Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Voice quality - excellent article from the Atlantic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Well I sure wish that there was a service where you could just call in and read a script or something and it would come back with an objective rating of the various factors that line up with human judgment on call quality. Then we could A / B test our various services and handsets so that we could at least have a chance of maintaining a decent standard.
    So do I. Let me know if you find one.
    I use 9093909003 for echoing myself.

When I use Hangout to call the echo number, it often misses the last word of my sentence. Do you know why?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'd prefer to use my own judgement on audio quality, but you have to have both a recording medium (a voicemail system to call into) as well as a phone instrument (a known GOOD sounding piece of gear, like a VoIP or copper-wire landline, for listening) that you can trust and rely on.

Back in the day, even for various landline phones, I used to call in to a (believe it or not) cassette answering machine and listen back to the recordings, to make a judgement on a phone's audio quality. This couldn't be done with the then available digital machines, with their watery, strange sounding audio.

But it certainly could be done with a typical voicemail system. Audio on most any of these is rock solid in my experience. You just have to have one to interact with for the purpose, plus have a "real" phone to listen back to it on.

Feedback Score
    Yes that's a good common sense approach. But I was thinking you won't get any indication of latency, the kind of delays that interfere with back and forth conversations. So what is needed is a facility used for recording both sides of the conversation, tied to the known good landline / home equipment. Suggestions along those lines would be most welcome or of course any other ideas.

Feedback Score
    I have a relative who has serious hearing issues and we have been unable to find any modern phones that work as good as old phone-line powered landline phones. It's really amazing the difference--hopeless using a wide variety of modern handsets we tried over the years, yet perfectly acceptable using a couple of old slimline phones. Her ear doctor believes it and said she sees it all the time. What really amazes me is the terrible audio quality considered standard at any business today. Dropped calls, poor call quality, strange sounds on the lines, etc. Even when calling a phone company like AT&T you never know what you'll get.

Feedback Score
    Yes, VoIP took over corporate telephony in the last decade pretty completely, originally because long distance was so expensive but now the PBX equipment itself is all VoIP based and therefore completely dependent on the dozens of quality variables in the underlying tcp/ip connectivity.

And now the same is true for the switching internally within every phone company. Only a tiny exchange out in the woods would still be copper-based physically switched, and that only for local calls on that exchange, to the nearest routing hub would all be over IP nowadays.

There aren't many things we should miss about the old Bell Monopoly days, but this is definitely one of them. Incredibly high reliability rates as well
    Last edited by HansCT; 10-16-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Feedback Score
    Nevermind. Didn't notice how old this thread was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2