Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Rogers coverage in Newfoundland

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's a little spotty in parts but overall not too bad. You still wouldn't be able to carry a phone call the entire way though. I've been able to make a call from the East End of St. John's and have it last until I got to the Veterans Memorial Highway overpass where it dropped (there's a big coverage gap from that overpass until just before Whitbourne on the TCH). There's also dead zones around the Southern Harbour turn off, Goobies and North West Brook - Adeytown. Microwave backhaul is still a major thing on Rogers' network here it seems outside of St. John's Metro. The towers in Come By Chance, Doe Hills, Whitbourne and Portugal Cove are all microwave. Clarenville was microwave but looks like it may have been upgraded to fibre recently with the launch of LTE, since I no longer see a dish on the tower. Holyrood, Conception Bay South, Paradise and St. John's towers seem to mostly be fibre.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    It's a little spotty in parts but overall not too bad. You still wouldn't be able to carry a phone call the entire way though. I've been able to make a call from the East End of St. John's and have it last until I got to the Veterans Memorial Highway overpass where it dropped (there's a big coverage gap from that overpass until just before Whitbourne on the TCH). There's also dead zones around the Southern Harbour turn off, Goobies and North West Brook - Adeytown. Microwave backhaul is still a major thing on Rogers' network here it seems outside of St. John's Metro. The towers in Come By Chance, Doe Hills, Whitbourne and Portugal Cove are all microwave. Clarenville was microwave but looks like it may have been upgraded to fibre recently with the launch of LTE, since I no longer see a dish on the tower. Holyrood, Conception Bay South, Paradise and St. John's towers seem to mostly be fibre.
    Interesting. Thanks. When I was in St. John's, I hardly knew anyone who used Rogers. In the past they only had sites on Stavanger Drive, Water St & in the hills off Kenmount Rd. somewhere - it looks like since then they've added a site at the Pitts Memorial Dr/TCH interchange & at Crosbie Road off Columbus Drive by the mall. Is their reception still as strong as Bell despite this? I guess their sites may be larger/taller in size and less congested than many of Bell's small antennas on buildings but certainly a lot less dense. In many areas Bell has antennas less than a kilometer apart (University Health Science Centre, again somewhere further east at the campus, at their CO on Allandale Road, and at 69 Elizabeth Ave). Do you ever lose signal anywhere in the city? I know Bell used to be awful in the Merrymeeting Road area but good mostly everywhere else. No longer in NL but curious.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They also have a new tower at the Allandale Road/Ridge Road intersection right next to the Outer Ring Road which has boosted coverage in the East End significantly where I live, at the University and on the Trans Canada Highway. That only went live back in July so the tower map online has not been updated to show that site yet. There are still places in the city where you lose reception but only in buildings made of concrete or basements. I worked on the first floor right in the centre of the Health Sciences Centre this summer and could not get Rogers coverage in my office, but my colleagues had full service on Bell and Telus (due to Bell antennas installed on the roof of the Health Sciences Centre). In places like this, EXT coverage is definitely utilized to the fullest, but I'm sure it won't be too much longer before the University/Hospital has a Rogers tower installed anyways. Rogers has been applying to build new towers in the city and the metro area for the past year and seems to be expanding aggressively.

So far approved sites that I know of are:

251 Empire Avenue - roof of NL Legal Aid Centre
    42 Sugarloaf Place - tower overlooking East End/Logy Bay
    12 Gleneyre Street - roof of Wedgewood Medical Centre
    80 The Boulevard - roof of apartment building in Quidi Vidi
    140 Water Street - roof of TD building (even though they currently have antennas across the street on top of 139 Water Street. odd.)
    251 Anspatch Street - tower next to apartment building right off Columbus Drive
    34 St. Anne's Crescent in Paradise - tower overlooking Topsail Road, Kenmount and Trans Canada Highway areas

