Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eastlink Network in ON - NB - NFLD

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebucto902 View Post
    Strange, considering their cable presence in the province.
    They have no cable presence in St. John's metro though (only Rogers and Bell). I guess this could be why they aren't too worried about getting the network up and running as fast as they were in Nova Scotia and PEI.

Feedback Score
    Just ditched Eastlink in Central NL...horribly slow internet, absolutely horrendous customer service - worse than Rogers, which is no mean feat. Payment was made online by credit card on a Friday - Monday morning, Eastlink disconnected the service for non-payment, a half-hour before they posted the payment that had been made on Friday. After several hours of hassling with layers of what passes for EastLink's "customer service", they did agree to waive the $80 reconnect fee they had stubbornly demanded, but then tried to almost double the cost for what has to be Canada's slowest internet to a staggering $90/month, taxes in! Since it's my summer place, and I use it about 4 months a year, they've been told to buzz off and never bother me again. I've replaced EastLink with a simple MiFi...$5 basic plan, up to 1 GB for $20, which is more than enough data to check email and the weather forecast daily. Total cost - maybe $100 a year based on 4-5 months usage, as opposed to EastLink's $1080 a year, AND IT RUNS FASTER. Bye, bye, Eastlink...you'll be missed like a bad toothache...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NLuser View Post
    Just ditched Eastlink in Central NL...horribly slow internet, absolutely horrendous customer service - worse than Rogers, which is no mean feat. Payment was made online by credit card on a Friday - Monday morning, Eastlink disconnected the service for non-payment, a half-hour before they posted the payment that had been made on Friday. After several hours of hassling with layers of what passes for EastLink's "customer service", they did agree to waive the $80 reconnect fee they had stubbornly demanded, but then tried to almost double the cost for what has to be Canada's slowest internet to a staggering $90/month, taxes in! Since it's my summer place, and I use it about 4 months a year, they've been told to buzz off and never bother me again. I've replaced EastLink with a simple MiFi...$5 basic plan, up to 1 GB for $20, which is more than enough data to check email and the weather forecast daily. Total cost - maybe $100 a year based on 4-5 months usage, as opposed to EastLink's $1080 a year, AND IT RUNS FASTER. Bye, bye, Eastlink...you'll be missed like a bad toothache...
    Not sure how this post is relevant to the forum seeing as how this is about cable and not wireless but ok.

Anyways, I've been reading online that Eastlink's new cellular expansion in Timmins and Sudbury launching in June will also include the launch of VoLTE service so that means one step closer to the official launch in NL I'd assume, since they won't have to worry about 3G here at all for voice calls anymore. I find it hilarious though how Rogers and Eastlink have beaten Bell and Telus to launching a full nationwide VoLTE service, when they are thought of as having "inferior" networks compared to the other 2.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Unless I missed a post somewhere, Eastlink is only launching VoLTE in Ont because they haven't added band 4 anywhere outside of NS and PEI.
    Also, I haven't heard about VoLTE being luanched in NS/PEI so "nation wide" VoLTE is a stretch when it comes to Eastlink.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CTremblay85 View Post
    Unless I missed a post somewhere, Eastlink is only launching VoLTE in Ont because they haven't added band 4 anywhere outside of NS and PEI.
    Also, I haven't heard about VoLTE being luanched in NS/PEI so "nation wide" VoLTE is a stretch when it comes to Eastlink.
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/05/26/ea...june-1-canada/

Nevermind it appears you're right. My bad.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I actually have been keeping a close eye on Eastlink. I'm always rooting for the underdog. (and wishing they would have the "Sasktel effect")
    They have been doing some panel upgrades on at least 1 tower in Sydney (the one behind No Frills on Welton Street)
    I just wish they would add 700Mhz and VoLTE and I would gladly try them out.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=newfoundlander1;16666601]Not sure how this post is relevant to the forum seeing as how this is about cable and not wireless but ok.

Sorry if my original post was off topic - intended to explain my shift from cable to wireless hub, and warn folks that EastLink's customer service ain't what you'd call world-class...to put it mildly...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    @CTremblay85

I'm rooting for them as well. More competition is always good for consumers, although I don't think they will have a SaskTel effect unfortunately. They seem to be just a shade cheaper than the big 3, so I doubt this will change anytime soon at least. Has 700 MHz LTE been launched anywhere in Nova Scotia or PEI at all yet? Or is the whole network still band 4?

@NLuser

True enough. Always good to share your experiences with customer service for sure. Gives others an idea of what a company is like to deal with before they switch. I've never been an Eastlink customer personally but on the Bonavista Peninsula where I'm originally from, they are the only cable provider in the whole area. I've heard some people say they've had really good experiences with them and no problems and others have had not so good experiences. I will give them some credit though, they are a lot more invested in rural high speed internet than the other two companies that have a presence in the province (Bell Aliant and Rogers).

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Also for anyone interested, Eastlink now has their cellular coverage map updated to show where VoLTE service is offered now. Seems to only be Timmins as of today but I'm assuming Sudbury will also be included next week once they launch there!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    @CTremblay85

I'm rooting for them as well. More competition is always good for consumers, although I don't think they will have a SaskTel effect unfortunately. They seem to be just a shade cheaper than the big 3, so I doubt this will change anytime soon at least. Has 700 MHz LTE been launched anywhere in Nova Scotia or PEI at all yet? Or is the whole network still band 4?
    The SaskTel effect comment was wishful dreaming on my part as I know it will never happen.
    As for 700MHz deployment, i'm not sure if any has been deployed yet in NS/PEI. I was chatting with an employee at the Eastlink store, and he had no clue. He also told me that they were to last to know about anything and said that one of the latest towers to be added, they found out through the local news paper.

According to the tower locator app/site (last updated over a year ago) and http://tafl.jonathanmorgan.net/ (last updated in Dec, 2015), Eastlink has yet to deploy any 700MHz within NS/PEI, only the couple towers in NB, NL and Ont.

I wish Loxcel was cheaper or else I would try them out to see whats new for Eastlink (and the big 3) in my area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Service officially launched in Sudbury, Ontario today along with VoLTE in that area according to mobilesyrup and Eastlink's coverage map.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CTremblay85 View Post
    The SaskTel effect comment was wishful dreaming on my part as I know it will never happen.
    As for 700MHz deployment, i'm not sure if any has been deployed yet in NS/PEI. I was chatting with an employee at the Eastlink store, and he had no clue. He also told me that they were to last to know about anything and said that one of the latest towers to be added, they found out through the local news paper.

According to the tower locator app/site (last updated over a year ago) and http://tafl.jonathanmorgan.net/ (last updated in Dec, 2015), Eastlink has yet to deploy any 700MHz within NS/PEI, only the couple towers in NB, NL and Ont.

I wish Loxcel was cheaper or else I would try them out to see whats new for Eastlink (and the big 3) in my area.
    http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

this site has finally been updated for the first time in little over a year and reflects all the new changes that are also on the loxcel map. Seems like it was uploaded yesterday. Any changes in Eastlink's network in Nova Scotia and PEI should be on here now including new towers.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

this site has finally been updated for the first time in little over a year and reflects all the new changes that are also on the loxcel map. Seems like it was uploaded yesterday. Any changes in Eastlink's network in Nova Scotia and PEI should be on here now including new towers.
    I was looking through the excel file put up on the SMS site last weekend (the same file ertyu used) and there is no change for 700 MHz. Still no 700 MHz for NS/PEI sadly.
    Name:  Eastlink.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  66.3 KB

Edit: That might be hard to see on a mobile device but it is all the entries for Eastlink (Bragg) for 700 MHz

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Eastlink seems to have quietly launched in Moncton NB over the past few days. Seen an updated coverage map tonight.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dajs View Post
    ...The Law clearly states that ALL of the province follows Newfoundland Time:
    http://www.assembly.nl.ca/legislatio...atutes/s23.htm
    Did anyone else notice that the legislation is WRONG?

Standard time
    2. (1) Time in the province shall be reckoned as 3 1/2 hours later than Greenwich mean solar time.

This, coupled with the fact that a significant portion of the province uses Atlantic time, makes this one of the most useless pieces of legislation I'ev ever read.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast