Thread: 2nd Generation Motorola 360? um, YES

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

2nd Generation Motorola 360? um, YES

Here I am, almost a full year later when Howard asked me if I wanted to try out the new Motorola 360 2nd Gen. I immediately said yes because I still use my 360 Gen 1 daily.

So let me get into this with you and come at this from a slightly different angle then the other 2:
    Howard Reviewed the 2nd Gen 360 already. He basically gave it 3.5 out of 5 saying it could look better and was expensive.

acurrie also had a look and shared his thoughts as well and being a self admittedly non wearable guy didn't really like it.

Bollocks to them I say! I am a wearables guy when it comes to watches.
    First and foremost I wear a watch. Yes, I have the time on my phone. I also have the time on my watch, imagine that. The Motorola 360 just looks good. It looks like a watch. This is no longer an exclusive I will admit with nice models from Huawei and LG and even Tag Heuer now, that also look like proper watches.

So if you wear a watch currently you're already more inclined to like android wear watches I would think.

I use Android and used this watch with a Nexus 6p. It also works on iOS but I have 0 desire to use iOS so I can't help you there.

Battery
    Finally.
    Finally I can get through a full day no questions asked. No matter what I threw at the watch I would routinely get 11am until 3am battery runs with no issue and would get home with more then 50% usually.

I have the watch set to Ambient screen on (finally) but tilt to wake was off. I do a lot of driving so having that feature turned on would just light up the screen all day. However, for the sake of testing I left that feature on for a day. Guess what? I got home from working (11am till about 10pm) and the watch still had 21% battery left even after I watch it swing around all day on the steering wheel lighting itself up like the clueless little watch that it was. "This guys is nuts" the watch thought. "How many times a day does he need to check the time, holy" it would think as it dutifully lit up the screen to show me it's nice little screen.

For the purpose of science I even did what I could never, ever do on the 360 Gen 1. I didn't charge it overnight.
    I left the watch on my wrist right up until sheepy time around 2am. At that point I just took it off and set it on my night stand. Ambient screen stayed on but after a certain amount of time I believe the watch detects that it's not being worn/moved and even shuts the ambient screen down unless a notification comes in. I never noticed the ambient screen being shut off while I was wearing the watch though, which would routinely happen on the 360 gen 1 I have.

I woke up the next day to approx 47% (forgot to take a pic and the updated android wear app doesn't share battery statistics anymore. So bunk) and nervously headed out the door to work. Would my watch last me a day of work again. For the record I was using the watch as I usually do. Ambient screen ON, tilt to wake OFF. So I worked, and I ate and I got my notifications all day:
    Bookface notified me that Howard liked my picture. (Just kidding, he's never on there)
    Twitter notified me that him and her liked some other guy
    Starwars battlefront notified me that Meese Rancher started to play
    BookFace messenger notified me that Sabesh bought new USB C cables for his 6P
    Gmail notified me that Amazon was having a sale (when aren't they?)

My watch pinged and ponged all day. Lighting up the screen to full power with every notification, then going back into the power saving ambient screen 5 seconds later.

So you all must be hanging on the edge of your seats at this point. "Did the watch make it? DID IT"
    we'll discuss this, right after this commercial break! Just kidding, I hate that.
    Yes. Yes. It made it. 2 full days, no charging, pinging and ponging all 2 days with notifications, many of which I really don't need. I wasn't taking it easy on the watch either.

I really believe that the 360 2nd Gen is finally good enough to recommend as a daily wear watch. The original 360 I wouldn't. It was a good "nerd watch" but just doesn't last as you would assume a watch should. As an example here's a snippet of the Gen 1 review I did of the batter life:

My usage would be typical of many with one twist. I receive notifications for sms / Facebook Messenger / Calendar alerts etc etc. Basically as much as the next guy/gal I would assume. The twist for me is that I drive all day. so I'm basically always swinging my arm around. So much so that it would be safe to say the screen was lit a lot more then I wanted it to be. I did not use the ambient screen mode, and quite frankly, would have loved if the 360 had an option to turn OFF the gyro. I would gladly push the button if I wanted to light up the face (alerts will light up the watch on their own anyway.)

