s)
    BB Passport, MS 650DS, W10 Alcatel Idol 4s
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure these sites and tools will become well used by many in the up coming months. I knew of a few of them but not all.

Thanks, PJW!

Feedback Score
    Thanks, PJW, keep up the good works bud.

Device(s)
    BB Passport, MS 650DS, W10 Alcatel Idol 4s
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When you say that Coverage Mapper is no longer maintained, does that mean any new results won't be mapped? I remember Canadiancow setting this up, there was quite the excitement about it. It was pre Milton, Niagara, K/W/G, etc so everyone was watching the towers being tested and anticipating launch.

Anyhow, it seems to work well on BB10 10.3.2.XXXX so I was wondering if it's still worth using.

Cheers!

*EDIT*

Now it's suddenly demanding Google Services so our brief affair is over I'm afraid. But if it's still mapping new sites I'd highly recommend it to others.
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 07-10-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    When you say that Coverage Mapper is no longer maintained, does that mean any new results won't be mapped? I remember Canadiancow setting this up, there was quite the excitement about it. It was pre Milton, Niagara, K/W/G, etc so everyone was watching the towers being tested and anticipating launch.
    Mann Icognito, don't bother with Coverage Mapper. Any results that you log will likely never be reflected in the map. The crowd-sourced data in the maps has not been updated in more than a year. The only thing that site is good for now is for comparing the network state from early 2014 to now. Unfortunately, for any other purpose, the site and app is essentially now useless.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Coverage Mapper and canadiancow hold a venerable position on Howard Forums. CM was rolled out here on the WIND forum February 2010, the WIND Mobile Tower Map thread was active from that initial post until July 2013.

The Coverage Mapper map doesn't have an LTE/4G layer or filter. The default http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap.php shows May 2014 as the last SD tower data upload. The app was last updated December 2012. It doesn't actually map sites, none display within the app (and no connected cell info in my limited testing).

The extensive 'green' on CM's city maps is a testament to the popularity of Coverage Mapper for years and to canadiancow's contributions to the community. He has assumed other responsibilites, but still comes by once in a while.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/CM13
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How do the respective web sites operate with respect to towers and frequencies? Do they automatically update with ownership transfers (such as the recent Rogers-Wind-Mobilicity-Shaw deal) or do they have to be updated manually?

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tvisforme View Post
    How do the respective web sites operate with respect to towers and frequencies?
    Do they automatically update with ownership transfers (such as the recent Rogers-Wind-Mobilicity-Shaw deal)
    No.

The direct way to confirm operational site transfer to WIND is when the cell MNC changes to 490.

The cell signal apps and CellMapper show the MNC of the current cell, the Cell ID, LAC, and technology (HSPA/LTE).

As explained in the first post, for the time being Industry Canada isn't much help.

Announcements made by WIND will show up in the forum quickly enough. New sites will be added to the sites.postpro.net map quickly enough.

On a network level all the crowdsourced coverage maps can display 4G/LTE coverage specifically (except Coverage Mapper), when that starts happening for WIND.

I don't know if we will be seeing much in the way of new sites transferred from Mobilicity before the end of the year. Rogers holds the subordinate spectrum licenses until Dec 29, and is obligated to provide uninterrupted service (and a smooth transition) to the Mobi subs.

--
    You can monitor for new WIND sites before they are announced by using CellMapper. You can watch for new sites in the areas you traverse with the "Use locally calculated data" option of the phone app's Map page. With a WIND SIM in the phone only 490 sites will be displayed (and remembered) (the SIM doesn't have to be active, you don't need a data connection). No signal trails just the IDs of the sites your device detected, with more info in a popup. With respect to a site's location, CellMapper plots a site using signal strength and triangulation - don't expect positional accuracy after a straight line pass-by or if just one or two of a site's cells (sectors) have been seen. The last number in the 5 digit Cell ID is the sector number.
    Last edited by pjw918; 07-14-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Announced July 13

Ottawa - Gatineau @ rue Davidson Ouest & rue Nobert

--
    sites.postpro.net
    'WIND New'

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/CM13
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    The question is a bit broad, don't you think?
    You split up a single query into two parts; I was asking about how the respective sites address changes such as the Mobilicity sale. Thanks for the reply that followed, though.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Gotcha. My tired brain was being too literal. Quote condensed.
    I believe the question was answered, without doing a site-by-site rundown.

Feedback Score
    I'd be really curious to know the impact of that new tower (July 7) in Mississauga near square one....where there's an appreciable improvement in and around the mall, since I assume, like many other malls in the GTA, the quality of the signal was probably lacking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juleso View Post
    I'd be really curious to know the impact of that new tower (July 7) in Mississauga near square one....where there's an appreciable improvement in and around the mall, since I assume, like many other malls in the GTA, the quality of the signal was probably lacking.
    Well, "IN" won't make a difference until Wind uses a lower frequency than 1700MHz. Unless they plant a tower by main entrance.

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast