View Poll Results: Where to port Landline to?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Directly to a cell phone

1 25.00%
  • Port to a VoIP provider and forward to a cell

3 75.00%

Thread: Port landline directly to call phone? or port to a VoIP and forward to my cell?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

Port landline directly to call phone? or port to a VoIP and forward to my cell?

i currently have Verizon landline and dsl.
    i had to have a landline for dsl. no dry loop offered.

just got cable internet and tv so i don't need dsl anymore thus ready to cut the cord.
    but i want to keep my landline phone #.

I've heard 2 options:
    -port directly to a cell
    -port to a VoIP provider and forward to a cell.

I have Kyrocera Hydo cell phone running Android 4.x (kitkat?).
    the provider is FreedomPop. there are no monthly fees! and i get 200min free!

this cell phone will stay in the house.

I'm leaning towards porting to a VoIP provider because of e-911 service.
    and more flexibility incase FreedomPop stops making their service free.

If i go with VoIP, which VoIP provider do you recommend?

thx

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Well when we were faced with the same question, it was five years ago, when VoIP wasn't that reliable. I decided to port directly to a cell phone and use one of those Bluetooth boxes that also interfaces a cell phone to regular rj11 phones (tied into house phone wiring). It has worked great... You can always instruct that cell phone to forward to another number whenever you want.

Today I'd probable make the same choice... I guess I trust a cell phone infrastructure to be more solid and prioritize phone service than the internet providers (I still hear of Comcast phone outages now and then). But I'd also consider Google voice as well so I could forward to multiple numbers and filter calls better. Also I hear of horror stories trying to get certain VoIP vendors to give up your number if you want to port out.

Feedback Score
    I've done both, port to cell and port to voip. I would suggest porting to voip. I use voip.ms which has great flexibility on handling your call. When someone calls the number I ported, it rings phones in the house connected to a voip device (see below) and my cell phone at the same time. To the caller, they call one number and calls follow me everywhere. The advantage is I can switch cellphone plans to follow the best deals but the number that people have for me never changes. When I travel (I'm in Canada), say I go to the USA, I add the temporary US cell number to my list of numbers that ring and calls get routed to the US cell phone. Totally transparent to the caller.

In the house I have one Analogue Telephone Adapter (AT) to which I connect a cordless phone with a bunch of handsets that are distributed around the house. So in the house everything looks and works like a traditional land line. Yes, do subscribe for the 911 service on your voip provider.

The other thing you can do with voip is make voip calls on your cell. I do that in places where I have wifi but no cell service or when travelling to other countries to avoid roaming charges to phoning people back home. To callers, the caller ID that shows up is my home number.

With voip.ms there are other features I like and use
    - I have other voip.ms numbers in other cities, it's a local call for family and friends there to call me
    - calls to other numbers on voip.ms are free, when I travel, calls home via voip from anywhere in the world are free.
    - The caller ID filter hangs up on telemarketers
    - essentially I have a phone system of a big company for a couple of dollars per month.

As monkeyboy says, for voip, you need a solid Internet connection. I ran both the old landline and the voip for 6 months to try out voip before porting and cancelling the land line to be sure it would work flawlessly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    . . .

If i go with VoIP, which VoIP provider do you recommend?

thx
    Hello, fstuff.

If you want a rock-solid VoIP provider and are willing to spend about $5.00/ month, go with CallCentric ($1.95/month for the phone No., also know as incoming DID, $1.95/month for 120 incoming minutes including E-911, and outgoing calls at 1.9¢/minute).

If you want a solid provider and only want to spend about $2.50/month, do as tony49122 suggested and go with VoIP.ms (85¢/month for the DID, 1¢/minute for inbound calls and .9¢/minute for outbound calls both measured in six second increments, E-911 is extra, free in and out messaging).

Last time I checked, neither provider charged for porting-in your DID

You really can't go wrong with either one. It's the difference between 99.9% for CC and 97.9% for VoIP.ms.

Good luck whichever provider you choose.
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    Why not use Google Voice? Reputable company, free service, and a host of available features in addition to call forwarding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    Why not use Google Voice? Reputable company, free service, and a host of available features in addition to call forwarding.
    I would also recommend Google voice. It's absolutely free.
    And you don't even need a cell phone. Buy an Obi 110 ATA at Amazon and set up Google voice with it. Then connect the box to your cordless phone . Voilà!
    Home phone service that can be forwarded to your cell when you need it.

I got sick of paying time Warner for TV and landline so I bought my own cable modem and this ATA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    That would be an excellent choice as long as you don't care about your privacy or how Google watches you and profits from your personal information.