Here is my usage day by day that I jotted down:
    Saturday Nov 15: 9:30 am to 830pm 15% warning. 1015 pm died.
    Sunday Nov 16: 12:00 pm to 2:15 am 20% battery remaining.
    Tuesday Nov 18: 10:00 am to 1200 am 21% battery remaining.
    Wednesday Nov 19: 7:30 am till 12:00 am battery depleted
    Thursday Nov 20: 9:00 am till 1:30 am battery depleted
    Friday Nov 21: 9:00 am till 1:00 am 24%
    Saturday Nov 22 9:15 am until 2:30 am 20% remaining.

Clearly android wear has matured since then (you have the ability to turn off tilt to wake now) but more importantly for me in my usage I can actually leave tilt to wake ON if I chose to and still get through a work day. More importantly, I'd have more then enough power to go out after work and still have a watch.

Battery life on this is leaps and bounds better then the 360 Gen 1. I can't stress this enough.

Here are screen shots of the battery usage I was able to get before the android wear update took it out.
    Name:  2015-11-08 11am till 2am.png
Views: 330
Size:  118.6 KBName:  2015-11-09 04.44.03.png
Views: 323
Size:  160.7 KBName:  2015-11-09 08.16.46.png
Views: 314
Size:  160.8 KBName:  2015-11-11 13.30.58.png
Views: 277
Size:  136.7 KBName:  2015-11-09 08.16.46.png
Views: 314
Size:  160.8 KB

Charging
    QI charging has returned to the 360 Gen 2. Glorious, Glorious QI Charging. There is just 1 problem though.
    Since the 360 Gen 2 moved to industry standard watch 22mm watch lugs, which is fantastic, you can no longer charge the 360 Gen 2 on any old flat QI charging mat. You have to either use the supplied dock, or get a QI charger that's small enough so the lugs [i]overhang[/b] the charger allowing for flush contact to the back casing of the watch.

Name:  2015-11-22 12.24.59.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  52.9 KB

Aesthetic and Feel
    Just like the original the 2nd Gen Motorola 360 is a nice watch. It feels solidly built and looks good. Granted it still has that flat tire, and I'm not going to get into it to be honest. You know if you like it or not.

The simple fact that I can use the watch in ambient mode and not have to worry anymore means that I can actually use things that I would try and avoid prior. Things like Google Maps on the 360 with ambient screen work really well as an example:
    Name:  2015-11-07 21.44.41.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  2015-11-08 00.57.51.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  45.6 KB
    In this Image you can see it's almost 1AM in the morning and I still have 61% battery left on the day.

Software
    The big improvement in the year I've had the original 360 and leading into the 360 Gen 2 is the software.
    Google has added things (and removed things like the battery usage graph, WTF!) in the Android Wear space.

The software updates actually improved my original Motorola 360 a lot over the original incarnation. These improvements can definitely be seen and felt in the much faster and better spec'd 360 Gen 2.
    I often forget that the gestures I use daily were baked in later on. The wrist gesture, for example, is a great addition. Basically the way it works is if you get a notification you can quickly flip your wrist away from you to pull up that notification similar to the swipe up action. Conversely if you get a notification and it's in the way or you just don't want to deal with it now you quickly flip your wrist down or towards you. This will push the card down mimicking the swipe down feature.

Another nice addition to notifications is that the watch uses the gyro to determine if its in your vision or if it's turned away from you. This comes in handy in a social setting for privacy concerns. How this works is actually pretty ingenious. If i'm sitting at a table with friends, for example, my wrist would be on the table (manners be dammed) and the watch would be facing away from me. In this context the watch won't actually fire up the notification / synopsis for everyone else to see. Once I rotate my wrist back to me it'll be viewable. This feature works a lot better if you use tilt to wake to be honest.

