Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugwart View Post
    By using the Settings menu.
    Are you restoring any iCloud backup after? The iCloud backup may contain some previous carrier setting that is interfering with your new phone company settings.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @Bugwart:

My 2˘ of thoughts, based on long-time reading of these forums, rather than real knowledge (you've been warned):

It sounds like your VZW issue is some sort of advanced provisioning problem. My gut sense is that your daughter fixed her problem not so much by getting a new phone, but by changing the IMEI and "advanced" model number (see below) of the phone, so her account had to be re-provisioned.

Have you tried pushing on VZW support to escalate the issue to an advanced group that can unravel complex provisioning issues?

About "Advanced" Model Numbers:

There may be some relevance to the phone's "advanced" (my term) model number. If you go to "Setting -> General -> About" you'll see "Model Number" which probably starts with an "M". This advanced model number gives the full definition of the phone, including color, memory amount, intended carrier, and intended country of sale. Here's a web site which decodes that info:

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Models

For example, my iPhone's "advanced" model number is MGAU2LL/A. This identifies is as a retail space grey iPhone 6 Plus 64GB for the USA or Canada intended for AT&T. It's the "LL" that specifies the USA. I'm guessing your son-in-law's phone has a "D" for Germany in that position, instead of the "LL."

I don't know what importance, if any, this advanced model number may have to the issue, but you might want to point it out to VZW the next time you talk to them. It might ring a bell with someone who has in-depth knowledge of VZW's provisioning system.

Feedback Score
    Therefore, we had two A1586s sold by Apple in Germany which could not be made to work normally on the VZW network by the Verizon Store (company, not franchise), Verizon Customer Service, the Apple Store Genius Bar, or (so far) Apple Customer service. Swapping my daughter's Apple (Germany) sold A1586 for a seemingly identical Apple (US) A1586 solved the problem for her. My son-in-law's Apple (Germany) sold A1586 is still not functioning on the VZW network on a continuous basis. The just checked the German SIM and the phone re-boots normally and roams on the AT&T network. It is back now with the VZW SIM.
    Interesting indeed. As is this.

I agree with quagmire that you look beyond the model A1586 itself. There are variations on that model.

I recommend finding German forums discussing use of the iPhone 6 A1586 overseas in the states on the Verizon network. Those who, in the states, may have gone through Verizon Corporate stores, not "authorized resellers" and Apple Stores and their customer service as you have. See if others had the same problem. You might need to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access German websites to do so, there are some free ones you should be able to use.

There may be something we don't know when such a phone is purchased overseas, even if it is from an Apple Store. For instance, are any rules dependent on country and or carrier somehow? Maybe it is still somehow semi-locked in Germany, hence holding the IMEI hostage somehow. The phones may be built as unlocked, but that doesn't mean they always are unlocked, as when sold in the states.

At the time of it’s launch, A1586, which worked on every network on earth, both CDMA and GSM, except in some parts of China could be obtained in two ways.
    1) From Sprint locked to Sprint or carriers like C Spire and US Cellular. If you buy it full price from Sprint, they will unlock it, but it has to have a Sprint sim in it to get unlocked so…not the best route….
    2) Directly from Apple in the U.S., unlocked. This will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and carriers that use their networks.
    3) Overseas means info?

Normally, with iPhones which were purchased outside the U.S., the problem is that Verizon does not recognize the device (because its IMEI number is not in their "whitelist" database). Meaning you can't get support from them or activate a new number with that phone. But you said the IMEI did show up for Verizon. Hence, time to go back to the source, Germany. Is there any chance the previous carrier still has protection of that IMEI?

Tuan Do (http://www.techwalls.com/author/rickyadmin), the author of this article: Differences between iPhone 6 Models (A1549, A1586, A1589, A1522, A1524 and A1593) may have some insight or be able to steer you in the right direction. See: http://www.techwalls.com/differences...-6-plus-models

Last edited by spire; 12-10-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Phone
    Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier
    VZW, 3(IRL), O2(D), 中国联通
    Feedback Score
    Apple customer service solved the problem. It was a setting on Apple's server. They corrected it and the phone now works perfectly.
    Bugwart

Feedback Score
    Apple customer service solved the problem. It was a setting on Apple's server. They corrected it and the phone now works perfectly.
    Excellent! Good to know. Wonder what that setting related to...

Phone
    Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier
    VZW, 3(IRL), O2(D), 中国联通
    Feedback Score
    Spire,
    My daughter spoke to Apple customer service. It seems that since the phone was sold in Germany by Apple, it was set up as a German phone by Apple. Apple corrected this, and from that point on, the phone worked.

Now that I am aware of this issue, and there are settings on the Apple servers that effect an iPhone's ability to activate in a different country; it makes me wonder whether the Apple SIM Free phones could suffer from similar problems.

I can't believe that this was the first time that someone has brought a German (or another) iPhone to another country and activated it. Therefore, I am surprised that Apple had not sorted this out until now.

Phone
    Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier
    VZW, 3(IRL), O2(D), 中国联通
    Feedback Score
    brad15,

The problem may well have occurred on the AT&T network since the goal was not to roam in the US, but rather to register and activate the phone in the US. Since the problem was finally determined to be due to a setting on the Apple servers, I do not think that it was a provider dependent problem.

