Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is download speed for Data in Chatr ?

Feedback Score

What is download speed for Data in Chatr ?

I wanna know download speed for Chatr. I searched online and found nothing. Called customer rep and he said they have no documentation for speed. But he added that our customers never complained about data speed.

Feedback Score
    The actual effective speed of your data connection on any carrier will vary based on your location, time of day degree of congestion from other users, dozens of factors come into play.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    The actual effective speed of your data connection on any carrier will vary based on your location, time of day degree of congestion from other users, dozens of factors come into play.
    As well as whether your network supports LTE, or the carrier sub-brand is allowed to use LTE on the parent network. Don't know if ChatR supports LTE, Mobilicity, when it becomes Rogerlicity after the conversion is reportedly not going to be able to use LTE in their home zones or on roaming. Time will tell if this is the case, but it is what has been reported in the Mobilicity forum.

The carrier could choose to throttle speed as well. Wind throttles speed after the data plan amount is reached, but doesn't cut it off completely. Other carriers have also done throttling as well.

No idea on the ChatR speeds. I've never used ChatR. It was created to compete with the 2008 new entrants, to prevent them from taking too many customers away from Rogers, at least with Wind, Mobilicity and Public Mobile. I've been reading early messages in the Wind forum, and ChatR didn't really have a lot of talking points about why they existed, other than to be a place a Rogers sales rep could point to to keep someone on Rogers instead of sending them elsewhere. They've obviously changed over time, so whatever floats ones boat.
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Feedback Score
    It is strange that nobody knows download speed for Chatr

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tapan2401 View Post
    It is strange that nobody knows download speed for Chatr
    Run a speed test. This one only uses 600 KB if you click the 3G button:
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/simple

You can load the page with wifi first then switch to mobile data. That will only use 300 KB.

Feedback Score
    I don't have Chatr. Otherwise I would have posted speed test results.

Last year I quit Chatr because they had no data add-ons available.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tapan2401 View Post
    I don't have Chatr. Otherwise I would have posted speed test results.

Last year I quit Chatr because they had no data add-ons available.

Chatr uses Rogers' 3G network. I often find I'm in the 8-12 Mbps range with Rogers HSPA.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Feedback Score
    Wow. That is too good. Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Chatr uses Rogers' 3G network. I often find I'm in the 8-12 Mbps range with Rogers HSPA.
    Is that on the Fido network or are you actually on ChatR too? Your speed may be for Fido and Rogers brands but not necessarily for ChatR or Mobilicity/Rogerlicity after the changeover. It is possible that the lower brands could be throttled where the higher brands are not.

I have never used ChatR so I have no idea if speeds are throttled or not. It would be nice if someone with a ChatR phone/SIM was able to post actual ChatR speed tests. I can't take it as gospel that all speeds are the same until confirmed by actual tests.

Feedback Score
    i did a speedtest in ottawa centretown this afternoon using fido 3g. 14.51 dl 1.69 ul with a 38 ms ping. pretty reasonable. if wind had been able to achieve half that speed, and offered the same reliability, i never would have left them. US networks prioritize the parent networks over MVNO's, but no where have any canadian carriers admitted to such a practice (ie. rogers = fastest -> fido = moderately fast -> chatrlicity = slow as molasses). The speed tests i have seen wouldn't suggest they do this, also the amounts of spectrum are nearly the same for 1/10th of the customers, so it wouldn't really be necessary to prevent congestion. They do have a much more competitive market in the USA with everything from top tier (VZW + AT&T) to nationwide mid-range challengers like sprint and Tmo, right on down to 'freemium' offerings like tracfone and freedompop. I'm sure you get what you pay for down there, just like i did with wind. except with wind if i had paid half of what i was, it would have been equivalent to the service i received from them. they only worked half the time, so therefore, they should only take half of my bill. somehow they found that proposal amusing....

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WINDsubOTTAWA View Post
    i did a speedtest in ottawa centretown this afternoon using fido 3g. 14.51 dl 1.69 ul with a 38 ms ping. pretty reasonable. if wind had been able to achieve half that speed, and offered the same reliability, i never would have left them. US networks prioritize the parent networks over MVNO's, but no where have any canadian carriers admitted to such a practice (ie. rogers = fastest -> fido = moderately fast -> chatrlicity = slow as molasses). The speed tests i have seen wouldn't suggest they do this, also the amounts of spectrum are nearly the same for 1/10th of the customers, so it wouldn't really be necessary to prevent congestion. They do have a much more competitive market in the USA with everything from top tier (VZW + AT&T) to nationwide mid-range challengers like sprint and Tmo, right on down to 'freemium' offerings like tracfone and freedompop. I'm sure you get what you pay for down there, just like i did with wind. except with wind if i had paid half of what i was, it would have been equivalent to the service i received from them. they only worked half the time, so therefore, they should only take half of my bill. somehow they found that proposal amusing....
    It seems like Mobilicity, since being merged onto the Rogers network, isn't getting the speeds that Fido and Rogers customers get on 3G. People are talking about 2-5 Mbps so far in the Mobi forums. So maybe Rogers is experimenting with throttling, because Rogers has lots of PCS spectrum so there's no good reason for speeds to be that slow if not for throttling.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    It's not throttled, it's a 'speed tier'.

Feeling that Rogers value, folks?
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    It's not throttled, it's a 'speed tier'.

Feeling that Rogers value, folks?

Honestly? If I could get Mobi here in Victoria, I know plenty of people who would consider it. Cricket's 8Mbps works well, by way of comparison.

If they were getting 21Mbps (or whatever) on 3G, then Mobi users would have more to fear with regards to keeping their unlimited plans. This suggests to me that they probably will keep them.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone on here done a speedtest with a Chatr SIM for data?

Seeing as we from the Mobilicity family will be joining you soon, I wondered what real world results are like. Chatr site says 3mbps.

Also, do you connect to LTE (throttled) or HSPA (throttled)?

Thanks
    Looking forward to Wind LTE!

I can't wait for this to be the norm on wireless!

Feedback Score
    Capped at 3Mbps. Quite usable!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast