Thread: Chatr's future now that Rogers owns Mobilicity

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Chatr's future now that Rogers owns Mobilicity

What is the future of Chatr now that Rogers owns Mobilicity? Inside its zones, Mobi seems like a better deal than Chatr. Both are limited to 3G (though Chatr is presumably full-speed 3G without a premium data add-on).

It seems to me that if you mostly stay inside Mobi's zones, that Mobi is the better deal. And I bet most Canadians do spend most of their time inside them since Mobi has set up shop in many of Canada's biggest cities. (Am I right to presume that if you have Mobilicity and fly from one zone to the other than your unlimited plan keeps working, or are there surcharges if you hop zones?)

Chatr has the advantage of not being zoned, but is Chatr even on the radar of the typical road-warrior who travels a lot? Those of you on Chatr, are you considering moving to Mobi? Did any of you take advantage of their pre-Black Friday promo (Mobi was offering unlimited talk and text for $15, and you could add-on throttled data for $10, easily beating Chatr's $25 plan). If not, why do you stay with Chatr?

Chatr was created to compete with Wind, but now that Rogers owns Mobi, what do you think Chatr's future is?
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Chatr has a bigger presence than Mobi and their zones are larger. It would be more likely that Mobi gets folded into Chatr.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Chatrlicity:
    $30 Unlimited NAM , $30 Unlimited Province Wide

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Chatr has a bigger presence than Mobi and their zones are larger. It would be more likely that Mobi gets folded into Chatr.

How does Chatr have a bigger presence? Are there even dedicated Chatr stores anymore, or are they just multi-brand outlets? Mobi has a dealer network. Seems to be that Mobi may be higher profile brand, and the more naturally positioned to compete with Wind.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Mobi: Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver
    Chatr: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton (Basically GTHA), London, Niagara, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Mobi: Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver
    Chatr: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton (Basically GTHA), London, Niagara, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver
    Chatr is nationwide throughout the Rogers network now, isn't it? T-Booth Wireless (one of those multi-brand outlets) sells it in Victoria now, for example.

Chatr being available in more places doesn't guarantee it's higher profile. Cityfone is available across Canada, but I'd be willing to bet that fewer Canadians know about Cityfone than know about Mobilicity. Mobi having storefronts in some of Canada's biggest cities and having earned a lot of discussion on here, on Mobilesyrup, etc., may have made it higher profile than it has any right being.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    +1
    You are the winner sir

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    What is the future of Chatr now that Rogers owns Mobilicity?...

... Chatr was created to compete with Wind, but now that Rogers owns Mobi, what do you think Chatr's future is?
    The future is definitely friendly!
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Z24 View Post
    The future is definitely friendly!
    For now
    I can totally see Chatr ending up in limbo like Solo

Rogers uses Fido to compete with Virgin & Koodo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    For now
    I can totally see Chatr ending up in limbo like Solo

Rogers uses Fido to compete with Virgin & Koodo
    I don't think so, Chatr is the perfect platform for immigrants, new comers & visitors/travellers... No Contracts, low Inter. LD rate... Just missing access to LTE in my opinion.