Thread: Hotspot problem

Feedback Score

Hotspot problem

I am new to this forum, please I can't activate my hotspot, it keep saying checking subscription status.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by olaseni View Post
    I am new to this forum, please I can't activate my hotspot, it keep saying checking subscription status.

That's not much information to go on. What phone, hotspot device, carrier? What have you tried? Is there a SIM in it and is it the correct one?

Even with all that info it will still probably be something only the carrier can resolve.

Feedback Score
    Samsung galaxy s3, Verizon version, wireless carrier, there is mtn SIM in it

Feedback Score
    Samsung galaxy s3, Verizon version, wireless carrier, there is mtn SIM in it
    I did not know that CDMA S3s had a SIM slot. My Sprint S3 doesn't. What is a mtn SIM?

Who is your carrier or service provider? Who do you pay for service?

Anyway, if you are a Verizon customer, you should be able to use the Verizon Hotspot function. Depending on the plan you may have pay extra for them to enable it.

If you are a Verizon MVNO or subsidiary customer, they are a hodge podge mess for which ones offer tethering, which ones don't, and which ones don't, but you can anyway.

Back to the question of who do you pay for service. It would probably be easiest to ask them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I did not know that CDMA S3s had a SIM slot. My Sprint S3 doesn't. What is a mtn SIM?

Who is your carrier or service provider? Who do you pay for service?

Anyway, if you are a Verizon customer, you should be able to use the Verizon Hotspot function. Depending on the plan you may have pay extra for them to enable it.

If you are a Verizon MVNO or subsidiary customer, they are a hodge podge mess for which ones offer tethering, which ones don't, and which ones don't, but you can anyway.

Back to the question of who do you pay for service. It would probably be easiest to ask them.
    There is no Verizon network in
    Nigeria, the mtn SIM is the one I use to browse and I pay for mtn service

Feedback Score
    There is no Verizon network in
    Nigeria, the mtn SIM is the one I use to browse and I pay for mtn service
    I would ask MTN. My guess is that they will be unable to enable the native phone hotspot. You could try third party hotspot apps - search the play store for tether apps. Some (most) require root access on the phone. I wold try Foxfi first. It doesn't require root, but the free version is not full featured. I have not been able to find any that work on my Sprint S3.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 09-16-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III doesn't claim GSM or HSPA capabilities. It only supports CDMA on 850MHz, 1900MHz and LTE on Band 13.

It's highly unlikely that MTN in whichever country you reside in supports CDMA or Band 13 LTE. It's probably GSM on 900MHz and 1800MHz. Your going to need a different phone.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...SCH-I535MBBVZW

Ask MTN which network technologies they support in your area and on what frequency bands. It's probably GSM and HSPA on 900MHz or 1800MHz. They might have some LTE on European band clases. If that's the case, then try to source a phone from the European Market. Sourcing a USA based phone will probably end it tears.

This website has a good list of the worldwide LTE and HSPA band plans: http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php http://niviuk.free.fr/umts_band.php

African, middle eastern, and european countries tend to align with European band plans, but that doesn't appear to be universal. Ask MTN for what they support, then buy a phone accordingly.