Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: LTE Roaming "officially live"

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've yet to be able to LTE roam anywhere in Washington State, even in areas where I know they have LTE and where there isn't a lick of Sprint signal. Get EV-DO at least and it locks onto it quickly - - situation is the same on both my HTC M9 and iPhone 6 (USCC LTE is Band 5 here and it does show available on the map and an iPhone 6 with a T-Mobile SIM can also scan and see it--but not connect--so I know it's not an issue of not having a 6S)... Also getting Verizon EV-DO every now and again... Which is nice - - but the priority is bottom of the barrel... There can't be ANY and I mean ANY, even an unusable wisp, of Sprint or other roaming partner data signal before it will latch on.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    No detectable US Cellular LTE roaming in Oregon that I have found yet. I drove to Lake Billy Chinook this past weekend (Cove Pallisades SP). Only providers once you drive down from the rim are ATT and US Cellular.

Same as last year, not better, not worse. Sprint iPhone 6 saw 3G EVDO (but at this location same as slow as 1x). Verizon iPhone 6S sees 1x-only roaming on US Cellular. Yes, the roaming agreement for Verizon users is 1x only-- or has been this way for years anyway. Not holding my breath-- maybe next year.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just an additional followup: Drove from Eugene, OR to Lapine, OR (via Sisters). Did the loop between McKenzie River highway and 58. Camped at Camp Sherman, Lapine SP, and Little Crater (Paulina Lake).

My wife's Sprint iPhone 6 found LTE in some places (incidentally none in Sisters OR), but seemed to drop from LTE to 1x. Very rarely seeing 3G/Evdo. It was odd enough that I wonder if her phone is having issues. We did the ##UPDATE# before leaving and again in Sisters, so presume current PRL. Mostly 1x roaming on US Cellular where possible. Lots of native 1x Sprint too. Which of course is fine for simple text or voice, not so much for data. I haven't seen a recent decoded Sprint PRL, but I second those who say Verizon roaming has lowered in priority. The phone only roamed on Verizon where no other option existed, and didn't find Verizon quickly when that was the case.

At Lapine campground my ATT device found 3Mb/s or faster "4G" and the Verizon and Sprint devices had 1x roaming on US Cellular.
    Camp Sherman - spotty coverage by all carriers that have coverage, mostly 1x on US Cellular.
    Paulina Lake - Verizon or US Cellular only options -- no ATT, no ATT roaming partner. Verizon switching due to weak signal between LTE and 3G EVDO. Slow speeds in the campgrounds but minimally useful (worked for weather, navigation, and some simple text and picture texts etc.)

No sign at all of US Cellular LTE anywhere at anytime (My wife's Sprint iPhone 6 never saw Extended LTE).

Very nice trip, not great in the way of data coverage. Voice and text was available in most places. Anyway, more evidence that Sprint's LTE roaming on US Cellular isn't here yet. -- or that US Cellular doesn't have LTE at all in these locations-- don't know.

-Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Sprint BB 8830 (POS)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well I'd like to chime in and make a minor correction. LTE roaming on Us cellular is most definitely here! In Oregon to an extent... There is a light at the end of the tunnel!!

I travel that same general area that you took your trip monthly and completely agree with what your reporting back over there. I know USCC has LTE over there too! I've yet to roam on it yet for what ever reason. What I've experienced so far is kinda interesting... I've found loads of USCC LTE roaming on the west side of i5 and zero on the east side so far. I'm very curious as to why that might be, why not allow it to extend into central Oregon as well?

I've heard rumors that you can find some on the east side of bend too but yet to confirm. Hopefully my next trip over soon I'd be able to personally make heads or tails of that!

One thing that I'm positive for sure is that it's NOT extended LTE! At least for now 😕

Attached photo was just a couple weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the correction and updates kievitk!

