Thread: At&t Uverse voice

Feedback Score

At&t Uverse voice

I am thinking of getting Uverse voice bundled with my internet. How does Uverse voice compare to other VoIP phone services such as the one I currently have like Magic jack? Is it reliable or am I better of with landline service?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Any AT&T voice service is going to cost way more than what you currently have, or likely any other commonly available VoIP service. If I could've kept my original POTS (copper wire) AT&T service I would have, because it, of course, required no external power from me, and was dead simple reliable. But that went up in price, and what AT&T wanted for U-Verse voice was even higher. No comparison to what I eventually went with, which is (over my Comcast internet) an OBiHai device with two services: Google Voice and PhonePower. The PhonePower service cost me $35 for a year, which I'll probably drop next year. The Google Voice part is free. AT&T can't compete with that in any way, shape, or form. Part of that is you'll likely have to pay an ongoing monthly rental on a battery backup system for the U-Verse setup. It'll work for a while during a regular power outage, but I've got various cell phones that'll tide me over during something like that.

I'd say if your MagicJack service is working for you to stick with it.

Feedback Score
    MagicJack works well for the most part my only issue is it wont let me call certain numbers. But I could always use my cell for that. After thinking it over yeah I am think I am going to cancel my order.

Feedback Score
    I have been using an OBI box on Google Voice for the last 3 years, and it works as good or better than the old copper wire POTS.
    The box is $40 at Fry's, was easy to set up, and could use my nice Panasonic cordless phones.
    GV has NO call in tech support, OBI T/S was great.

Not sure when GV might start charging, but so far it's free. They could possibly sell the contact list to Telemarketers, but haven't seen any evidence of that. GV catches a lot of them and sends to the Spam folder. If in doubt, don't use the contact list in GV.

My Uverse Internet costs $33/mo. incl tax. The POTS cost was $28/mo, but after taxes totaled almost $40. A friend has the UVerse internet,
    and phone. Cost for the phone is $20/mo, but only allowed 200 minutes. If you go over, the max is an extra $10. She is going to try an OBI.
    I'm curious as to what #'s the MJ won't call? Haven't had any rejections with GV.

Get an old Verizon phone and put it on Page Plus, (6 to 8c/min;120 days) or a Tmobile prepaid (10-16c/min;90 days to 1 yr)
    for backup. My cost is $30/year for PP (most of my calls), $10/yr for Tmobile (keep it to preserve legacy phone #.)