I often surprise myself with things I can do with the watch. Half of the time I forget the cool stuff it can do. Things like controlling the playback on legally purchased items on your Plex server to your TV via chromecast, for example. Or things like the ability to take notes.

I find that I use my watch a lot more then I thought I would for location based notes as well. Things like "OK google, Remind me when I get home to write this blurb about the 360 Gen 2 on hofo" I use more often then not.

I even used it to look up the phone number for Richmond Count (LAMYEUNZ represent) so I could order some BBQ pork and Ha Gow to go.
    "Ok google, look up the number for Richmond Court in Richmond hill"

Closing Thoughts
    I was happy with my Gen 1 360 up until I used the Gen 2. This watch is just so so much better. The battery life alone has me wanting to use the heart rate monitor and step counter. Ok, maybe not, but all jokes aside if you're using the gen 1 360 and you really are curious about the gen 2 model I really recommend you try it out.

I don't understand why Motorola went with an LCD screen though. As good as this battery life is this time around I wonder if it would be a lot better had this screen gone OLED. I'd have to use the Huawei watch to compare (300mah OLED vs 400mah LCD in Moto) but i'm not that curious to have both watches to be honest.

I really have to scratch my head here and wonder why this gen 2 watch just wasn't the first offering. There is nothing in this watch today that wasn't available a year back. Granted it was Motorolas first foray into wearables but the LG and Samsung offerings of the time were also using Qualcomm processors vs the TI Omap that Motorola chose to go with. I swear, they build obsolescence into these watches on purpose but in the case of Motorola they really hurt themselves by going TI OMAP out of the gate.

Also worth noting is that the back cover of my original 360 actually fell off. Howard discussed it in his review as well. I don't wear my watch swimming and i'm not athletic. The most water this watch has seen is when I wash my hands. Regardless the back literally popped off and I just had to stick it back on using crazy glue. It still works. The back of the 360 Gen 2 is 1 solid piece now that the watch bands don't have to connect underneath the back so I can only assume the back cover will be a lot more robust then my original 360 Gen 1 was.

Regardless, If you're not a watch guy or if you don't wear watches will the Motorola 360 2nd Gen win you over? Maybe. It boils down to this: if you want notifications on your wrist that are discreet and can be acted upon when you chose then yes, you may like the 360. In this same train of thought though there are other, cheaper alternatives as well like the Asus Zenwatch II. It just doesn't look good IMHO.

I also really like the fact that the 360 2nd Gen uses normal everyday 22mm watch bands. No more attempted proprietary nonsense like the 360 Gen 1 tried to get away with. I searched ebay far and wide for metal bands for the original 360 and just got frustrated when I realized Motorola put an indentation on their metal bands for no other reason then to prevent a normal 22mm band to go in there. Shame on them, but they seemed to have
    learned this time around.

The simple fact that the new 360 Gen 2 uses 22mm watch bands means I can just go grab a nice metal band or some nice nato nylon watch straps I've been eyeing. If you choose to use the Motorola official watch bands they do provide a very nice slider to easily swap out bands as needed:
    Name:  2015-11-22 13.33.54.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  65.1 KB

I also feel that the 360 Gen 2 costs a lot more then the Gen 1 watch did. A Lot. not only that but the price of the watch went up and the quality of the Horween leather band, at least the one on this unit, has gone down. Not a big deal as I'll be swapping it out anyway.

I would also like to see Motorola sell this watch without ANY BANDS because if given the option I would just buy the watch and use my own bands or buy new ones.

Pros
    *Still one of the best looking Android Wear watches out ther
    *Excellent fit and finish with a back cover that hopefully won't fall off
    *Side button very clicky with latest software update
    *battery life finally able to let me leave the house anxiety free
    *Very natural extension of the Android Notification system
    *Ambient screen stays on all the time (unlike original Moto 360 gen 1)
    *22mm normal everyday watch lugs, not some proprietary nonsense
    *Did I mention battery life?
    *industry standard Qualcomm processor / internals (bye bye TI OMAP)
    *Easy to swap bands using Moto watch bands as a slide pin is on the band itself.

Cons
    *Can't use any flat QI charging pad
    *Pricing is higher then I'd like to see
    *Flat tire (i understand why, but it's still ugly)
    *Leather band just feels cheaper then before
    *LCD vs OLED screen
    Last edited by Treatz; 11-22-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is the most comprehensive, funny and enjoyable review that I've read on HoFo recently! It's great to have the perspective of someone who wears a smart device everyday, like I do.

The 360 Mk 2 seems almost perfect. My only peeve is that it should be charged without a pad/mat, a la Sony Smartwatch 3.
    Last edited by sabesh; 11-23-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yes, great review it obviously pays to put someone on the job who actually wants to use the device.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I agree. I'd also like to see a standard micro USB charger as well

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Yes, great review it obviously pays to put someone on the job who actually wants to use the device.
    Thanks. I actually like using Android wear devices. That's my whole angle

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile, Koodo, WIND Mobile, Fido
    Feedback Score
    It's a good angle to have. Great job!

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully the Moto-360 generation 2 fixes what I perceive as a manufacturer's defect with their Moto-360 back.

The back of my Moto-360 developed a few cracks on the back along the 4 places where the metal pins would fit and attach the watch band as has happened to many people. Luckily I got mine replaced under warranty when I contacted Motorola.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    Hopefully the Moto-360 generation 2 fixes what I perceive as a manufacturer's defect with their Moto-360 back.

The back of my Moto-360 developed a few cracks on the back along the 4 places where the metal pins would fit and attach the watch band as has happened to many people. Luckily I got mine replaced under warranty when I contacted Motorola.
    I've had no issues with my 2nd gen 360. Still love it.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz View Post
    I've had no issues with my 2nd gen 360. Still love it.
    Sorry for any confusion my earlier post might have caused but the manufacturer's defect that I was mentioning with their Moto-360 back is with the Moto-360 1st generation watch.

If you do a Google search on "crack back moto 360 watch" you will find a lot of users who had similar problems to what I experienced with my Moto-360 1st generation watch. My Moto-360 never fell or was treated harshly where the back would develop cracks along what I perceive as stress points from the watchband pins when there was absolutely no cracks in the front of my watch from any possible fall. I also never removed my watch band and had/have the original watchband with my Moto 360 1st generation watch. Luckily as I mentioned, I got Motorola to replace/repair the back of my watch during the warranty period.

I'm hoping that the Moto-360 2nd generation watch doesn't have this "watchband pin stress point" issue

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    Sorry for any confusion my earlier post might have caused but the manufacturer's defect that I was mentioning with their Moto-360 back is with the Moto-360 1st generation watch.

If you do a Google search on "crack back moto 360 watch" you will find a lot of users who had similar problems to what I experienced with my Moto-360 1st generation watch. My Moto-360 never fell or was treated harshly where the back would develop cracks along what I perceive as stress points from the watchband pins when there was absolutely no cracks in the front of my watch from any possible fall. I also never removed my watch band and had/have the original watchband with my Moto 360 1st generation watch. Luckily as I mentioned, I got Motorola to replace/repair the back of my watch during the warranty period.

I'm hoping that the Moto-360 2nd generation watch doesn't have this "watchband pin stress point" issue
    No worries. I had the gen 1 360. My back cover fell off which I included in its review.

I was just answering your question about how the 2nd gen 360 design addresses this. I haven't had an issue.

Feedback Score
    This is great, thanks!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Name:  received_10157439961850094.jpeg
Views: 111
Size:  8.7 KB

FYI. This watch gets updated frequently.