At the moment, my wife's Sprint phone only roams 1x or in locations with slow 3G EVDO. Consequently, we never have to even remotely worry about using too much roaming data. Our trip this week registered as 19Mb roaming data total. We have an old Sprint plan that should permit up to 300Mb. I wonder if we actually ever see fast roaming data if hitting the cap will be an issue. We only roam when we vacation so maybe Sprint won't care. Anyway, I'm curious how this all works out once LTE roaming is more available.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    In a press release this morning, Pioneer Cellular and Transaction Network Solutions announced that Pioneer has joined the TNS Roaming Hub, which is the new name for the former CCA Roaming Hub I guess.

http://www.tnsi.com/media-center/new...aming-network/

From what I can gather, TNS is the back-end company that developed the CCA Roaming hub in conjunction with Sprint and is expanding with the addition of carriers such as Nex-Tech, United, and Pioneer, to provide LTE and VoLTE roaming services in Kansas and Oklahoma in places where Sprint has no native system and has previously only had 3G roaming, as is the case with Pioneer. Interesting development.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    I can tell you that I DO NOT roam on Verizon for LTE data here in western Va. Another interesting thing is that I dont roams on LTE in on spot but on another about 2 miles down the road on the SAME TOWER?? How does that happen?? Its almost as if the tower only has roaming capability on one section of tower.

Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have to ask, with a 100mb cap on roaming what is the point of LTE? It's like you open facebook twice and are done for the month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by The Beet View Post
    I have to ask, with a 100mb cap on roaming what is the point of LTE? It's like you open facebook twice and are done for the month.
    Yes, I think this is a very good question. If we get to a point where LTE roaming is available as any roaming today (for Sprint users), then folks will readily hit the cap doing very little. One hopes this would cause Sprint to loosen roaming limits, but who knows. It could go many other ways.

Feedback Score
    I don't know that my old plan has limits but I feel like I'm being throttled and even turned off in some areas. The billing cycle just started and while staying overnight in a verizon area the phone had no roaming data. Calling them was excruciating, but I fought the good fight and I guess they are sending me a new network sim card. Does anyone know why this would happen?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarlmcracken View Post
    I don't know that my old plan has limits but I feel like I'm being throttled and even turned off in some areas. The billing cycle just started and while staying overnight in a verizon area the phone had no roaming data. Calling them was excruciating, but I fought the good fight and I guess they are sending me a new network sim card. Does anyone know why this would happen? Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Yes, your experience mirrors my own. I spent a couple weeks this summer in "roaming only for data"-land. While voice and text worked, data was essentially unusable. I was initially worried we might hit the cap-- no chance. Since Data roaming this summer never worked properly, we never had data roaming even appear to work. For example, on our Sprint iPhone we couldn't even get the "weather" app to update. The only good news is that our account only showed about 12Kb of data roaming -- so no chance of hitting a data limit.

To me, if this is systemic, they've taken away data roaming entirely.

And like others (including on T-Mobile), our data roaming in Canada this summer was fast and usable... go figure.

-Dan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    Yes, your experience mirrors my own. I spent a couple weeks this summer in "roaming only for data"-land. While voice and text worked, data was essentially unusable. I was initially worried we might hit the cap-- no chance. Since Data roaming this summer never worked properly, we never had data roaming even appear to work. For example, on our Sprint iPhone we couldn't even get the "weather" app to update. The only good news is that our account only showed about 12Kb of data roaming -- so no chance of hitting a data limit.

To me, if this is systemic, they've taken away data roaming entirely.

And like others (including on T-Mobile), our data roaming in Canada this summer was fast and usable... go figure.

-Dan
    So here's what I was thinking: "I'll fight the system, I'll wear them out with calls and emails. "

I doesn't work, they are too big. They can out work you. I'm already on hold and I'm getting voicemails from Sprint people I've hung up on.

And then apparently they don't want to even look at the phone unless you have insurance.

I'm not giving up. I want an answer or availability to cancel the line or get a service credit. 1xtt slow data is fine with me, but I should have it while traveling.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well, I finally did get USCC LTE roaming, completely unexpectedly... Inside the Sunbirds store in Chehalis, WA. I pulled out my iPhone and noticed it said Extended LTE - - thinking maybe it was still clinging to Sprint LTE but had changed to 1x for voice on USCC, I checked the engineering screen and sure enough it had connected to Band 5 LTE.

So the capability is there...

Feedback Score
    UPDATE: after a replacement sim and an hour of my time with sprint- phone started roaming ....heck I'm roaming now...after turning On International roaming.

Go figure.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just another year-over-year followup. Went to lake billy chinook (cove pallisades campground) again. Same situation as years past. Well Verizon and Sprint both roam on US Cellular's unusable EVDO now. Sprint has for a long time, Verizon used to be 1x-only. Not that it matters.

I didn't spot any LTE roaming yet and not holding my breath. I believe others who have witnessed it, just haven't encountered any myself yet.

-Dan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4