Thread: red pocket - ebay plan issues

Feedback Score

red pocket - ebay plan issues

Saw "3g" on my phone this AM, instead of LTE. Get to office, shows 1x, so I try a test call. "You are roaming."

Chatting with them now. 33 days into this 'ebay' plan.
    Last login showed just under 1000 min. available, and that I'd used ~5MB of "reduced speed" data (which isn't possible, the portal *meant "high speed"), didn't show any "high speed" available (and hasn't yet). In other words, it "refilled" successfully for the 2nd month, seemed to work for a couple days into it.
    No issues for ~33 days, then, poof. acct. appears "closed," phone inoperable.

Wish I could post screenshots. I have several fun ones.

Anyone else have any issues with them?

Feedback Score
    Chat dropped off the line. Got a text saying "refill successful" but online still shows "closed" status of acct.
    Tried another test call, and it shipped me into their phone support queue. After about 20 min. w/them, they said they'd call me back.

Still no service.

Feedback Score
    Routine arrows in the back with a new service, my condolences. Hope they get you sorted soon and do please keep us apprised of the details. Especially if you find certain communications media more effective than others, for example email or chat maybe better than the voice CSR's

Feedback Score
    Yeah, suppose it's still relatively new.

Got an email via the eBay store. Says they'll have it wrapped up by tonight. Something about the carrier. Gave me a temp # in the meantime, but it's not actually active, so I don't know what's going on there. Glad to have ported to Google voice. Will see what happens later tonight.

Feedback Score
    More back & forth today.
    They're looking into it still. Not very reassuring.

Feedback Score
    They got it going. Shows "pre active" online, no usage stats yet. Not sure what kind of wacky things were going on in background, but I just hope it keeps working.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Are all of these MVNO's, resellers, etc, flakes?

Feedback Score
    Depends. I fully expected some odd issues with this particular plan and provider going into it, just not so soon.

Who knows what the deal was, but they were very apologetic and got fixed within about a day. That's better than some, I'd say. Honestly, I think the initial setup must have had an issue which only surfaced later. They're also still very new to "CDMA" service with LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Are all of these MVNO's, resellers, etc, flakes?
    The newer ones, the smaller they are, yes very likely. Longer well-established and larger ones, while they each have their quirks but once you get to know what they are they tend to be consistent anyway

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kansanian View Post
    They're also still very new to "CDMA" service with LTE.
    and the fact that this side of their business which is brand new, is done in partnership whatever that might mean with a totally different service provider that hasn't been in the business before, just adds a couple of major wildcards to the situation. Personally I think it's pretty much the same as if it were a small shop startup, just a loose relationship perhaps with the more experience part of red pocket itself.

Feedback Score
    Online acct. now showing everything as it should be, including accurate usage stats!
    Back to 100% operational.

Barring any other weirdness, I *might* even stick with them after the 1st yr. of service.
    Looking like they are "on track" with the "red" "CDMA" network, which is great.

Really hope they consider selling some more "U.S." oriented plans by then. I think the addition of "calling to China and Hong Kong" has to add some costs for their plans. Maybe if they had plans without that, they could cater more to "basic" American customers, such as myself. After all, the eBay plan(s) don't include this, and they seem to be well priced for what they are.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 (unlocked, rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red (post paid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kansanian View Post
    Online acct. now showing everything as it should be, including accurate usage stats!
    Back to 100% operational.
    Interesting - you are on CDMAV (Verizon) and the web dashboard shows you usage stats? Guessing they have this figured out for 4G devices if this is the case because there is still NADA if you are on one of the 3G plans. At least, I've got nothing on my end using the $19.99 plan.

Feedback Score
    It seems these different plans actually run through completely different infrastructures, probably completely different business units within the mothership. Same on tmobile resellers, which devices hotspotting rules etc completely vary from one type of plan to another

Feedback Score
    SmilingBob - yes, 4G CDMAV plan here.

Hans - Very true. The whole thing is still a little "cobbled together" from a user perspective.
    When I said "accurate" stats, it seems to be better, but my little data monitoring app is off by ~2MB this morning, which is no big deal. Adjusted my app, as my renewal date also changed due to the snafu, so there was probably some offset and weirdness going on during those times. Will give it time and see if I can keep things "in sync" there, so that I know at a glance that my app is tracking semi-accurately with what they report.

It never showed anything close to accurate before (said I only had some available "reduced speed" data, when I was still getting some "high speed" data last month, as I never hit 500MB), so it's a nice improvement. Voice and text tracking seems to be accurate.

Feedback Score
    Usage monitoring on the phone itself never exactly matches the carrier's records. Easy to guess which way the discrepancy usually goes, and some of it is usually explained by rounding up of data units