Thread: AU KDDI SHARP SHF31 AQUOS K or DOCOMO SHARP SH-06G AQUOS

Feedback Score

AU KDDI SHARP SHF31 AQUOS K or DOCOMO SHARP SH-06G AQUOS

Hello there,

I am fairly new to japanese cell phones but after gathering information on how things will or won't work in Europe, I decided that it would be best to get either the AU KDDI Sharp SHF31 Aquos K or the DOCOMO Sharp SH-06G Aquos.
    The main factor why I want a japanese phone isn't just style (of course that too), but also the fact that I will be in Japan in the future a lot, so it will just be more hassle free to just get a SIM there instead of a new phone too.

So, basically, since I don't have that much insight on the whole subject yet, I wanted to ask if any of you guys on here can answer some questions about the two phones.

1.) I read somewhere that only one of them has WIFI, but can't gather more information about that, because there seems to be none. So, will I be able to use WIFI on both of them?

2.) Is it true that I can surf the internet on the go, just as with my regular european smartphone (I am aware that those aren't technically smartphones!) on both?

3.) Do they have a music player, or more specifically a headphone socket?

4.) Will I be able to use basic Android Apps? Of course I am aware that nothing that requires a touch screen will work.

5.) I am really a tech noob, so can you tell me how bad or good the cameras of the two phones are? (I read somewhere that the AU has a better camera, but that still doesn't tell me if the Docomo is really bad, just because the other is better)

6.) Does GPS and Google Maps work on both?

7.) How is the battery life?

and at last, a kinda stupid question: can I attach a cell phone charm? I know this is a really stupid question, but it would be a nice extra :-)

All in all I just want a normal phone with some extras. I do not surf the internet much, do not use too many apps and mainly just want to text and call and find my way around town via GPS.

So, thanks in advance for any information, and sorry if some of these questions (or even all) were already answered elsewhere or are considered stupid by some

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    AU by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    I live in Japan, but haven't used either phone so I cannot answer all your questions due to both of those facts. I will do my best below.

PS: I recently became interested in the Aquos K, too, so I might be "upgrading" to it soon. Keep in mind I am using the AU carrier in Japan, so your experience might be different in Europe if you get this phone.

EDIT: I'm probably wrong about many things below, as can be seen in this thread about the SH-06G, and JPhoner's reply that it's a fully usable Smarpthone once unlocked... http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...p-Aquos-SH-06G

Quote Originally Posted by ya_ya View Post

I am fairly new to japanese cell phones but after gathering information on how things will or won't work in Europe, I decided that it would be best to get either the AU KDDI Sharp SHF31 Aquos K or the DOCOMO Sharp SH-06G Aquos.
    My basic impression of both phones:

SHF31: a hybrid, somewhere between a dumbphone and a smartphone. It has apps (side-loadable, but no Google Services), tethering, WiFi, 13MP camera, a trackpad, yet still behaves like a feature flipphone.

SH-06G: a flip phone/dumbphone. It just happens to run Android as a base OS, and that was probably Sharp and Docomo leaving behind their old Symbian-based code.

1.) I read somewhere that only one of them has WIFI, but can't gather more information about that, because there seems to be none. So, will I be able to use WIFI on both of them?
    No mention of Wifi on their site for the SH-06G. The AU SHF31 definitely has Wifi and tethering and LTE capabilities. Can those be used abroad, once unlocked? No idea.

2.) Is it true that I can surf the internet on the go, just as with my regular european smartphone (I am aware that those aren't technically smartphones!) on both?
    If you can unlock them and modify the APNs, then the answer is yes. if

3.) Do they have a music player, or more specifically a headphone socket?

No idea.
    4.) Will I be able to use basic Android Apps? Of course I am aware that nothing that requires a touch screen will work.
    [/quote]

SHF31 can side-load apps, which I saw on multiple sites in Japanese. How well do they work without Play Services, I don't know, but to me it's one of the attractions of the SHF31. Side-load F-droid and get going with a couple of opensourced apps, without the battery drain of Google's services

5.) I am really a tech noob, so can you tell me how bad or good the cameras of the two phones are? (I read somewhere that the AU has a better camera, but that still doesn't tell me if the Docomo is really bad, just because the other is better)
    Probably average to slightly more than average. Don't expect Sony, iPhone or Samsung flagship level cameras. SHF31 has 13MP, SH-06G has 5MP...

6.) Does GPS and Google Maps work on both?
    Both have GPS, AFAIK they do not have Google Maps.

7.) How is the battery life?
    that's the big question that not many people seem to have answered.

I've seen a camera shot of someone going for 6 days with the SHF31. But he may have barely been using it, and he said he had a portable Wifi router to go along with it, so he was probably on Wifi all the time rather than LTE/3G.

and at last, a kinda stupid question: can I attach a cell phone charm? I know this is a really stupid question, but it would be a nice extra :-)
    YES Like you, I'm less tempted by phones that don't have this feature

All in all I just want a normal phone with some extras. I do not surf the internet much, do not use too many apps and mainly just want to text and call and find my way around town via GPS.
    Texting will be limited by available keyboards (JP/EN) installed on phone. Map functions will probably be very limited outside Japan, too, unless you manage to sideload some map apps. No guarantee Google Maps will work.

Patrix.

Feedback Score
    Hey there!

Thank you for your thorough reply!! You answered all important questions!
    I decided to go with the SFH31, because WiFi is one of the most important aspects for me (while traveling, nothing sucks more than having no Internet!)

Thank you again, you've been really helpful :-)

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    AU by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    Hey there!

I decided to go with the SFH31, because WiFi is one of the most important aspects for me (while traveling, nothing sucks more than having no Internet!)

No problem!

Keep in mind this is all uncertain still, since I haven't used either phone, and I do live in Japan so I don't know how all the unlocking works. But you can contact JPhoner on this forum or others, I'm sure they have all the juicy details

Pat

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Everything Unlimited including roaming
    Feedback Score
    Hey there!

How's the SFH31 working for you? Wi-Fi? US 4G?

I have the same dilemma on either the DoCoMo or the KDDI AU.

Thanks,

E

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    The phone is great, and I surely do not regret getting it! The only thing that could be bothering people is the fact that onstalling and updating apps is kind of a hassle (you have to use an ADB Installer). And it does take some time to get used to the cursor/trackpad thingy. But everything else works like a charm. WiFi also works without any problems and so does my data plan and everything from SMS to internet use.

Feedback Score
    Oh, but just for your info, I'm from europe, so I do not know what will and will not work in the US, but I think it should be the same no matter where you are. Also, I can highly recommend kyoex.com the shop owner pre installs everything one asks for and he helped me alot even after my purchase. All in all a great guy and as far as I know he is currently the only person selling it unlocked!

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    AU by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    Awesome ya-ya, good to get some follow-ups. I held back myself on upgrading, and will watch to see if there are 2016 models coming out in the next few months and upgrade to that most probably, as I just finally got the 5.0 update on my Sony phone and didn't want to regress to 4.4 haha.

MrRoute66: the Docomo version, and now Softbank and Y!Mobile also joining in with the same as Docomo's, are crippled IMO in comparison to the AU version, simply by lack of wifi and weaker cameras...

Patrix.

Device(s)
    Sharo 930SH
    Carrier(s)
    Optus
    Feedback Score
    Hi all,

Thank you for the informative thread, its been over 4 years since I last looked at a keitai.. I've been waiting for the 3/4g to work outside of japan.. I've just ordered SFH31, eagerly awaiting its arrival to me in Sydney

Kind of eagerly bought it with only a few hours of research, but from what I see its the best model at present even though there is the 32 and current 2016 model with lower specs... !?..

The Musashi doesn't look too appealing even though its hardware is superior..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsinami View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you for the informative thread, its been over 4 years since I last looked at a keitai.. I've been waiting for the 3/4g to work outside of japan.. I've just ordered SFH31, eagerly awaiting its arrival to me in Sydney

Kind of eagerly bought it with only a few hours of research, but from what I see its the best model at present even though there is the 32 and current 2016 model with lower specs... !?..

The Musashi doesn't look too appealing even though its hardware is superior..
    So, I've had this phone for quite awhile now, and I can tell you that it's still working like a charm and there are only a few cons. What kinda bothers me is how hard it is to install new apps, you have to have a bit of knowledge computerwise, but if you get it going the apps will work. Besides that sometimes it's sometimes bothersome because it doesn't have a headphone socket, but that may only be bothersome if you want to listen to music on it. Other than that it takes quite a while to call someone because you always have to choose between a call to japan and one "overseas". The last thing is that you might want to turn off the voicemail option, which works like an answering machine, which is a really cool add on, because you can easily store and access your messages, but it's in japanese. So when someone calls you, they might get confused if there's some japanese lady explaining that they should leave a message
    Oh and one more thing: for normal text messages, use the app that should be pre-installed, depending on where you bought it. Because the normal, built in app doesn't allow you to use too many characters!
    but other than that, I don't think you'll regret getting it! It's really durable, waterproof and it has everything one needs!

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ... Other than that it takes quite a while to call someone because you always have to choose between a call to japan and one "overseas".
    Search somewhere in settings, every Japanese Sharp phone has this, you can disable the offer to convert the number.

Oh and one more thing: for normal text messages, use the app that should be pre-installed, depending on where you bought it. Because the normal, built in app doesn't allow you to use too many characters!
    The built-in "mail" app has a setting to switch from Japanese input (up to 70 characters) to English input (up to 140 characters). But if you mean the ability to merge several SMS into one longer than 140 characters, yes, you need an external app for that.
    Sharp mobile devices database & tips for Sharp smartphones: http://sharp.cheeseus.org
    Selling: Near mint Sharp SoftBank 005SH: SIM unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, leather case
    Selling: Sharp Aquos Phone 007SH – The Hybrid, SIM-unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, optimised.

Feedback Score
    Oh I didn't know that I can change the overseas call thing, I'll look into it, thanks for the info!
    As for the messages, yes I've meant merging more sms.

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh I didn't know that I can change the overseas call thing, I'll look into it, thanks for the info!
    As for the messages, yes I've meant merging more sms.
    Since this is an Android phone, I expect the setting will be in the same place as on my phone, which is:
    Settings > Call > Roaming settings > International dial assist > just remove the tick

Feedback Score
    uhm...i was interested in buying one of those phones. I already have a keitai but it is not android, it's a classic keitai bought many years ago (Sharp sh-10C that i still love!). I don't understand why the new flip phones are worst than the previous ones. I mean if we look back at 2010, 2011, 2012 flip phones had the "wow" factor. 3d screens, custom keypad illuminations, 13 and 16 MPX camera, often rotable screens....lol. The new flip phones, i mean the "android-smartphone-like" keitais, are nothing special. No rotable screens, no google play, no touchscreen(!!!!!), they are not so powerful and equipped with poor/average camera quality. what's going on lol! I'm not saiyng that they are not worth buying, i'm still thinking to buy one of those phones, but i'm a little bit confused and disappointed.Maybe I'll wait a little bit more, I hope in new good relases soon! what do you think about that?