Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New 10 and 90 day plans are available now

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Feedback Score
    Unethical is creating artificial restrictions so you can charge most of your customers twice as much for the exact same service.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    Unethical is creating artificial restrictions so you can charge most of your customers twice as much for the exact same service.
    How does having 2 brands equal twice the price lol?
    To the contrary they usually result in a high end & low end brand

And either way, if both brands were more expensive than competitors then it makes no sense
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Feedback Score
    Telus, owners of Public, creators and owners of Koodo, charge about 1/2 as much for identical plans if you live in SK, MB. Signing up for one of those actually competitive plans then porting in a preferred number is not unethical.

Feedback Score
    There's a post on Public Mobile's forum from Luddite with a step by step activation of the Public Mobile sim and account with little or no problems. Go to. http://productioncommunity.publicmob...-p/28420#M4094. Just an example, if you get 4 GB, it's 1.33 GB per month and with unlimited province wide calling and unlimited Canada wide texting with auto pay, it works out to $38 per month. Can't find that pricing anywhere else for a national wide carrier
    Kokopelli

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buddshek View Post
    There's a post on Public Mobile's forum from Luddite with a step by step activation of the Public Mobile sim and account with little or no problems. Go to. http://productioncommunity.publicmob...-p/28420#M4094. Just an example, if you get 4 GB, it's 1.33 GB per month and with unlimited province wide calling and unlimited Canada wide texting with auto pay, it works out to $38 per month. Can't find that pricing anywhere else for a national wide carrier
    Actually that 4GB is for 90 days, so you can use all 4GB in the first month then would have nothing for the remaining 2 months of the term.

Feedback Score
    which is even better!! or use 500MB for each of the first 2 months and have 3 GB for the last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke0415 View Post
    Actually that 4GB is for 90 days, so you can use all 4GB in the first month then would have nothing for the remaining 2 months of the term.

Feedback Score
    It seems that Mansi from Public Mobile ( http://productioncommunity.publicmob...-p/30142#M4593 ) has posted that the majority of new activations haven't had that many activation problems in the last 2 weeks. Might be a good time to activate an account with them now, if you've looking for a decent and a cost effective cellular service

Feedback Score
    Add-Ons question.

400 mins of international long distance for $15 is one add-on. Can these minutes be used for Canada and US calling?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
    Add-Ons question.

400 mins of international long distance for $15 is one add-on. Can these minutes be used for Canada and US calling?
    Yes they can be used for Canada an US calling

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    You want a complete list of the new Public Mobile 90 plans, including the $6/90 days auto-pay discount, averaged out as if they were monthly plans? You've got it! Here is (unless I missed one) every combination of 90 day plan that Public Mobile offers.
    Almost all the old plans are gone. The only plans you can recreate are the ones with at least global text, and at least 6GB/90 days. Those plans are legitimately cheaper than they used to be, as Public Mobile claims. For example:

2.03 GB/month (ie. 6 GB over 90 days) Provincial talk, global text; goes from the equivalent of $47.34 to $38.55 per month

4.06 GB/month (ie. 12 GB over 90 days) Canada/U.S. talk, global text; goes from the equivalent of $76.09 to $71.02.

(As before, I didn't simply take the 90 days and divide by three. I averaged it out over the course of a 365.25 day year to come up with a monthly average. Also as before, I included the $6/90 days auto-pay discount, but did not include any of the other reward opportunities.)

Here are all the new options:

$23.67 Province-wide talk only
    $33.82 Province-wide talk & Global Text
    $35.51 Province-wide talk, Global Text, & 3GB/90 days
    $38.55 Province-wide talk, Global Text, & 6GB/90 days
    $60.88 Province-wide talk, Global Text, & 12GB/90 days

$28.75 Canada-wide talk only
    $38.89 Canada-wide talk & Global Text
    $40.58 Canada-wide talk, Global Text, & 3GB/90 days
    $43.63 Canada-wide talk, Global Text, & 6GB/90 days
    $65.95 Canada-wide talk, Global Text, & 12GB/90 days

$33.82 Canada & U.S. talk only
    $43.97 Canada & U.S. talk & Global Text
    $45.66 Canada & U.S. talk, Global Text, & 3GB/90 days
    $48.70 Canada & U.S. talk, Global Text, & 6GB/90 days
    $71.02 Canada & U.S. talk, Global Text, & 12GB/90 days

$21.64 Global Text only
    $33.48 Global Text & 3GB/90 days
    $36.53 Global Text & 6GB/90 days
    $58.85 Global Text & 12GB/90 days

$23.34 Data-only 3GB/90 days
    $26.38 Data-only 6GB/90 days
    $48.70 Data-only 12GB/90 days

3GB of data works out to 1.015 GB/month
    6GB of data works out to 2.030 GB/month
    12GB of data works out to 4.058 GB/month

The calling/data-only options cost the same as calling/SMS/data (presuming the same level of calling and data are selected), so there seems to be no reason not to take SMS even if all you want is data and phoning.

So while the new packages are cheaper overall, some of the entry price-point packages simply no longer exist.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Here's a better way of expressing the data in an equivalent-to-monthly context:

$23.67 Province-wide talk only
    $33.82 Province-wide talk & Global Text
    $35.51 Province-wide talk, Global Text, & approx. 1GB
    $38.55 Province-wide talk, Global Text, & approx. 2GB
    $60.88 Province-wide talk, Global Text, & approx. 4GB

$28.75 Canada-wide talk only
    $38.89 Canada-wide talk & Global Text
    $40.58 Canada-wide talk, Global Text, & approx. 1GB
    $43.63 Canada-wide talk, Global Text, & approx. 2GB
    $65.95 Canada-wide talk, Global Text, & approx. 4GB

$33.82 Canada & U.S. talk only
    $43.97 Canada & U.S. talk & Global Text
    $45.66 Canada & U.S. talk, Global Text, & approx. 1GB
    $48.70 Canada & U.S. talk, Global Text, & approx. 2GB
    $71.02 Canada & U.S. talk, Global Text, & approx. 4GB

$21.64 Global Text only
    $33.48 Global Text & approx. 1GB
    $36.53 Global Text & approx. 2GB
    $58.85 Global Text & approx. 4GB

$23.34 Data-only & approx. 1GB
    $26.38 Data-only & approx. 2GB
    $48.70 Data-only & approx. 4Gb

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Normally we are a post-paid family, but I just switched my wife over to Public Mobile pre-paid. The wife just got the 6 GB data plan spread out over 90-days plus unlimited Canada-wide voice plus unlimited international text and MMS for $43 per 30 days, or 129 per 90 days, after auto-pay discount. Besides the very specific cross-provincial plans, I don't see anything comparable from any of the main big 6 post-paid providers (big 3 plus daughter companies), aside from occasional retention type deals.

My wife was on Koodo before and now is on Public Mobile, and not surprisingly the coverage has been the same, which means it is very good pretty much everywhere we go in Ontario. Data speeds are excellent too. None of this Wind-like horrible data speeds crap or dropped calls.

The main drawback with Public Mobile in my opinion is that they have no call centre so everything has to be done yourself or by email, so not ideal for cell newbies. The other problem is that Telus still has had growing pains in their implementation of Public Mobile's account system. For example, you're only supposed to have one account per email address, but since the back end is likely shared with Koodo (since they're the same company more or less), if you had a Koodo account under that email and wanted to port over to a new account with the same email at Public Mobile, you'd run into delays, sometimes necessitating email conversations with Public Mobile to get things working right. And the other problem is no US roaming, but as of October 2016, US roaming packages will be available, as Mr. Peppermint has indicated in the other thread. (Dunno pricing on those yet though.)

Looking at the above spreadsheet results, it looks like the best data bang for the buck is the 2 GB tier... which is perfect for my wife. She typically uses less than 1 GB per month, but sometimes will use up to 1.5ish GB. Unfortunately, for the 4 GB/12 GB tier, the pricing isn't impressive.

So, I personally am still on Fido, just because they gave me a bonus 2 GB for a year to make my grandfathered $56 2 GB plan more palatable (total 4 GB). So my Fido plan easily beats the Public Mobile equivalent, and I actually need more than 2 GB data, but mine is just a 12 month promo and not an in-market plan. Also, being post-paid, it's a bit more flexible too, and there is a call-in centre and online chat if necessary. In addition, extra data on my Fido plan is $10 per 1 GB. It's $30 per 1 GB at Public Mobile, but the good news for Public Mobile's add-on is that the leftover unused data rolls over perpetually. That's something you just don't get with post-paid offerings.
    $54 Fido 6 GB plan with $5 Value Pack: 6 GB data, unlimited global SMS/MMS, Canada-wide voice, Visual Voicemail, Name Display

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3