Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LTE Roaming "officially live"

Feedback Score

LTE Roaming "officially live"

So Sprint has been expanding native LTE coverage heavily here, but today going to the coverage viewer it now shows LTE roaming, but the most exciting "LTE+ Roaming" which I assume is CCA partners counted as "native"..

Georgia and Alabama, parts of MS and FL will have a large amount of "native" LTE roaming on SMR by the iDEN carrier SouthernLINC Name:  Coverage 12:6:15 Sprint LTE Roaming.jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  67.8 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Very cool. The day has finally come. It's only two years later than I thought it would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Qualcomm iPhone 7:
    AT&T Unlimited Plus

iPad Pro 9.7:
    Verizon Unlimited

Rural Internet:
    Stand-alone AT&T Connected Car Unlimited ($20 a month!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Look at Austin TX area, map is messed up with blocks instead of realistic coverage.
    iPhone 7+ (Qualcomm) Georgetown, TX ........................... Spectrum 300/20, $94.99/month

Feedback Score
    Most of it isn't native so it counts against your 100/300mb roaming limit. Looking at those maps, Sprint has the best non-native coverage of any carriers now. Its like 80% Verizon and US Cellular, at which point I'd wonder what the heck I was paying for. They are wasting to much money on in-market roaming, its so dumb.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Most of it isn't native so it counts against your 100/300mb roaming limit. Looking at those maps, Sprint has the best non-native coverage of any carriers now. Its like 80% Verizon and US Cellular, at which point I'd wonder what the heck I was paying for. They are wasting to much money on in-market roaming, its so dumb.
    Go to USCC's site -- they are showing LTE roaming, and it's obvious it's Sprint's.

I have NO issue with in-market roaming -- especially when it's a situation such as this where it is completely reciprocal... USCC gets LTE for when their 5 million subscribers go into the cities, and Sprint gets LTE for when their users are in BFE. It probably balances out -- or at the very most is considerably cheaper than paying for it flat out.

One of the reasons I like Sprint is because I know if there's some signal from a CDMA carrier, chances are I will be able to get on it. Granted, I would love to see them expand their native coverage to the point where they don't need in-market roaming -- at which point I'd still hope they keep it active, but just not needed often because the network would be dense enough... that said, no two networks are exactly the same, and it's a good security layer.

Contrast this to T-Mobile, who controls roaming down to the tower level, and there are areas 100 miles wide in some places with "some" service (usually AT&T) that could be had -- but T-Mobile phones are stuck on "Emergency Calls Only".

Does anyone know which devices support the new LTE roaming? If I plug in my HTC One M9, Iphone 6 or iPhone 6S (the later of which absolutely supports all the bands) the LTE roaming information goes away... the only way I seem to see it is if I clear all device selections.

N

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    They are wasting to much money on in-market roaming, its so dumb.
    In my home state of Oregon (but I presume applies more generally), a Sprint phone has been able to roam on Verizon or US Cellular (1x- 2G) for at least 10 years. So there's nothing new about the in-market roaming potential. Some years back, Verizon had Sprint in their PRL so it was reciprocal but hasn't been that way for a few years. I mean Verizon no longer roams on Sprint in my market.

The only big change is if folks get LTE speed, they'll hit roaming limits faster. So that's a real concern. It would either drive Sprint to be slightly more generous with their limits or may be a pain point for customers who don't understand how this all works. For my family it's a good thing with no down-side. We never in-market roam. There's a few places we go that only US Cellular exists and it will be nice to have hopefully better data speeds when that occurs.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post

In my home state of Oregon (but I presume applies more generally), a Sprint phone has been able to roam on Verizon or US Cellular (1x- 2G) for at least 10 years. So there's nothing new about the in-market roaming potential. Some years back, Verizon had Sprint in their PRL so it was reciprocal but hasn't been that way for a few years. I mean Verizon no longer roams on Sprint in my market.

The only big change is if folks get LTE speed, they'll hit roaming limits faster. So that's a real concern. It would either drive Sprint to be slightly more generous with their limits or may be a pain point for customers who don't understand how this all works. For my family it's a good thing with no down-side. We never in-market roam. There's a few places we go that only US Cellular exists and it will be nice to have hopefully better data speeds when that occurs.

-Dan
    I remember very well when this came out - - it was in 2005 and was called the 'Free & Clear America' add-on and cost $5... I signed up the first day since prior to that, their roaming rates were like $.69/min. A few years later they raised their plan prices by 5 bucks and rolled the roaming into it.

This was launched with just Verizon, USCC and Alltel and they added more carriers over the years. Contrary to what a lot of people think, Sprint has had a Verizon roaming agreement from day 1--so the idea that "they only have a sweetheart Verizon deal due to Alltel" is purely false. They have had a Verizon deal in place for years - - and it must not be that horrible or they would restrict the roaming.

