Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eastlink Network in ON - NB - NFLD

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Bell/Telus may dominate in coverage and subscriber numbers but Rogers definitely dominates in speed in NL (where coverage is available, that is).

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    Bell/Telus may dominate in coverage and subscriber numbers but Rogers definitely dominates in speed in NL (where coverage is available, that is).
    Haha, faster excluding the 50% of their network that is HSPA in NL I presume?

"We are faster!"**

**We only are faster in the areas where we have LTE, which is about 3% of the geographic area that others have covered with LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Eastlink Network in ON - NB - NFLD

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    Haha, faster excluding the 50% of their network that is HSPA in NL I presume?

"We are faster!"**

**We only are faster in the areas where we have LTE, which is about 3% of the geographic area that others have covered with LTE.
    I had Bell for about 7 years, then I switched to Rogers in May. Believe it or not I've actually found even Rogers HSPA+ to be faster in many cases than Bell's LTE. The Bell network in my opinion is heavily oversubscribed in most of NL. It has some good areas don't get me wrong but any bigger urban areas in NL are brutal speed wise. During any major event such as Salmon Fest, Canada Day Fireworks in St. John's etc. Bell and Telus are almost guaranteed to fail (dropped calls and non-existant data). Hell, there's even parts of town where calls will always drop during rush hour. Rogers hasn't given me an issue yet.
    Last edited by newfoundlander1; 12-13-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    I had Bell for about 7 years, then I switched to Rogers in May. Believe it or not I've actually found even Rogers HSPA+ to be faster in many cases than Bell's LTE. The Bell network in my opinion is heavily oversubscribed in most of NL. It has some good areas don't get me wrong but any bigger rural areas in NL are brutal speed wise. During any major event such as Salmon Fest, Canada Day Fireworks in St. John's etc. Bell and Telus are almost guaranteed to fail (dropped calls and non-existant data). Hell, there's even parts of town where calls will always drop during rush hour. Rogers hasn't given me an issue yet.
    Where have you experienced issues with Bell in St. John's? Only place I remember is the Merrymeeting Rd. area (near Colemans) which is awful but because of low signal not congestion. I think they had an app to the city to put a site on top of the RNC building there at the corner of MM and Parade St. but it's not showing on cell tower maps as being there yet. I've never noticed any major congestion issues when I lived there but I had wifi most of the time for data so only calls and texts were a concern really.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I used to live in airport heights directly across from the airport and would get call failed come up on my cell in the middle of a call around rush hour many times. Data has always been useless around the city during power outages (e.g. I was in the southlands during the province wide blackout last year and data did not work at all and calls were static half of the time). no data at Canada Day fireworks at Quidi Vidi a couple of years ago could not even send an iMessage to meet up with friends, no data at Avalon mall or Stavanger drive on Black Friday last year. I worked on Stavanger drive for a while as well and dropped calls and failed texts were common during evening rush with the influx of traffic and customers in the business park. I've even had issues in Clarenville with data on 3G at least (can't remember having issues with LTE) and during salmon fest is a no go. I can even remember a few years back being in Bonavista for the Stanley Cup viewing and with over 12,000 people lined up at the stadium no one could call text or use data at all for the 6 hours we were waiting. I know you can expect issues when big crowds converge in a small area from time to time but here it seems you can guarantee your cell phone wont be reliable on Bell or Telus during any bigger event.

Feedback Score
    I used to live in airport heights directly across from the airport and would get call failed come up on my cell in the middle of a call around rush hour many times. Data has always been useless around the city during power outages (e.g. I was in the southlands during the province wide blackout last year and data did not work at all and calls were static half of the time). no data at Canada Day fireworks at Quidi Vidi a couple of years ago could not even send an iMessage to meet up with friends, no data at Avalon mall or Stavanger drive on Black Friday last year. I worked on Stavanger drive for a while as well and dropped calls and failed texts were common during evening rush with the influx of traffic and customers in the business park. I've even had issues in Clarenville with data on 3G at least (can't remember having issues with LTE) and during salmon fest is a no go. I can even remember a few years back being in Bonavista for the Stanley Cup viewing and with over 12,000 people lined up at the stadium no one could call text or use data at all for the 6 hours we were waiting. I know you can expect issues when big crowds converge in a small area from time to time but here it seems you can guarantee your cell phone wont be reliable on Bell or Telus during any bigger event.
    Oh I see... interesting. Are there any major Rogers dead zones in the city nowadays?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Not really in the city itself that I've seen. Conception Bay South and Torbay still have huge dead zones though

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    They put a tower in NL to snap up the AWS-3 new entrant bandwidth for the entire maritimes.
    Technically, NL isn't part of the Maritimes. The Maritimes are NS, NB, and PEI. Atlantic Canada is those three plus NL.

But yes, smart moves indeed.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Technically, NL isn't part of the Maritimes. The Maritimes are NS, NB, and PEI. Atlantic Canada is those three plus NL.

But yes, smart moves indeed.
    Where I am, Saskatchewan is eastern Canada. But I'd be shot for calling them that!

Here, BC is the west coast, AB is home, AB, SK and MB is the prairies, ON and QC are central Canada, the four maritime provinces are the Maritimes and the now three territories are either the North or the Territories.

You can call them what you want if you want to.
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maritimes

Newfoundland is not part of the Maritimes, your just misinformed.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    Here, BC is the west coast, AB is home, AB, SK and MB is the prairies, ON and QC are central Canada, the four maritime provinces are the Maritimes and the now three territories are either the North or the Territories.
    There are only three Maritime provinces. It is really quite easy: The Maritimes are where Atlantic Time is observered. :-))

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dajs View Post
    There are only three Maritime provinces. It is really quite easy: The Maritimes are where Atlantic Time is observered. :-))
    Labrador observes Atlantic time but it part of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barter View Post
    Labrador observes Atlantic time but it part of Newfoundland and Labrador.
    Yes and no. The Law clearly states that ALL of the province follows Newfoundland Time:
    http://www.assembly.nl.ca/legislatio...atutes/s23.htm

However, parts of Labrador, in practice, observe a different time: The Southeastern part follows Newfoundland Time in accordance with the law. The area North and West of Cartwright follows Atlantic Time.

I have seen a map according to which the time zone border on Killiniq Island was different from the border between NFL and Nunavut. As Killiniq has been uninhabited for several decades now, this would be of very limited relevance. :-)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They're officially launching service in Timmins and Sudbury on June 1st I read on mobilesyrup a couple of days ago! Wonder how long til they officially launch in NL? They're taking their sweet time it seems

Feedback Score
    They're officially launching service in Timmins and Sudbury on June 1st I read on mobilesyrup a couple of days ago! Wonder how long til they officially launch in NL? They're taking their sweet time it seems
    Strange, considering their cable presence in the province.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast