Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LTE Roaming "officially live"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    It doesn't look that impressive at all.
    It's missing a lot of the USCC LTE footprint in the Northern New England area nor does it appear to be LTE Roaming+. It's also missing tons of potential roaming LTE coverage and native LTE coverage in Vermont. I'm not sure why Sprint hasn't appeared to gotten its act together in Vermont with its LTE network, and honestly I almost gave up on T-Mobile up in Vermont for LTE coverage and simply hoped for VoLTE/LTE roaming on VTel.

The issues related to the Canadian IBEZ should have been cleared already.
    In the case of Vermont, I think that there is no U.S. Cellular roaming in Vermont because of Sprint's partnership with VTel. My guess is Sprint is waiting for VTel to activate its LTE network so that Sprint customers can have pseudo native LTE coverage as opposed to LTE roaming with a cap.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless - AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paynefanbro View Post
    In the case of Vermont, I think that there is no U.S. Cellular roaming in Vermont because of Sprint's partnership with VTel. My guess is Sprint is waiting for VTel to activate its LTE network so that Sprint customers can have pseudo native LTE coverage as opposed to LTE roaming with a cap.
    VTel has been running LTE for around 1.5-2 years now depending where in Vermont and they already offer data only plans. I have been able to pick up their B4/B17 LTE network for about a year now and only found out when I was playing with my Samsung Galaxy S4 last year picked up 311-990.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6#post15384736

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    VTel has been running LTE for around 1.5-2 years now and they already offer data only plans.
    I'm well aware. In fact, the majority of Sprint's RRPP partners already have LTE up and running. It's a matter of getting Sprint devices to authenticate on their network as native devices and things like MFBI if the carrier is using Band2 or Band 5 that causing things to take so long.

Feedback Score
    How do you view that larger nationwide map? I have stumbled on to it before but can only access the map that zooms out maybe 10 miles based on the location entered.

Feedback Score
    Will there be the need to "update profile"? or "update PRL"? for this?

I have a GS5 that I take to a USCC area that this map tells me has "LTE roaming".

I wonder if there is anything I need to do to my account/phone before going there and expecting LTE!!

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Am in a USCC area right now that is green. No native Sprint service in the area... Am getting 5 bars of EV-DO but no LTE. Already updated the PRL.

This is both on an HTC One M9 and iPhone 6.

If I select these devices on the coverage viewer, the LTE roaming goes away.

Are there actually any devices that can use this yet?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Am in a USCC area right now that is green. No native Sprint service in the area... Am getting 5 bars of EV-DO but no LTE. Already updated the PRL.

This is both on an HTC One M9 and iPhone 6.

If I select these devices on the coverage viewer, the LTE roaming goes away.

Are there actually any devices that can use this yet?
    Doesn't uscc use band 12 and band 5? The iPhone 6 should have band 5 but not sure if the M9 does.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    I live in Bend, OR. and when traveling out to Burns for example, my phone roams onto US Cellular EVDO.
    Oops- yes, I used to know this and seem to have forgotten (I mean the EVDO roaming on US Cellular). I've also heard (although not yet experienced first hand) that a Sprint phone roaming on Verizon can do so via EVDO. In any event, thrilled to see this improve. If Sprint needs to 'spend' somewhere plan-wise to attract customers, having fast roaming and being more permissive with it would definitely entice folks (assuming they can afford it).
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post

Doesn't uscc use band 12 and band 5? The iPhone 6 should have band 5 but not sure if the M9 does.
    Also tried it on my parent's 6S - - no love there either.

Yes, USCC uses both 5 and 12 - - but 5 is deployed across the entire network as well since before the 6S, the only LTE band USCC had that the iPhone supported was 5 - - so aside from a very very few exceptions (which until the iPhone 6s were spelled out in the fine print) wherever there is band 12 there is also band 5.

In the area I was testing USCC only has Band 5 and a sliver of PCS (band 2)... Pretty sure the LTE is in 5 around here.

Definately was in the green area with 5 bars EV-DO on a USCC site I know has LTE (also tried by another site... No love).

It's brand new... Sprint has a habit of showing coverage before it's available. Maybe it's not there yet lol

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Contrary to what a lot of people think, Sprint has had a Verizon roaming agreement from day 1--

Really? Right back to their GSM days? I had no idea! On Verizon's analogue network?
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    The only big change is if folks get LTE speed, they'll hit roaming limits faster. So that's a real concern.

You might be surprised. It depends on usage. If someone downloads a web page and reads it, then a few seconds more or less for loading it is largely inconsequential to how much data is used. If you're streaming data and it adjusts the quality automatically for a better connection then it could make a huge difference.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys, just wanted to say I've been roaming on US Cellular LTE in western North Carolina when I've gone there on the weekends the past few weeks.

I've used a little bit of data and checked my usage, and it hasn't been counting against my roaming data...unless it just hasn't shown up yet.
    It's been fast too.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin520 View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to say I've been roaming on US Cellular LTE in western North Carolina when I've gone there on the weekends the past few weeks.

I've used a little bit of data and checked my usage, and it hasn't been counting against my roaming data...unless it just hasn't shown up yet.
    It's been fast too.
    Which phone, and what's your PRL?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Which phone, and what's your PRL?
    iPhone 6 Plus.

Sprint 22.1
    Version 9.1
    PRL 55030

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin520 View Post

iPhone 6 Plus.

Sprint 22.1
    Version 9.1
    PRL 55030
    Hmm interesting... My PRLs are 55029 on the M9 and 54029 on my 6. Tried to push an update but it's still giving me 029.

I wonder if you need 030 to get the new roaming?

Since LTE is handled like GSM, is this dealt with in the PRL or via the network side on the SIM card?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast