Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Rogers coverage in Newfoundland

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    I haven't seen anyone here report being cut off yet, but always good to keep a mental note of where you're on EXT. IIRC, it's a 3 month average.
    On my iPhone 5S In the Settings : Cellular setting you get Call Time and Cellular Data Usage that Apple counts your talk time and data usage but I don't think it differentiates between Wind and roaming. In the Wind app it counts the talk time, data usage and texts for local and roaming so you could account for overages I guess. My roaming is off so it is always zero for me on that.

I'll ASSume that Rogers has the same for their app or website, but do they indicate the percentage of time spent on EXT over the 3 months since you can be kicked off if you exceed your average? If they can measure it to be able to kick you off if you exceed it, they should be able to show it to you so you are aware of how close you are.

Just curious.

Via HoFo App on an iPhone 5S
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I can't find anything on my phone settings or on the Rogers site that measures my usage on the Rogers network vs usage on EXT. So it's kind of hard to keep track

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    Yes @toolcube I did have good EXT speeds in the beginning. Only this past month have they decreased when I've been out of the city on the weekends. I'm starting to wonder if I'm being throttled for using the network a bit too often!
    Up until now I haven't heard of any throttling (mind you, I hadn't been looking carefully for reports of throttling either). I thought the slower speeds on EXT was because Rogers was only roaming on Bellus HSPA+, not their LTE network. I don't see what Rogers would get out of throttling, since the whole point of offering EXT (I presume) is to reduce customer churn due to "no service" issues, and to reduce Rogers' CAPEX. EXT means a slight increase to OPEX in exchange for a significant reduction in CAPEX, and if that's the goal then throttling doesn't seem to help Rogers at all. And with Industry Canada mandating domestic roaming, Bellus can't throttle Rogers without their permission, can they?. Unless Bellus offered to reduce Rogers' roaming rates if they accepted throttling, I guess?

One possible explanation is Bellus' network experiencing congestion. Another is Bellus may be actively shifting HSPA spectrum to LTE in your area, which would reduce speeds generally, and further increase the odds of congestion-related slowdown.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that it's Bell that's doing the throttling. I'm guessing they're already unhappy about having to share their network with Rogers (I know SaskTel is very unhappy about this in Saskatchewan). If Bell, SaskTel, etc. are allowed to throttle data access for Rogers customers, they'd be idiots not to do it. They want their own customers to have a superior experience.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Just a theory here but Bell has been flipping on LTE-A in a lot of places as of late. I would put my money on HSPA+ being slower due to losing the PCS spectrum to LTE/LTE-A
    Neither Bell nor Telus advertise DC-HSPA anymore on their coverage maps

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    My guess is that it's Bell that's doing the throttling. I'm guessing they're already unhappy about having to share their network with Rogers (I know SaskTel is very unhappy about this in Saskatchewan). If Bell, SaskTel, etc. are allowed to throttle data access for Rogers customers, they'd be idiots not to do it. They want their own customers to have a superior experience.
    Sasktel's unhappy about it now that the new rules for domestic roaming require that the maximum wholesale rates are equivalent to each carrier's retail rates, which was a massive shortfall in revenue for Sasktel. They complained to Industry Canada about that at the time quite vociferously. The things they said in complaining about it suggested they were quite happy to sell wholesale service to the big 3 prior to the new maximum rate rules (as they were charging a lot more beforehand).

Feedback Score
    Hi newfoundlander1,

We do offer our Extended Coverage service in areas that our main towers do not cover. More info on the EXT network can be found here http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wi...setLanguage=en

Also here is more info on the usage limitations of the service:

Extended Coverage is meant to provide additional coverage, outside of the Rogers network. It’s available for most Rogers postpaid wireless customers (excluding Wireless Home Phone, Wireless Business Phone, Rocket Hub, prepaid and zone-based or calling circle plans such as My5/10, small business shared plans and MY1/2/5 enterprise business plans) in areas they sometimes travel to. It’s intended for occasional use; the majority of your monthly usage (talk, text and data) must occur on the Rogers network. If the majority of your monthly usage occurs within Extended Coverage areas, we may restrict or limit your access to Extended Coverage on an ongoing basis.

If you have any other questions please PM us.

Thanks,

@RogerShaan
    Last edited by RogersHelps; 08-10-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Up until now I haven't heard of any throttling (mind you, I hadn't been looking carefully for reports of throttling either). I thought the slower speeds on EXT was because Rogers was only roaming on Bellus HSPA+, not their LTE network. I don't see what Rogers would get out of throttling, since the whole point of offering EXT (I presume) is to reduce customer churn due to "no service" issues, and to reduce Rogers' CAPEX. EXT means a slight increase to OPEX in exchange for a significant reduction in CAPEX, and if that's the goal then throttling doesn't seem to help Rogers at all. And with Industry Canada mandating domestic roaming, Bellus can't throttle Rogers without their permission, can they?. Unless Bellus offered to reduce Rogers' roaming rates if they accepted throttling, I guess?

One possible explanation is Bellus' network experiencing congestion. Another is Bellus may be actively shifting HSPA spectrum to LTE in your area, which would reduce speeds generally, and further increase the odds of congestion-related slowdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CTremblay85 View Post
    Just a theory here but Bell has been flipping on LTE-A in a lot of places as of late. I would put my money on HSPA+ being slower due to losing the PCS spectrum to LTE/LTE-A
    Neither Bell nor Telus advertise DC-HSPA anymore on their coverage maps
    This is not the case. DC-HSPA+ is still live and well.
    From Telus' coverage notes:

Network speeds vary with location, signal and customer device. Compatible device required. Manufacturer’s rated peak download speeds: LTE Advanced, up to 225 Mbps; LTE, up to 110 Mbps; HSPA+, up to 42 Mbps. Average expected speeds: LTE Advanced, 12-65 Mbps; LTE, 12-45 Mpbs; HSPA+, 4-14 Mbps.
    They have plenty of PCS between them for their 10+10MHz LTE as well as DC-HSPA+. They had some unused spectrum as well as spectrum available for re-farming from the shutdown of EVDO and CDMA.