Feedback Score
    Spire,
    My daughter spoke to Apple customer service. It seems that since the phone was sold in Germany by Apple, it was set up as a German phone by Apple. Apple corrected this, and from that point on, the phone worked.

Now that I am aware of this issue, and there are settings on the Apple servers that effect an iPhone's ability to activate in a different country; it makes me wonder whether the Apple SIM Free phones could suffer from similar problems.

I can't believe that this was the first time that someone has brought a German (or another) iPhone to another country and activated it. Therefore, I am surprised that Apple had not sorted this out until now.
    Bugwart,

I think you may have experienced something similar to an issue that is a problem for some U.S. SIM Free iPhone 6/6s owners wanting to use their phones internationally. You are fortunate you were able to talk to a customer service representatives who were aware of what the problem might be, and that they were able to fix it for you.

This problem is still going on and relatively unknown until people experience it. It appears to be an issue with iPhone 6/6s models that were offered as "Service Replacement" phones by Apple and assigned an "incorrect policy" from Apple's servers. (See below.) The error occurs when the Apple Server tries to validate the iPhone's IMEI number, there is a lack of synchronization between the databases of Verizon Wireless and Apple servers.

The phones will work with U.S. domestic carriers but not with international SIMs when the user receives a "SIM Not Valid" alert.

If the Apple customer support person you talk to is uninformed of this issue, what needs to be done is to escalate the case to a Level 2 Support Technician or a Senior Level Advisor who will agree to forward a request to the Apple's engineers who can fix it from their side. This is the only way to fix it by getting the "policy" corrected.

When properly identified, what Apple will tell you is that you have "a replacement device with an incorrect activation policy" (which takes 30 minutes to 24 hours for engineers to correct). Sometimes the iPhone needs to be restored after Apple makes the change to the policy for the phone, before it will work with an international sim.

Most people who have run into this issue get stuck in a loop where Apple tells them their phone is locked to AT&T or Verizon. (Yes, we all know Verizon can not legally lock phones.) AT&T or Verizon will accurately say the phone is not locked to their servers. The result is a frustrated phone owner. Unfortunately many find out only when they get overseas.

The SIM Free iPhone "appears" to be locked "internationally" when in reality it is an Apple server setting that essentially acts like an international lock. It can require quite a bit of patience to be nice and persistent with Apple Customer Service, and repeated calls/visits to find someone who is open to the idea, since it is an obscure problem relative to the number of total Apple customers, but a large problem for those in need of international phone use. "Service Replacement" iPhone 6/6s appear to be identified by model numbers starting with an "N".

Should someone plan to use the phone internationally, or want to get more value upon resale, it would be wise for anyone who has received a replacement SIM Free iPhone 6/6s to check their phone. This information is also good for future buyers of iPhone 6/6s who wish to use the phone internationally. There have already been cases where honest owners have sold their phone, not knowing it would not work overseas when the buyer has expectations of it working globally. Neither party is typically at fault, since the SIM Free 6/6s iPhones are promoted as unlocked to begin with.

When contacting Apple Support, it is strongly recommended to provide the AppleCare+ work order created during the "replacement" and the "order number". This will ensure that the "replacement phone" has the same "policy" as the original phone to ensure that all International SIM's will work. Receipts from your original phone prior to the replacement might help also.

The following information can be viewed with the aid of a reputable IMEI GSX (Global Service Exchange) checker for $1–2:

The policy for the phone to work domestically and internationally should read:
    US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 = Fully Factory Unlocked for U.S. + Worldwide Use

As opposed to something like:
    US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy = Unlocked Domestically / Locked Internationally
    Last edited by spire; 12-12-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    I'm actually having a very similar experience on Straight Talk (Verizon). Mine would not connect to the Verizon towers after a restart. The phone will generally connect after about 5 minutes to 6 hours, but no data service, only voice. However the phone does say I had LTE. Long story short, after a factory reset, the phone actually works perfectly...until you update the carrier settings. Once you update the carrier settings...same problem. I performed a factory reset and did not update the carrier settings and my service is working fine now.

Feedback Score
    My story is kinda similar. I was stationed in Germany the last two years and moved back two months ago. While in Germany my wife and I both got A1856 Iphones from the store on base. We used our phones with multiple carriers in many different European countries. When we arrived back to the states I tried to get Verizon service and both phones do the one bar of LTE and then no service. Verizon referred me to Apple and there answer is that my phone has the CDMA portion locked since it was a German telecom phone. So I'm currently using ATT with no problems. After reading this thread I tried to call last night and the Apple rep said that the server shows nothing wrong with my phone. What do I need to tell the Apple rep to get them to fix the problem so I can switch to Verizion if I wanted too?

Feedback Score
    I received my new Rose Gold 128GB Sim Free 6S directly from Apple last week. I had no issues at all activating a Verizon 4G LTE SIM card with it. So far I am getting great LTE service with my 6S and Verizon.

Phone
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I had a similar issue. replacement Verizon iPhone 5 from Apple store was activated with a Cricket sim. Month later I tried to use a Tmobile sim and an AT&T sim, but it says no service. To this day it will only work with the Cricket sim.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2