Thread: This is Madness. This is Canada.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post This is Madness. This is Canada.

Name:  roam-mobility-pricing.png
Views: 686
Size:  50.3 KB

I've twice had the pleasure of using Roam Mobility in the United States. This MVNO uses the T-Mobile network to provide Canadians visiting the USA with unlimited LTE data for $4 USD per day. At current exchange rates that's not as cheap as Rogers' Roam Like Home, but if you have an unlocked phone and are not a Rogers customer I think it's your best bet.

Now Roam Mobility is available for Americans visiting Canada. You can tell that they've partnered with a Big Three Carrier because (1) they're offering LTE data, and (2) the plans are absolute s**t.

If you're having trouble reading the screen grab above, I'll spell it out for you:

7 days - 500 MB of data - $26.95 USD
    14 days - 500 MB of data - $37.95 USD
    21 days - 500 MB of data - $49.95 USD

With 500 MB of data you can perform up to 5 speed tests (if you turn the graphics off) and then regale friends back home with stories about how our LTE networks are slightly faster than yours. Seriously, as someone on vacation I'd be okay with 500 MB per day, but per week? This is madness.

But this is also Canada, where carriers regularly advertise monthly plans with 500 MB of data per month, as if everything's fine and we're all still in 2006 using BlackBerries on BIS.

I suspect that any American carrier would offer a better roaming package than what Roam Mobility has cooked up—in fact, T-Mobile USA allows their subscribers to roam here for free. I can't fault Roam Mobility for trying; if nothing else they're at least offering visitors an authentic Canadian mobile experience.

Source: Roam Mobility via iPhone in Canada, Mobile Syrup
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is why I switched to T-Mobile in the US. AT&T was robbing me blind on calls/text, and I had to block data. I used to use Skype over WiFi, but in the long term, when I needed to have service (planning with family, Google Maps, text, etc), T-Mobile basically covered data/text (slow data anyways) last summer 'included'. Now, if I'm not mistaken its full speed ahead, and no big deal.

These kind of roaming deals with Roam won't last, most carriers offer similar deals, if not better deals.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    I've twice had the pleasure of using Roam Mobility in the United States. This MVNO uses the T-Mobile network to provide Canadians visiting the USA with unlimited LTE data for $4 USD per day. At current exchange rates that's not as cheap as Rogers' Roam Like Home, but if you have an unlocked phone and are not a Rogers customer I think it's your best bet.

Roam Mobility charges in Canadian dollars, so it's not $4 USD per day, it's $4 (well, $3.95) CAD per day. :-)
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

This is Madness. This is Canada.

At this point, there are plenty of good deals from US carriers for roaming in Canada with certain specific plans.

e.g.
    Cricket - includes Canadian roaming
    AT&T gophone - includes Canadian roaming
    T-Mobile postpaid - includes Canadian roaming
    Verizon postpaid - for $2/day you roam in Canada using your existing data bucket.

I would have to be very careful with only 500MB available on a trip.

e.g. I could walk into an AT&T store before my trip, give them $60, and enjoy 4GB on my trip with unlimited voice/text.

A couple of years ago, this Roam offering wouldn't have been a bad deal.
    Last edited by mch; 12-04-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Roam Mobility charges in Canadian dollars, so it's not $4 USD per day, it's $4 (well, $3.95) CAD per day. :-)
    Really? Well, then... screw you, Rogers!

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I head up to the Kawartha Lakes in Ontario every summer, and I'm somehow able to use data (I've only used 3G phones before) without roaming charges on PagePlus. They definitely know I'm roaming since I get charged for calls. It's nice to not get charged extra for texts AND data. I don't know if the CDMA shutdown is complete in Canada yet but now I have an LTE phone (G4) so it'll be interesting to see what happens the next time I'm up there.

Carrier(s)
    Solo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When they say 'no overages' does that imply that data is “Unlimited? "

Also, is Roam mobility (or it's parent company) a CLEC? I'm just curious where they are going to be getting the Canadian phone numbers for their customers. Does anyone know?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_KeyKong View Post
    When they say 'no overages' does that imply that data is “Unlimited? "
    Pretty sure it means that once your enormous data bucket of 500 MB is done you'll have to get a new SIM...

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Where Rogers excels is you get access to AT&T as well + Roam Like home works in europe and south/central america.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Pretty sure it means that once your enormous data bucket of 500 MB is done you'll have to get a new SIM...

Likely not a new SIM, just re-up the plan. A shame it doesn't drop to unlimited 2.5G-speed data when you run out of high-speed. But that's very much in keeping with how Canadian plans work, sadly.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is a rip off to any american coming to Canada....AT&T GoPhone, Cricket, T-Mobile and MetroPCS all now offer Unlimited Roaming in Canada without a single dollar more...and did I mention you really get more for less with those carrier's?

Roam Mobility is basically going to be ripping off Canadians trying to get these plans for use in Canada...they are also charging this price in USD....did anyone not tell Roam Mobility that AT&T GoPhone, Cricket, T-Mobile and MetroPCS are giving it for free? Not to mention Roam Mobility plans are only for use in Canada where as in the 4 carrier's I mentioned let you use your phone in USA + Canada + Mexico?

anyone investing even a single dollar into roam mobility FROM the US when coming to Canada is simply wasting money.

Feedback Score
    I went to the states today and tried out Roam Mobility (I didn't know about Roam Like Home on Roges ) and where they said I should have LTE and even in the main city, getting Edge data speeds. Rebooted and called support and got an excuse well us there's congestion on the tower.

Now I know about roam like home on my rogers. I'm happy now.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuman View Post
    I went to the states today and tried out Roam Mobility (I didn't know about Roam Like Home on Roges ) and where they said I should have LTE and even in the main city, getting Edge data speeds. Rebooted and called support and got an excuse well us there's congestion on the tower.

Now I know about roam like home on my rogers. I'm happy now.

What handset were you using? Does it support band 12 LTE? Did you upgrade your Roam account to LTE (or is that automatic these days)? What plan were you on with Roam? What area were you in?

Feedback Score
    I was using an unlocked Z30 and it does not have Band 12. The support rep tried provisioning the account but said the "towers were overloaded" after even doing a shut down and reset on my phone.

I was on the talk+text+data for $3.95. I was in the zone for LTE speed in Plattsburgh, NY (12901) zip code. Never even hit 3G speeds

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuman View Post
    I was using an unlocked Z30 and it does not have Band 12. The support rep tried provisioning the account but said the "towers were overloaded" after even doing a shut down and reset on my phone.

I was on the talk+text+data for $3.95. I was in the zone for LTE speed in Plattsburgh, NY (12901) zip code. Never even hit 3G speeds
    FWIW, last summer I was in an area of Washington State that was supposed to be covered by LTE. I didn't see a great deal of it there. A couple of weeks ago I used Roam Mobility in those same parts of rural Washington State (with the very same device) and had LTE service almost everywhere, pretty much as T-Mobile's coverage map advertised. It's been hugely improved. Roam Mobility worked flawlessly and T-Mobile's network was as advertised. I think the coverage maps got ahead of the upgrades at one point in 2015.

As with any carrier, you would ideally roam with a device that supports all of the roaming partner's advertised frequencies. Not doing so is a bit like complaining about speeds and congestion on a multi-lane road while using a vehicle that is only able to travel in a single lane. It's not the highway department's fault if you don't have a good experience after choosing a vehicle that can't use the entire road. Band 12 support is absolutely crucial for a good T-Mobile roaming experience these days.

This is true when using Rogers' Roam Like Home in the U.S. as well. For the best coverage and speeds you'll want to roam with a device that supports all of AT&T's and T-Mobile's deployed frequencies.