As for throttling, that is not happening from Telus's and Bell's end, although I would not be surprised if there was some sort of network prioritization, but that would only come into effect if the tower was loaded. Since the vast majority of EXT is in rural areas, this would hardly ever be noticeable. It is possible that Rogers could be throttling as it would be their customers would using less data so Rogers would not have to pay as much. From a technical perspective however, this doesn't seem very likely though.

Lastly, it could be that EXT is only for single carrier HSPA and not DC-HSPA+. A combination of that, being HSPA and not LTE, and possibly some prioritization, could create the somewhat slower speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I'm not sure which side I am being throttled on (Rogers or Bell) but I do know that I am definitely being throttled. I've done a couple of speed tests just to see when I am on extended coverage and no matter what tower I connect to on the EXT network in any area the speed test results are usually around 0.25 Mbps download and 0.5-1 Mbps Upload. It's funny because the upload is almost always faster than the download speed for whatever reason. I don't think any spectrum has been taken away from HSPA+ because like what @Dr. J stated above there is more than enough spectrum left over from the slow decommission of the old CDMA network.

And @RogerShaan, thank you for that vague answer. That gives me absolutely no insight into how to check my EXT usage which is the real question here. But maybe you can answer my previous question that I started this post with. Are there any plans for Rogers to expand their own network across various parts of Newfoundland and Labrador anytime soon, and if so where?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    They have plenty of PCS between them for their 10+10MHz LTE as well as DC-HSPA+. They had some unused spectrum as well as spectrum available for re-farming from the shutdown of EVDO and CDMA.

As for throttling, that is not happening from Telus's and Bell's end, although I would not be surprised if there was some sort of network prioritization, but that would only come into effect if the tower was loaded. Since the vast majority of EXT is in rural areas, this would hardly ever be noticeable. It is possible that Rogers could be throttling as it would be their customers would using less data so Rogers would not have to pay as much. From a technical perspective however, this doesn't seem very likely though.
    Why is this technically unlikely? In the U.S. it's common for carriers to pay for varying speeds. Because of its wholesale roaming deal with T-Mobile, Roam Mobility can offer unlimited data at 2G speeds for $1.95/day, or 400MB of high-speed data and unlimited data at 2G speeds thereafter for $3.95 a day. AT&T's Cricket subsidiary throttles speeds down to a maximum download speed of 8Mbps (though uploads are not throttled, so on LTE it's not uncommon for upload speeds to exceed download speeds). It seems more than possible to throttle it from a technical point of view.

Your theory that Rogers might opt into throttling to discourage streaming and other high data usage tasks actually makes a lot of sense to me, that's the only theory I've heard so far that might explain why Rogers would opt for throttling.

As for DC-HSPA+ being alive and well, that *may* be true. But for how long? If Bell has begun removing reference to it, it may be on the way out as more and more spectrum gets pushed towards LTE. From what I can gather, all the spectrum being freed up by the decommissioning of CDMA2000 networks is going straight to LTE, it's not going towards their HSPA network.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers coverage in Newfoundland

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    As for DC-HSPA+ being alive and well, that *may* be true. But for how long? If Bell has begun removing reference to it, it may be on the way out as more and more spectrum gets pushed towards LTE. From what I can gather, all the spectrum being freed up by the decommissioning of CDMA2000 networks is going straight to LTE, it's not going towards their HSPA network.
    I think that's exactly why DC-HSPA+ isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Bell and Telus are using the freed-up spectrum from their EVDO shut-down instead of re-farming HSPA spectrum. To be honest, I just think Bell is trying to simplify their coverage maps a bit. They can categorize all forms of HSPA+ (including DC) as simply "HSPA+" and most people won't even care.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    I think that's exactly why DC-HSPA+ isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Bell and Telus are using the freed-up spectrum from their EVDO shut-down instead of re-farming HSPA spectrum. To be honest, I just think Bell is trying to simplify their coverage maps a bit. They can categorize all forms of HSPA+ (including DC) as simply "HSPA+" and most people won't even care.
    Exactly. Telus has done the same thing, but they note in the fine print that HSPA+ s "up to 42 Mbps" which would be DC-HSPA+.
    There is zero rush to refarm current HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ spectrum for LTE due to all the other spectrum they have available currently. PCS is currenly being re-farmed from CDMA, so there is that, as it CLR in a few areas. BRS is hardly deployed, and Telus just acquired another 20+20MHz nationwide at the auction. Telus has SMR/Extended-CLR (800MHz) that will be freed-up as they shut down MIKE and iDen. Telus and Bell also have nationwide 5+5MHz Band 12 and nationwide 12MHz Band 29 supplemental downlink. Not to mention the 10+10MHz AWS-3 that will be usable in 2ish years.

With all that spectrum they could put to use, there is no rush to change any HSPA+ configurations for quite some time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Full LTE coverage in Clarenville as of this morning. Seems like Rogers is finally expanding (or at least upgrading) LTE across Newfoundland. Both Band 4 and Band 17 available on my iPhone 6S and speeds are amazing. Nice to finally see some changes in NL outside of St. John's coverage wise!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Band 4 and Band 17 LTE now live in Portugal Cove as well.

Feedback Score
    How is Rogers coverage along Highway 1 from St. John's to Clarenville? Does it drop down to EXT roaming much or can you consistently use Rogers' native network? Is microwave backhaul still being used in NL?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast