Thread: Anyone using an OBiTalk box?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Anyone using an OBiTalk box?

I have an Obi110 which I recently update to be able to support my GoogleVoice line. I have a PBXes SIP extension active on the 2nd VoIP port and also have the ObiON application on my Android phone. So far, so good. The issue is that I find the advanced configuration and operation of that little box to be bewilderingly complex. I know there's a lot of interesting things I could be doing with it but the setup and usage manuals baffle me. What I'd like to know is if anyone knows of any tutorials on the subject that bring the ObiTalk down to an ordinary techie level for usage somewhere between introductory and guru.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Dslreports.com will get you a greater quantity and quality of answers to the question.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I assume you're aware of the Obihai support forums? You should be able to ask just about any question and get answers there.

Here are a couple tutorials I found helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/ov6ppse

http://tinyurl.com/polu7zs

Feedback Score
    I've been using an Obi100 box with Google Voice for almost 3 years now. It's mostly just set it up and then left alone. I did have to reset the Obi100 recently and add my GV account back into it from scratch but I found a tutorial online somewhere that helped me with that. Any question I have about the Obi/GV I look in the Obihai forums or do a web search.

Feedback Score
    Did you have to pay an upgrade fee for new firmware when they change the authentication model?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Did you have to pay an upgrade fee for new firmware when they change the authentication model?
    I was able to get by the $10 firmware upgrade paywall when I was fiddling around with my Obi box a few months ago. I forget just how I did it though. I was looking at various forum posts and tutorials that other people had provided. I did download the update for the firmware via a link that someone provided. I updated my Obi manually but for some reason I decided that the update wasn't going the work for me so I started over and reset the Obi box again (pinhole in box to reset) and have been using it just fine without the update in it's original configuration.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eohippus View Post
    I was able to get by the $10 firmware upgrade paywall when I was fiddling around with my Obi box a few months ago. I forget just how I did it though. I was looking at various forum posts and tutorials that other people had provided. I did download the update for the firmware via a link that someone provided. I updated my Obi manually but for some reason I decided that the update wasn't going the work for me so I started over and reset the Obi box again (pinhole in box to reset) and have been using it just fine without the update in it's original configuration.
    Doing a factory reset does not affect your firmware version level. The reason you got past the "firmware upgrade paywall" is because you manually downloaded and installed the newest firmware. It had nothing to do with doing a factory reset on your OBi device.

Feedback Score
    But I believe devices shift past a certain date have the compatible firmware already built in?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    But I believe devices shift past a certain date have the compatible firmware already built in?
    Very true. But since he mentioned it was a 1xx series and he's had it for 3 years he would definitely had to have updated the firmware manually to get past the "paywall."

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Wow, I've never heard of the need to update firmware in a Obi device that you'd have to pay for. The last I remember messing with the box at all was when they got back on board with Google Voice after spring 2014, and you had to go through some process to change to the new type of GV account authorization (which may have required a firmware update at the time).

Feedback Score
    Yes that's what we're talking about. People whose box was of a certain age had to pay $10 and boy did they raise a stink

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Yes that's what we're talking about. People whose box was of a certain age had to pay $10 and boy did they raise a stink
    Begin rant:

And rightfully so. There was absolutely NO notification of this money grubbing change in policy. It just suddenly appeared on the Obitalk web portal when someone whose OBi was out of warranty wanted to make a configuration change. Something as simple as making a password change on their Google Voice configuration was blocked if they didn't "pay up!" Of course, most people didn't realize they could just go to the Obihai forums, find the correct url, and download and install the firmware update manually. So many (most?) people just paid up.
    And as many people have pointed out the correct term for this new fee is "ransomware." Pay the ransom or you can't configure your own OBi device anymore. Of course, none of this was mentioned when you purchased your OBi in the first place.

How many vendors do you know that charge money for a simple firmware update and then block access to your own purchased hardware device if you don't pay up? Obihai makes great products but their so called "support" and business practices suck.

End rant.

Feedback Score
    I disagree but prefer not to get into it here, as that horse has been beaten to death long ago

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've never once had a problem with any of my Obihai devices, and I use a PhonePower $40/year plan for 300 outgoing minutes and unlimited incoming as well as E-911 support, and then the second line I have as my Google Voice line so if I ever go over on my outgoing minutes (which has only happened twice since I've had the box) I can switch over to using GV instead while the caller ID still looks like it's coming from my landline. I forget what they actually charge for just E-911 support with GV (it's either 15 or 25 I think) but for that price I can just pay 15 bucks more and get access to visual voicemail as well as voicemail e-mailed directly to my account which makes things immensely handy. Before I bought an Obihai I used ITP as my VoIP company and paid $9.99 a month plus taxes because just local only phone calls on a traditional line were approaching $40 so we ditched AT&T once and for all. Eventually we started having a few issues with our box, not ITP, and started to see if there was anything out there that was just as good but cheaper. That's when I discovered the Obihai and that you could literally pay around $60 a year and get business-class VoIP for the entire year unlimited. I went from paying $500/year for my landline down to $40/year.