View Poll Results: Which carrier did you switch over from?

Voters
339. You may not vote on this poll
  • WIND Mobile

84 24.78%
  • Rogers (Incl. Fido / Chatr)

133 39.23%
  • Bell (Incl. Virgin Mobile)

51 15.04%
  • TELUS (Incl. Public Mobile)

37 10.91%
  • Mobilcity

6 1.77%
  • Regional Carrier (Videotron, SaskTel, MTS, EastLink, TBay Tel)

3 0.88%
  • Koodo (Another Plan)

25 7.37%
Page 1 of 507 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 501 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get the $48 Manitoba plan anywhere in Canada

Device(s)
    iPhone X & 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

How to get the $48 Manitoba plan anywhere in Canada

Update February 29, 2016: Removed all references to Saskatchewan as this plan is now only available in Manitoba.

Hello there! Glad you made it to this thread, because everything you need to know is right here, whether you heard about this "promo" plan from forums, friends, family or even people trying to make a quick buck on Kijiji to setup this plan for you. This plan has been available to Manitoba/Saskatchewan residents for over a year (formerly known as $55 MB/SK Plan), but in rest of Canada the Big 3 are charging $90+ for it on their subsidiary brands (Koodo / Fido / Virgin). While its possible to get it from Virgin & Fido, they (almost) do not allow one to port in their local # over top unlike Koodo, which has been the main reason why most people go with Koodo vs the other 2 carriers.

Blast from the past: This plan used to be $55 but at the time Koodo offered 10% BYOD discount = $49.50 but Thanks to Koodo they have actually made it cheaper than what it was with BYOD discount (BYOD is no longer available on any plans by Koodo). Essentially this plan has been available for almost 2 years, but now its simpler than ever before and you still have the similar Tab options should you decide to get a device from Koodo (more info further down).

What does the $48 MB plan include exactly?
    - Unlimited Talk Canada-Wide
    - Unlimited Global Texting
    - Unlimited Canada-US MMS Picture Messaging
    - Voicemail
    - Caller-ID
    - Call Waiting
    - 5GB Data ($10/GB for overage)
    - $48/Month ($54.25 w/ Tax)

CALL FORWARDING IS NOT INCLUDED -- IT IS PAY PER USAGE OR $3/MONTH.

iPhone Users: Visual Voicemail = $2/Month Extra on top of the $48/month for the plan.

To get started here are the steps you will need to follow:
    1) Go to any local Koodo Store / Kiosk.
    2) Ask for a MB # (Being Specific with city name helps) with the cheapest Month-to-Month (Post-Paid) plan (If they do not give MB#, get a local # for ON/BC/AB)
    3) Do not insert the SIM into your phone (if you absolutely must, then you can use it, I recommend just completing the process first)
    4) Go home, sign up for Self-Serve account using the same email address you provided them at sign up / log into your Self-serve account.
    5) If you got the MB# then wait until next billing cycle (usually 4-9 Days -- can check online in your account*)
    -- If you got a ON / BC / AB #, change your # online to a MB (Click on Self Serve -- Phone Services -- Change Number)
    6) On 1st Day of your billing cycle log in to self serve account - Change plan to $48 MB (Click on Self Serve -- Phone Services -- Change my plan)
    7) Wait 24 hours**, Port - In your #. (Click on Self Serve -- Phone Services -- Change Number)

*It helps to have it show "Manitoba" in the top right corner on the website.
    ** Waiting 24 hours after changing your plan to port in your # saves you from getting double-billed ($48 for the MB# + $48 for the # you port in), Its nothing bad as the system will automatically adjust for it NEXT month or you can call in to Koodo and their helpful staff will be happy to assist you, but why bother them when you don't have to?.

What do you require to Port in?
    - Account #
    - PIN on the account If there is one (You can call in your current carrier / network to get this information).
    - Account holder name (w/ previous carrier that you are porting from and yes you can port in from a account that was under someone else's name -- simply explain the relationship in the additional info box provided on the site)

How long does the Port in Process take? Any glitches?
    - Usually takes 5 minutes but it can take as long as 24 hours (Extremely rarely to take that long but all will work out as long as it does not give you any error messages when you click Submit for the port in-request). If you do run into a problem, you can always call Koodo customer service and request assistant but I would request that you gather the required info first and take your time.
    - Sometimes your incoming calls may not work right away or your Voicemail may still forward to your previous carrier, this resolves within 24 hours at most on its own -- don't panic.

Additional FAQ:

How is the Coverage?
    - Exact same as TELUS/Bell = pretty amazing in most of Canada; you are welcome to check their respective sites.

I have multiple lines, can I port them all into one account and at the exact same time?
    - You can port in multiple Lines onto one account (will need to do one at a time...which is the way all ports are done normally...cant do two exactly at the same time)
    - You can always setup two accounts and link accounts together later as well.

I am already with Koodo, Is there anything I need to do differently to get this plan?
    - If you are a Koodo Post-Paid customer, then yes, you MUST port out to Koodo Prepaid so that you can port it in once you have setup the new plan without having to wait 10+ days (30 days in some cases), if you port to other carrier's as the Koodo system takes time to clear out your # before it allows you to port it back in.

I was lucky enough to get the Plan with a MB number from Koodo store today, whats next?
    - If you got the MB plan and happen to get the $48 MB plan from Koodo to begin with, you may go home and port in your # right away as there is no need to wait.

Do I need to give them a MB Address at time of sign up?
    - Do not give false information (Address etc), sign up using your real information as they do a credit check and you do not want to falsify any information. Lets keep this legal and clean.

Do I need to have my own unlocked phone or Can I get one from Koodo on a Tab?
    - I would recommend you buy your phone out right but if you wish to, You may get a Tab to get a new Phone after you have ported in your #.

If I bring in my own Unlocked phone, Am I eligible for BYOD discount?
    - No, as Koodo and the other carriers no longer offer BYOD discounts and have instead lowered the price of the plan making it cheaper than it was when BYOD discounts were available.

I changed my number online but it's not showing my own/new number under my name, why?
    - If you do not see your number change visible on the Koodo site, simply sign out, clear cookies if you have to, sign back in and it will show up under your name.

Anything else I should do to enhance my experience with Koodo?
    - For Better Data monitoring (Koodo sends Text at 50% and 90%), download their app.

I'm getting the following error: "We are unable to complete your request at this time. Phone number changes can only be completed once every 90 days through your online account."
    Don't fret! Wait until the next billing cycle (refer to step 6) and this error will go away.

All Above information was compiled thanks to HoFo members input over time. Special thanks to ijcy for the original post back in 2013. Here are the locked threads for reference (they're long!):
    How to get the $55- Koodo sk/mb plan
    Koodo representative says $55 MB/SK phones are subject to an audit

This post will be updated if & when new information comes available.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 02-29-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Awesome thread!! Hopefully this helps clear up questions for many.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Agreed. Thank-you, Samshares!

I wonder who among us on the old $54 SK/MB plan has the cojones to tempt fate and get the $48 version...?
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    I wonder who among us on the old $54 SK/MB plan has the cojones to tempt fate and get the $48 version...?
    It's not worth it for the $1.50 difference.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    $1.50/month and my undying respect! Ok, maybe not quite worth $1.50/month...

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    It's not worth it for the $1.50 difference.
    $1.50?
    $54 - $48 = $6
    (or even $55 - $48 = $7)

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    3) Do not insert the SIM into your phone / Do not use it at all until you are done the last step.
    ????
    Why not?

To the contrary, on the dummy plan (assuming you did not get the $48 in store) you have unlimited data from time of activation until first bill date (usually about a week)
    Seems a great time to use it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    $1.50?
    $54 - $48 = $6
    (or even $55 - $48 = $7)
    The old plan was $49.50 after the 10% BYOD discount.

$49.50-$48=$1.50

Definitely not worth it to change.

Nothing was ever $54.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A question for the FAQ:

What happens if I already put my SIM in/started using my new plan? (step 3 explicitly says not to)

My BC number's been ported away from Koodo all summer, but I'm bringing it back now. I went and got a new BC plan/number at a kiosk last week and my bill date is in a few days.

From what I gathered from the most recent news, you could just activate any BC number, (use it in the mean time), change it to an MB # in self-serve, then switch plans and port the BC number back over it after the bill cycles.

I remember this being a requirement for some of the previous ways of getting on the plan, but is it a problem with this version?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    $1.50?
    $54 - $48 = $6
    (or even $55 - $48 = $7)
    The old plan was $55. $55-10%= $5.50 which comes out to $49.50.

Feedback Score
    I am already with Koodo, Is there anything I need to do differently to get this plan?
    - Yes you need to port your number out to Koodo Prepaid so that you can port it in without having to wait 30+ days, if you port out to other carrier's then it will take time for the Koodo system to clear out your # before it allows you to port it back in.
    Welp, I missed that in the other thread. I was with Koodo, ported to another provider and am getting this error when trying to port my number back in "No message found for this code [0001]." So, how long do I have to wait? It's already been 6 days. Is there any way to check?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    1+1
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I will add, keep the thanks to the "add to the users reputation" and questions, well, keep them to a minimum, maybe updating the initial post.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ????
    Why not?

To the contrary, on the dummy plan (assuming you did not get the $48 in store) you have unlimited data from time of activation until first bill date (usually about a week)
    Seems a great time to use it
    I put it there cause everyone in the other thread said not to do so, and also ijcy in the original $55 thread, I have complied information going through the threads which were light years long.

If you have inserted I guess its nothing bad but we are trying to keep the process simple and straight forward, can't put alternative options to confuse future plan acquiring members / users.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Comprox View Post
    Welp, I missed that in the other thread. I was with Koodo, ported to another provider and am getting this error when trying to port my number back in "No message found for this code [0001]." So, how long do I have to wait? It's already been 6 days. Is there any way to check?

Thanks!
    There is no way to check as far as I know, but 30+ days is what I had read in older thread(s). So I suspect on the 31st or 32nd day you should be able to port it back in. I would say from my guess absolute max probably 90 days.

Since your in this boat, please reply back once you are able to port back so should we need to update original thread, I can do so with more accurate information.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonkey View Post
    A question for the FAQ:

What happens if I already put my SIM in/started using my new plan? (step 3 explicitly says not to)

My BC number's been ported away from Koodo all summer, but I'm bringing it back now. I went and got a new BC plan/number at a kiosk last week and my bill date is in a few days.

From what I gathered from the most recent news, you could just activate any BC number, (use it in the mean time), change it to an MB # in self-serve, then switch plans and port the BC number back over it after the bill cycles.

I remember this being a requirement for some of the previous ways of getting on the plan, but is it a problem with this version?
    Fixed, I'm sorry I had been compiling this and re-writing it few times before during my free time, everything was finalized for posting but yes you can go to any Koodo Store / Kiosk in Canada and follow the guide. I have fixed the steps to get the plan. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Page 1 of 507 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 501 ... LastLast