They also tried to build ones in Airport Heights and Torbay but of course the NIMBY was out in full force and these never got approved. Which is too bad because coverage inside the Airport is minimal and Torbay is non existant down in the harbour.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    They also have a new tower at the Allandale Road/Ridge Road intersection right next to the Outer Ring Road which has boosted coverage in the East End significantly where I live, at the University and on the Trans Canada Highway. That only went live back in July so the tower map online has not been updated to show that site yet. There are still places in the city where you lose reception but only in buildings made of concrete or basements. I worked on the first floor right in the centre of the Health Sciences Centre this summer and could not get Rogers coverage in my office, but my colleagues had full service on Bell and Telus (due to Bell antennas installed on the roof of the Health Sciences Centre). In places like this, EXT coverage is definitely utilized to the fullest, but I'm sure it won't be too much longer before the University/Hospital has a Rogers tower installed anyways. Rogers has been applying to build new towers in the city and the metro area for the past year and seems to be expanding aggressively.

So far approved sites that I know of are:

251 Empire Avenue - roof of NL Legal Aid Centre
    42 Sugarloaf Place - tower overlooking East End/Logy Bay
    12 Gleneyre Street - roof of Wedgewood Medical Centre
    80 The Boulevard - roof of apartment building in Quidi Vidi
    140 Water Street - roof of TD building (even though they currently have antennas across the street on top of 139 Water Street. odd.)
    251 Anspatch Street - tower next to apartment building right off Columbus Drive
    34 St. Anne's Crescent in Paradise - tower overlooking Topsail Road, Kenmount and Trans Canada Highway areas

They also tried to build ones in Airport Heights and Torbay but of course the NIMBY was out in full force and these never got approved. Which is too bad because coverage inside the Airport is minimal and Torbay is non existant down in the harbour.
    Wow, that's a pretty good densification plan if/when the sites get built. I recall the 251 Empire Ave application and the opposition it faced from people living on Empire Ave & Grenfell Ave behind the Legal Aid building. Nice that it got approved anyway, fear mongering was/is well and alive there. I took a look at the cell tower map at http://tafl.jonathanmorgan.net and I see a new site at the TCH Allandale Rd exit like you mentioned. It seems to be a shared Bell/Rogers site? The Bell listing says 140 Ridge Rd. and Rogers says 130 Allandale Rd. for whatever it's worth but they seemed to be plotted on the map at the same exact location. Rogers seems to be only 850 MHz though? (877.5 MHz transmit / 832.5 MHz receive). Maybe it's not accurate. Either way, great to see more expansion. Bell/Telus covers the area well but competition never hurt anyone. Eastlink would be nice too, given its local origin (NS at least) and especially its cable TV/internet/phone market in rural NL.

Rogers Communications
    A1292-130 Allandale Rd. - Ward 4 P
    TX: 877.5 MHz
    RX: 832.5 MHz
    License: 7113890
    CoE: V7WEC
    Antenna Height: 36 m

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebucto902 View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty good densification plan if/when the sites get built. I recall the 251 Empire Ave application and the opposition it faced from people living on Empire Ave & Grenfell Ave behind the Legal Aid building. Nice that it got approved anyway, fear mongering was/is well and alive there. I took a look at the cell tower map at http://tafl.jonathanmorgan.net and I see a new site at the TCH Allandale Rd exit like you mentioned. It seems to be a shared Bell/Rogers site? The Bell listing says 140 Ridge Rd. and Rogers says 130 Allandale Rd. for whatever it's worth but they seemed to be plotted on the map at the same exact location. Rogers seems to be only 850 MHz though? (877.5 MHz transmit / 832.5 MHz receive). Maybe it's not accurate. Either way, great to see more expansion. Bell/Telus covers the area well but competition never hurt anyone. Eastlink would be nice too, given its local origin (NS at least) and especially its cable TV/internet/phone market in rural NL.
    Thanks for sharing the link, lots of detailed info on there. It is a shared Bell/Rogers site, not sure why the addresses are different. Bell has 850 MHz & 1900 MHz 3G on that site as well as 1900 MHz & 2100 MHz LTE. Rogers has 850 MHz 3G and 700 MHz LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    According to the cell tower map at loxcel.com 2 more towers have been added in Corner Brook bringing a grand total to 3.

- Existing Co-location on a Bell tower at Boone's Road upgraded to 700 MHz LTE and 2100 MHz LTE.
    - New Co-location on a Bell tower just off the Trans Canada Highway south of Corner Brook running 850 MHz 3G and 700 MHz LTE.
    - New antennas installed on the roof of either the BDC Building or the attached ScotiaMcLeod building on Herald Avenue in downtown Corner Brook running 850 MHz 3G and 700 MHz LTE.

Also a new co-location on a Bell Mobility tower on Bell Island looks to be solving deadzones on Bell Island, St. Philip's and parts of Conception Bay South and Paradise (including the major deadzone at Topsail Beach!). Running 850 MHz 3G and 700 MHz LTE. Awesome to see Rogers finally expanding somewhat aggressively after all these years. All towers have been upgraded to LTE in the province except for 5 along the highway between St. John's and Clarenville, which I'm sure will be upgraded in just a matter of time.

Noticed new Rogers antennas finally installed on roof of 251 Empire Avenue in Centre City St. John's and at 80 The Boulevard in Quidi Vidi. Not live yet but should be in next couple weeks I'm assuming!

Feedback Score
    Anyone have a tutorial on how to use the map. Can't figure it out.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey_nf View Post
    Anyone have a tutorial on how to use the map. Can't figure it out.
    If you're referring to the loxcel.com cell tower map, you'll have to go to the homepage and hover over Product Info and select "Cell Tower Subscription" from the drop down menu. From there you'll be brought to another page with more information on the subscription. On this page simply click the subscribe button and enter in your purchase information. You can choose different subscription prices and lengths of time. They are fairly expensive so I just selected the 5 hour subscription for $9.95.

After you have completed the purchase of your subscription, hover over the "Apps/Tools" section on the top of the page. Click the cell tower map from the drop down menu. Once the map loads you must click the sign in button on the top right corner of the map. You must sign in with the same email you used when entering your purchase information. You should then be able to access the cell tower map for 5 hours.

BTW, if you wanted to try a free alternative you could try this site http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

It isn't as up to date as the paid one but most of the sites in Canada are on there (as recent as May 1st 2015).

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    I believe the Empire Ave tower is active. Drove by there yesterday and full signal. Not sure about the on by quidi vidi. I remember a little while ago they filed an application to build on sugarloaf road. Hope this happens. Will greatly improve service near my home

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Awesome @miked2016 hopefully they get construction started soon. Coverage in the east end and centre city has greatly improved over the past year. I'm hoping they soon find an alternate location for a tower around Airport Heights that was turned down last summer. I spend a lot of time there and may be moving back there again soon and in certain areas there is nothing but EDGE coverage in most basement apartments especially in the upper part of the neighbourhood.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully highway service improves. Not long after Avondale the signal drop to edge or no service. EXT has helped but annoying for call to drop then having to wait a few minutes for extended network to cut in to complete the call

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I'm familiar with this spot as well and trust me I feel your pain. Too bad they couldn't co locate on the Bell tower that exists at the intersection of TCH and Veterans Memorial already. That seems to be the very center of the dead zone. If they were worried about costs maybe co locating could help them with that rather than a new construction.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It's more about ROI for Rogers. They assess their customer base in any particular location before deciding to spend tens of thousands on a new site (even if it's a co-location). It's probably far cheaper for them to continue paying Bell/Telus to roam on their network in Nflnd since Rogers would have a hard time recouping the costs of building their own site in an area where they have very few customers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I understand what you're saying @toolcube and you make perfect sense but I think they could easily recoup costs in this area though, whether they did a co-location or a new tower. The amount of traffic on the Trans Canada Highway in this area as well as the neighbouring Veterans Memorial Highway is one of the busiest intersections in the province. I'm really surprised that this is even a dead zone at all, to be honest.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1456153867.850838.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  47.0 KB

Band 17 LTE at Topsail Beach in Conception Bay South. Was always a complete deadzone before until recently with the new co location with Bell Mobility across the bay on the Bell Island tower. All deadzones have been filled between Portugal Cove to the end of Conception Bay South with this new site. Awesome news for all the visitors that come here summertime! Decent speeds as well but I'm guessing this tower is pretty empty still especially at this time of day. Wonder if people in CBS will consider Rogers a viable option now?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast