Thread: Verizon leads, AT&T second, Sprint third RootMetrics

Feedback Score

Verizon leads, AT&T second, Sprint third RootMetrics

Verizon and AT&T are no surprise, but I was interested to see Sprint in third in the latest "RootMetrics Mobile Network Performance in the US."

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Could be that Sprint's network has experienced a recent "reduction in load"? Also, note that in the 1st half of 2015 RootMetrics was not using band-12 compatible devices on T-Mobile. They began using band-12 devices in the 2nd half.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I would imagine it will take some time before there are enough band-12 compatible devices to make much of a difference in the ratings, and I wonder if RootMetrics will use those devices for the testing or not. I suppose eventually they will have to, but for the moment it might be like comparing VoLTE services--great where you can get it supposedly, but very few people have the coverage or the handsets to utilize it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    I would imagine it will take some time before there are enough band-12 compatible devices to make much of a difference in the ratings, and I wonder if RootMetrics will use those devices for the testing or not. I suppose eventually they will have to, but for the moment it might be like comparing VoLTE services--great where you can get it supposedly, but very few people have the coverage or the handsets to utilize it.
    If you read the "Methodology" FAQ it says: "For example, in the first half of 2015, one carrier was in the process of rolling out 700 MHz spectrum band in certain markets ........... our testing in the second half of 2015 will cover the release of this new 700 MHz spectrum deployment." So, they should have switched over to band-12 devices for T-Mobile testing in July. While it may not make a big difference in the results for the rest of 2015, I would expect that it would in 2016.

Feedback Score
    How many phones have band 12 capability right now?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    How many phones have band 12 capability right now?
    Several of the Samsungs, ranging from the Avant (~$150) to the S6 (>$600).
    None of the iPhones, yet. One or two Nokias. I think the latest Motos do.
    They're easy enough to find.

Feedback Score
    Sprint remained the nation’s third-best wireless carrier, ahead of its larger rival T-Mobile, according to tests by RootMetrics.

RootMetrics ranked the four nationwide carriers by five categories and by an overall performance score.

T-Mobile has been adding customers faster than the other companies and surpassed Sprint last year, becoming the third largest. It finished fourth in the new test that covered the second half of 2015.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelica Dowson View Post
    Sprint remained the nation’s third-best wireless carrier, ahead of its larger rival T-Mobile, according to tests by RootMetrics.
    This has been discussed at length on the T-Mobile forum, particularly the fact that RootMetrics turned off VoLTE, which currently carries 40% of T-Mobile's voice traffic, thereby hopelessly biasing the test against T-Mobile.