Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Rogers coverage in Newfoundland

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Rogers coverage in Newfoundland

Just switched to Rogers back in May here in Newfoundland. I have noticed that the coverage area is nowhere near as large as Bell or Telus, which is a shame because in my opinion Rogers has a much more solid LTE network than Bell when coverage is available (such as here in St. John's). Just wondering if anyone has any idea if Rogers has anything planned in terms of expansion across the province?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Likely not....Bell (Aliant) and TELUS pretty much have the east-coast saturated. There'd be no real return on investment for Rogers to expand in those areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm not so sure about that. There are a few decently populated towns that have little or no Rogers coverage whatsoever e.g. Gander, Grand Falls-Windsor and Conception Bay South. Surely there would be some return on investment in these places seeing as how Rogers also has cable, home phone and Internet services in these areas as well (bundling for existing customers would become an option). I'm originally from a small community on the Bonavista Peninsula where the entire area is filled with tourists in the summer and early fall every year. Many of these are also Rogers customers as well but yet there is no coverage past the airport in Clarenville. Definitely a lot of business being lost here! Especially since most Newfoundlanders are beginning to despise Aliant after the 100% takeover by Bell.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers coverage in Newfoundland

Well they now have EXT (roaming on the Bellus network). Maybe they'll start investing in some Nfld upgrades as they're currently doing in Saskatchewan?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Newfoundland was upgraded from 2G to 3G a couple of years ago; Saskatchewan (outside of Regina and Saskatoon) is only getting this upgrade right now. So Newfoundland has already gotten "the upgrade" from Rogers.

Rogers will roam on BellAliant, as long as your BellAliant usage isn't over 50% of your total usage. That having been said, if you go outside the Clarenville-to-St. John's corridor much, you'd be far better off going with Bell.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    True. The Sask upgrade is an HSPA/LTE overlay on top of their existing 2G footprint so no "new" coverage I guess.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Rogers EXT roaming is great, one of the big reasons I switched from Bell. The only thing that I don't like about it is that when roaming on Bell I seem to be throttled down to EDGE speeds for data (which is the main reason I'd like to see Rogers expand their core network here instead). It becomes a real annoyance when I leave town and do not have WiFi coverage. I will give Rogers some credit though. They are undergoing a major expansion in the St. John's Metro it seems. A couple of new towers have gone live in the past couple of months and about 10 more have been approved by St. John's city council recently. Let's just hope they decide to build outside of the metro once these new towers are built!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    You say one of the big reasons for switching from Bell to Rogers is because of EXT...why wouldn't you just stay with Bell and enjoy an un-throttled native coverage experience? Is Rogers giving you a better rate?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Was a Bell customer for 7 years. Horrible customer service and at the end of it was getting charged almost every month for data overages I didn't use, US roaming which I never did and long distance calls I never made (neither of which Bell was able to explain). My home services are already with Rogers and I already own my phone so I was able to bundle and get a cheaper rate with the same plan I had previously with Bell. Overall I have been having a good experience with Rogers thus far and don't plan on switching back to Bell anytime soon. Just wondered if there were any talks of Rogers expanding but even if they don't, the existing coverage and extended roaming agreement suffice for me.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Make sure you don't go over 50% on EXT, or you'll lose it for good. You have to spend more than half the time on Rogers service. That includes both voice, and data.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Gotcha. So it was a combo of customer service and monthly rate that drove you to switch. Fair enough. It's a shame that EXT speed is throttled so much. It's supposed to be slower but didn't know it was that bad. Perhaps it's just in certain areas because some people have reported fairly decent EXT speeds.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up. Have there been any reports of anyone being completely blocked from EXT yet? I have yet to encounter anyone who has but I'm a new customer so I don't know how long it typically takes a customer to get "blocked" if their monthly usage is continuously over 50% EXT

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes @toolcube I did have good EXT speeds in the beginning. Only this past month have they decreased when I've been out of the city on the weekends. I'm starting to wonder if I'm being throttled for using the network a bit too often!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    I haven't seen anyone here report being cut off yet, but always good to keep a mental note of where you're on EXT. IIRC, it's a 3 month average.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! I'll definitely have to keep an eye on my usage.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast