Thread: Project Fi Speed Tests

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    fi.google.com
    Feedback Score

Cool

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

T-Mobile roaming, Canadian carrier unknown, Band unknown.

Name:  Screenshot_20160107-185516.png
Views: 811
Size:  785.7 KB
    Stefan - Victoria, Canada
    2013 LG Nexus 4 - PublicMobile.ca
    2015 LG Nexus 5X - fi.google.com

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint band 25 in Dover, NH early in the morning:

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Project Fi Speed Tests

Google Fi Speedtest result run on my Nexus 6, from a T-Mobile Band 2 LTE site located 6 miles away in the country. TheAttachment 143118 test was run inside our office here in town. Not bad at all, T-Mobile is doing a good job, and the Fi service works like a charm. On the very rare occasion the phone loses the T-Mobile LTE connection, it will pick up Sprint roaming partner Pioneer Cellular's 3G signal, you don't even notice the handoff. Wifi calling works great as well, I am very impressed with Google Fi.

Feedback Score
    Quick question for fi data, do speedtests count against data, or is it like with T-Mobile and zero billed? Also, how about the other free data services T-Mobile has, like streaming music such as Pandora, etc?

I'm seriously considering opening a Project fi line for travel. I am out of the country about 60 days or so a year, and would like to have faster data at times than the free, 128Mbps T-Mobile includes. From what I read on the website, up to 9 data sims can run off of a single line, and are free from fi. I generally travel with other family members, and this would be great, especially if the data speeds were decent overseas.

I'd love any comments from fi users who have international roaming experience.

Feedback Score
    Mods, remove duplicate post.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Quick question for fi data, do speedtests count against data, or is it like with T-Mobile and zero billed? Also, how about the other free data services T-Mobile has, like streaming music such as Pandora, etc?

I'm seriously considering opening a Project fi line for travel. I am out of the country about 60 days or so a year, and would like to have faster data at times than the free, 128Mbps T-Mobile includes. From what I read on the website, up to 9 data sims can run off of a single line, and are free from fi. I generally travel with other family members, and this would be great, especially if the data speeds were decent overseas.

I'd love any comments from fi users who have international roaming experience.
    Everything counts with Fi, nothing is zero rated like on T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chex383 View Post
    Has anyone tried to use Fi in Canada? I am an American ex-pat in BC, and Fi has a lot of advantages for me, but the 20 cents for Canada <> Canada calling is a major bummer.. I am seeing speeds advertised by Google as 3G/256kbps in Canada, but can it really be that slow? I have tried googling for reports on the (Canadian) ground but I haven't been able to find anything online.

I could use VOIP calling with either Hangouts, or voip.ms VOIP account, to get around the calling per minute charges, but at 256kbps, thats never going to work.

Despite all this, I am tempted to just do this and see how it works for me.

-- Stefan the Yank ex-pat in Victoria, BC..
    Fi is not for long term use abroad, and you will be subject to termination eventually so I'd watch out for that. You should look into Wind Mobile, Koodo, or Fido.

Sent from my Pixel XL using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2