Thread: Help me swich! 6GB/$30, total bill $55. Is "share everything" 6GB for $55 possible?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada)
    Feedback Score

Help me swich! 6GB/$30, total bill $55. Is "share everything" 6GB for $55 possible?

Hi there! I, like many posters here, have the old 6GB data plan from back when the iPhone was first released. I've been grandfathered along the way, and currently have it bundled with a voice package that puts me at around $55 monthly for my cell phone bill. My term ends in October.

I'm looking to renew, and get a hardware upgrade, but agents have told me I need to switch to a new "Share Everything" plan in order to do so. I'm ok with that, but the prices are steep! One slightly helpful thing is that I'm with a corporate plan that gets me 30% off the share everything bundles, so currently I'm being offered the following:

3GB = $60
    5GB = $77

Still not close to the $55 I'm paying for 6GB. For me, data is king. I don't care about the other features bundled into the new plans.

Have any of you managed to successfully get your old 6GB plan more or less matched?

Please help! Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    Iphone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You may be Better off buying the new phone out right from Apple it will be unlocked, Rogers new president has really made changes in the retention dept, he would rather see you go then give bigger discounts. Problem is all the big three are now following in line with prices and no real retention offers. They know you really have no where to go to save money so they play hard ball and we all have to fall in line.

It look like you have a good plan now it may cost you more upfront but you will save over the long term, eventualy they will tweak the network so the new data plans are faster and more reliable then our old plans but in the mean time save your money and keep your current plan.

via the HoFo App
    Rogers Loyalty Package W/4GB Data

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    I thought I should post an update here, letting you all know about my progress to date.

I've been going back and forth with Rogers for about a month now. I currently have 6GB data, 350 daytime minutes, free eve/weekend, 1000 min Canadian long distance, unlimited texts, voicemail, etc, for $55 a month.

Now, the best offer I've been able to get out of them is a 7GB "Share Everything+" plan with more daytime minutes (could care less about minutes), North American calling (but not roaming, only while in Canada, so useless for me), for $73 (I get a 30% discount on a corporate plan - apparently this plan usually costs substantially more). The thing I care by far the most about on my wireless plan is data, and I'm not willing to compromise on 6GB. The only options they apparently have are 5GB or 7GB (or more).

After tax, it shakes out to an extra $20 a month. Not impressed. Sure, it includes NHL Gamecenter, and either Shomi or Spotify, but still. I don't desperately want either of those things. And $5 "Roam Like Home" is still a rip-off compared to travelling with a wifi router, or unlocking & using another SIM.

Sure, things have changed, and the term is 2 years instead of 3, but if I'm saving ~$300 on a hardware upgrade every 2 years instead of ~$300 every 3 years, that doesn't justify me having to pay an extra $20*24months=$480 over the term of my contract. I'm way better off just buying my own device. It's nonsense.

I had heard rumours that people were successfully completing renewals with hardware upgrades at Costco without changing their plans, but that didn't work for me. Apparently there were notes on my file saying that I needed to change my rate plan, and that I had to contact Rogers directly. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertHodgson View Post
    You may be Better off buying the new phone out right from Apple it will be unlocked, Rogers new president has really made changes in the retention dept, he would rather see you go then give bigger discounts. Problem is all the big three are now following in line with prices and no real retention offers. They know you really have no where to go to save money so they play hard ball and we all have to fall in line.

It look like you have a good plan now it may cost you more upfront but you will save over the long term, eventualy they will tweak the network so the new data plans are faster and more reliable then our old plans but in the mean time save your money and keep your current plan.

via the HoFo App
    The math is starting to suggest so, for sure. Depends on how much an extra 1 GB of data and some of the extra perks are worth to me, I guess.
    Last edited by kurt16; 10-10-2015 at 04:14 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    I just double checked the numbers, and it appears as though I save about $500 on phones (iPhone 6, etc) if I get a hardware upgrade, instead of going to an Apple Store and paying full price (though I'd have a factory unlocked device if I did that). For some reason I was under the impression it was only about $300.

Old world*: $500 savings every 3 years = $167 a year
    New world: $500 savings every 2 years = $250 a year

Net savings on hardware costs = $83 per year

Cost of the new plan = additional $20 per month = $240/year

Net annual loss for hardware + contract = $157

If I can get them to commit to a monthly credit of $10 over the term of my contract, I'm in. Otherwise, the numbers just don't add up.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt16 View Post
    I just double checked the numbers, and it appears as though I save about $500 on phones (iPhone 6, etc) if I get a hardware upgrade, instead of going to an Apple Store and paying full price (though I'd have a factory unlocked device if I did that). For some reason I was under the impression it was only about $300.

Old world*: $500 savings every 3 years = $167 a year
    New world: $500 savings every 2 years = $250 a year

Net savings on hardware costs = $83 per year

Cost of the new plan = additional $20 per month = $240/year

Net annual loss for hardware + contract = $157

If I can get them to commit to a monthly credit of $10 over the term of my contract, I'm in. Otherwise, the numbers just don't add up.
    I highly doubt they will offer you a credit and give you an upgrade. You should actually just buy the phone outright, take the new 7GB plan but get the BYOD discount of $20/month in addition to your corporate discount. You get all the new features and an extra GB for $53/month.

My New Rogers Plan
    - $35 Unlimited Local Calling Plan
    - $30 6GB Data
    - $10 Retention Value Pack - Free (2500 texts, CID, VM)
    - 100 mins LD - Free
    - $67 + tax

Bite me Telus.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joop88 View Post
    I highly doubt they will offer you a credit and give you an upgrade. You should actually just buy the phone outright, take the new 7GB plan but get the BYOD discount of $20/month in addition to your corporate discount. You get all the new features and an extra GB for $53/month.
    They didn't mention a BYOD discount of $20/month... that isn't a bad idea, except if you extrapolate that over the 2-year term, that's only $480. Wouldn't it be better to get $500 up-front savings on a new device?

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Bell TBay plan is the best deal if you need loads of Data. 12GB and unlimited voice for $75 BYOD.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Chatrlicity:
    $30 Unlimited NAM , $30 Unlimited Province Wide

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Bell TBay plan is the best deal if you need loads of Data. 12GB and unlimited voice for $75 BYOD.
    The way the math works out, saving ~$500 on a device on a contract worked out to $14 a month ($500/36 months) over my old 3-year term. For me to be close to where I have been for the last few years, a BYOD plan would have to cost about $41 (my plan is $55, minus the $14 monthly HW savings), and have at least 6GB of data.

Paying $75 BYOD is an absolute non-starter for me.

It seems much more likely to get a decent 2-year contract, still saving the $500 but over 2 years ($500/24 = $21 a month, net monthly savings of $7 a month over old 3-year terms).

For me to be in the same boat I was last year, with 2-year hardware upgrades, I would need a 6GB plan that costs $62. I'm currently sitting at an offer of $73.60, but it's a 7GB plan and includes unlimited NA calling, as well as all the "share everything plus" perks.

I think I'm going to call again and see if I can get the cheaper 5GB plan, but if they can somehow add 1GB of data to it to bring me back up to 6GB at no additional charge. If they're able to do that, I might actually end up marginally ahead of the game.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Try calling retentions after 8pm your time. I found that helped me in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fuelled by rice

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    I finally caved and switched to a new "share everything plus" plan, after much pain & suffering while trying to haggle a deal I felt was fair. I'm in BC.

Old plan:
    - 6GB data
    - 350 daytime minutes (corporate voice plan)
    - 1000 CDN long distance minutes
    - unlimited texts (photo, video, etc)
    - voicemail, call display, etc
    - subsidized phone
    $55 per month plus tax

New "share everything plus premium tab" plan:
    - 7GB data
    - unlimited North American calling
    - subsidized phone (just ordered an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB for $499 ~ about a $570 subsidy)
    - all "share everything plus" features (roam like home, shomi, NHL game center, etc)
    $73.50 per month plus tax (apparently regularly $105, minus my 30% corporate discount)

My next goal - try to switch to a Saskatchewan plan (I have a Saskatchewan address) of 10GB share everything plus premium tab for $52.50 ($75 minus my 30% corporate discount), while keeping my BC number.

How did I do? Is there anything out there I should know about that would improve my situation?

Feedback Score

Lightbulb How??

I finally caved and switched to a new "share everything plus" plan, after much pain & suffering while trying to haggle a deal I felt was fair. I'm in BC.

Old plan:
    - 6GB data
    - subsidized phone
    $55 per month plus tax

- 7GB data
    - subsidized phone (just ordered an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB for $499 ~ about a $570 subsidy)
    - all "share everything plus" features (roam like home, shomi, NHL game center, etc)
    $73.50 per month plus tax (apparently regularly $105, minus my 30% corporate discount)

My next goal - try to switch to a Saskatchewan plan (I have a Saskatchewan address) of 10GB share everything plus premium tab for $52.50 ($75 minus my 30% corporate discount), while keeping my BC number.

How did I do? Is there anything out there I should know about that would improve my situation?
    How do you get a Saskatchewan plan and keep your BC number?? I would love to attempt something like that also!

Device(s)
    S6 edge+, Oneplus One
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Old plan:
    - 6GB data
    - subsidized phone
    $55 per month plus tax

- 7GB data

Hey Kurt,

I'd love to jump a plan like this. Can you elaborate on a corporate discount you have? And who did you speak to, which department did you speak to, to make it happen?

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+
    Oneplus One

Two lines: Koodo MB $48
    $48 (pre-tax) | Unlimited CANADA-WIDE calling | All Calling Features (CID/VM/CW/CF/3way) | Unlimited TXT/MMS | 5GB of Data

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610
    Feedback Score

Old plan:
    - 6GB data
    - subsidized phone
    $55 per month plus tax

- 7GB data

I think you did good. Maybe if you want to include an internet package, you can try doing it at the same time as trying to switch to a Saskatchewan plan. I'm on an old plan and just buying new phones outright.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Rogers recently changed my plan since they discontinued my current plan.

I am just wondering if I switched to Shared Everything Plan, do I still get 20 dollars discount for BYOD? I know this conversation happened early 2016. Just making sure I can still get 20 dollars off if I have my own phone.

They didn't mention a BYOD discount of $20/month... that isn't a bad idea, except if you extrapolate that over the 2-year term, that's only $480. Wouldn't it be better to get $500 up-front savings on a new device?
    KeiFeR123
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=97077

==
    "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life" --Confucious