Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Clear: The Final Countdown...

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Clear: The Final Countdown...

Well, everyone, this is it, our final month of service with the company that brought affordable wireless broadband internet to the masses in at least 80 markets nationwide.

I'm creating this thread to be a tribute to the awesomeness that was Clear, a place where you can share your memories and thoughts about our WiMAX provider that will soon be joining Nextel and a number of other companies in the Cellular Service Provider Graveyard.

This month marks 5 years as a Clear subscriber for me. I started out with just a single Sierra Wireless 4G+ USB Modem, and over time, my account grew to 3 lines, with 2 other people using modems on my account. While I've already secured my replacement (a Verizon Wireless LTE Mobile Hotspot w/ grandfathered-in Unlimited Data Plan,) the other 2 on my account are still trying to figure out what they're going to use in place of Clear.

With the death of Clear, we're almost certain to see the death of the WiMAX technology that was originally intended to make it very affordable to bring broadband internet to people in areas so rural that even the cable companies won't run lines to their homes. Sadly, Clearwire and Sprint, in their "infinite wisdom" never deployed it that way, instead preferring to deploy it in more urban areas, where people had more choices for Internet Service Providers. Therefore, it was easier for them to pass-up what Clear offered, because they never fully realized its value.

Goodbye, Clear. And if anyone reading this is or was an employee of Clearwire, THANK YOU for 5 great years. You will absolutely be missed.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T(work)
    Feedback Score
    I loved the idea of Clear. I had WiMAX built into my work laptop and used it while in the Richmond,VA metro area. I always had consistent speeds. We have since switched to iPads with Verizon but still miss Clear to this day. If I was able to get it at home I would have used to finally get rid of CenturyLink DSL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Well, everyone, this is it, our final month of service with the company that brought affordable wireless broadband internet to the masses in at least 80 markets nationwide.

I'm creating this thread to be a tribute to the awesomeness that was Clear, a place where you can share your memories and thoughts about our WiMAX provider that will soon be joining Nextel and a number of other companies in the Cellular Service Provider Graveyard.

This month marks 5 years as a Clear subscriber for me. I started out with just a single Sierra Wireless 4G+ USB Modem, and over time, my account grew to 3 lines, with 2 other people using modems on my account. While I've already secured my replacement (a Verizon Wireless LTE Mobile Hotspot w/ grandfathered-in Unlimited Data Plan,)
    You can expect $20 increase on that VZW UDP

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    You can expect $20 increase on that VZW UDP
    No S#!+, Sherlock! Unless, that is, I decide to do a phone upgrade using the Best Buy Method and lock-in my current plan pricing on a 2-year contract, as the line IS eligible for an upgrade!

Feedback Score
    No S#!+, Sherlock! Unless, that is, I decide to do a phone upgrade using the Best Buy Method and lock-in my current plan pricing on a 2-year contract, as the line IS eligible for an upgrade!
    Best buy has stopped the loophole

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Best buy has stopped the loophole
    Where's your source for this info?

Feedback Score
    They are forcing you to go to best buy stores, where they will tack on the $20 surcharge

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They are forcing you to go to best buy stores, where they will tack on the $20 surcharge
    Again, please post a link to your source for this info. There are a number of us in the Verizon Forum that are attempting to verify if the Best Buy Method still works. Until you can back-up your statement with a source, it must be considered just a rumor.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Alright, back on topic: Another Clear memory... working in a store where T-Mobile had p!$$ poor service, in a neighborhood where T-Mobile can never improve the service level due to too many "Not In My Back Yard" imbeciles fighting them tooth & nail to keep them from putting up new towers, so I used my Clear Hub to connect my UMA-equipped BlackBerry to WiFi to improve my service!

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to miss Clear. It was the perfect UNLIMITED, NO CONTRACT, MOBILE, reasonably priced internet solution.

Now... what's left? There truly is NOT a decent alternative being offered.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I've heard great things about Clear. Keep and eye open for FleetFi, launching Q1 2016. Huge data, lower rates plus controls. Probably best suited for business accounts with multiple data devices.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyKellyKelly View Post
    Yes, I've heard great things about Clear. Keep and eye open for FleetFi, launching Q1 2016. Huge data, lower rates plus controls. Probably best suited for business accounts with multiple data devices.
    Source link for this info?

Feedback Score
    Source: I'll return and post website or info as soon as possible.

Feedback Score
    Bye, Clear!

It's been a good run of using Freedompop's Hub router as my main ISP for a really cheap price. You'll be missed.

Feedback Score

This month marks 5 years as a Clear subscriber for me. I started out with just a single Sierra Wireless 4G+ USB Modem, and over time, my account grew to 3 lines, with 2 other people using modems on my account. While I've already secured my replacement (a Verizon Wireless LTE Mobile Hotspot w/ grandfathered-in Unlimited Data Plan,) the other 2 on my account are still trying to figure out what they're going to use in place of Clear.

With the death of Clear, we're almost certain to see the death of the WiMAX technology that was originally intended to make it very affordable to bring broadband internet to people in areas so rural that even the cable companies won't run lines to their homes. Sadly, Clearwire and Sprint, in their "infinite wisdom" never deployed it that way, instead preferring to deploy it in more urban areas, where people had more choices for Internet Service Providers. Therefore, it was easier for them to pass-up what Clear offered, because they never fully realized its value.

Goodbye, Clear. And if anyone reading this is or was an employee of Clearwire, THANK YOU for 5 great years. You will absolutely be missed.
    A special heart felt thanks to the people that started CLEARwire and the idea of the WiMax network. While CLEAR exploded and burned out of fire faster than all hell in 2010, it was great to really get my feet running, it all started with a youtube video of me opening a Series G modem and adding an external antenna port, to now becoming a TMO Business reseller, CLEAR gave me and my team the opportunity to learn the wireless industry well so we can provide great service and continue the CLEAR idea in the future. WiMax in our hearts forever. At one time I had 80 lines of service with them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast