Thread: Stable wifi device for remote cabin?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Stable wifi device for remote cabin?

I'm looking to eventually bring Internet access to a remote cabin, to control a wifi thermostat and possibly a remote camera.

What device(s) would be the most stable for this use? This property is ~4 hours away so it would be a pain if it was prone to lockups. Are the recent Verizon Jetpack devices somewhat solid for long-term use or would I be better off going with the USB modem + Cradlepoint router of some sort?

-Dave

Feedback Score
    Old thread that got no response but I'm in the same situation. Looking for a couple 24/7 hotspots that don't need regular restarting. Using them for security cameras. They are just low res video clips 1-2 MB on motion, normally no triggers, so almost zero usage. I've tried two Jetpacks and they both worked great for a few weeks, then began shutting down randomly after 24-72 hours. Verizon says they aren't meant for continuous use. A Jetpack type solution would be great, since they're 10 bucks to add to my plan, and between the onboard battery and plugged into the usb charger port on a small ups keeps them powered up for extended time in a power failure.

Anyone have a suggestion for hopefully an easy and stable solution?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by InLike View Post
    Old thread that got no response but I'm in the same situation. Looking for a couple 24/7 hotspots that don't need regular restarting. Using them for security cameras. They are just low res video clips 1-2 MB on motion, normally no triggers, so almost zero usage. I've tried two Jetpacks and they both worked great for a few weeks, then began shutting down randomly after 24-72 hours. Verizon says they aren't meant for continuous use. A Jetpack type solution would be great, since they're 10 bucks to add to my plan, and between the onboard battery and plugged into the usb charger port on a small ups keeps them powered up for extended time in a power failure.

Anyone have a suggestion for hopefully an easy and stable solution?
    Mofi 4500 sim 4. Pricey, but seldom needs rebooted.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using HoFo mobile app