Someone somewhere figured out that as a customer base as a whole, roaming would come out to less than $5 per month per subscriber, and that was the price point they set it at.

The end result is that Sprint's roaming agreements are the most comprehensive in the US - - did this come at the expense on native coverage? Who knows... But I do know I can use my Sprint phone pretty much everywhere, even if the data isnt that fast.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    US Cellular's huge LTE footprint isn't part of LTE Roaming Plus? :-/
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Of course not! You didn't really think the VZ pretenders (aka US Cellular) would change their duopoly style ways did you?

Their plans for their own customers are tiered and just as uncompetitive as their duopoly counterparts.

If Sprint allowed unlimited roaming why would anyone choose USCC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't look that impressive at all.
    It's missing a lot of the USCC LTE footprint in the Northern New England area nor does it appear to be LTE Roaming+. It's also missing tons of potential roaming LTE coverage and native LTE coverage in Vermont. I'm not sure why Sprint hasn't appeared to gotten its act together in Vermont with its LTE network, and honestly I almost gave up on T-Mobile up in Vermont for LTE coverage and simply hoped for VoLTE/LTE roaming on VTel.

The issues related to the Canadian IBEZ should have been cleared already.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 12-06-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    I wouldn't expect it to be, based on USCC LTE roaming with S. USCC counts S LTE use as roaming with cap. It would be difficult to include it as on network as it would hurt USCC with USCC customers that switch to S but use/live in USCC areas and never leave USCC towers.

From the looks like it, it isn't a blanket LTE agreement but rather per area and perhaps per tower. S 3G appears favored even in LTE areas covered by USCC. So if there is any S signal, it would seem to show it is favored over faster LTE roaming.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Junkie View Post
    So Sprint has been expanding native LTE coverage heavily here, but today going to the coverage viewer it now shows LTE roaming, but the most exciting "LTE+ Roaming" which I assume is CCA partners counted as "native"..
    I believe LTE Roaming+ is coverage from Sprints own RRPP consortium while LTE Roaming is (mainly) coverage from the CCA Data Hub. Under the RRPP consortium wireless operators build their LTE networks to Sprint specifications under their own or with Sprints spectrum. The CCA Data Hub merely facilities the business transaction, the agreements and data traffic. With the CCA Data Hub you will still be paying market rates while with Sprint RRPP consortium operators are likely to have zero cost or significantly lower costs for LTE roaming compared to going through the CCA Data Hub.

The fact, that USCC LTE coverage isn't considered as LTE+ Roaming and the limited areas covered leads me to believe that this is coverage under the CCA Data Hub and very likely hasn't joined Sprints RRPP consortium.

In effect, Sprint activated two separate LTE roaming programs.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 12-06-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Junkie View Post

Georgia and Alabama, parts of MS and FL will have a large amount of "native" LTE roaming on SMR by the iDEN carrier SouthernLINC Name:  Coverage 12:6:15 Sprint LTE Roaming.jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  67.8 KB
    Cspire owns 700mhz in Alabama and most has a build out deadline of 12/13/16. so cspire could possibly cover the whole state of AL by then with a build out over the next 2 years. the 1st year meet the buildout requirements for the license and 2nd year make it better in all places. then southernlinc over lap coverage. to help with rural capacity.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    It doesn't look that impressive at all.
    It's missing a lot of the USCC LTE footprint in the Northern New England area nor does it appear to be LTE Roaming+. It's also missing tons of potential roaming LTE coverage and native LTE coverage in Vermont. I'm not sure why Sprint hasn't appeared to gotten its act together in Vermont with its LTE network, and honestly I almost gave up on T-Mobile up in Vermont for LTE coverage and simply hoped for VoLTE/LTE roaming on VTel.

The issues related to the Canadian IBEZ should have been cleared already.
    Someone will have to try it sometime in one of these areas... I think this may be full USCC LTE roaming, but Sprint used older maps... because these look like the USCC maps from 3 months ago. Looks like they added a few LTE areas in the NE and also the Washington coast -- but those don't show on Sprint's map (yet).

So I think it may just be an old map...

Other thing... the FAQ states there is no difference between the indicator for Roaming+ and Roaming. Especially in areas where there are multiple providers, there should be a difference -- lest someone be on Verizon rather than USCC and expect to be able to use their full amount of data (I know Verizon is lower on the PRL but still that isn't always exact in practice)... CDMA has had an "extended" flag built into the PRL since the beginning. Seems the Roaming+ should be marked as "Extended", Roaming should be marked as Roaming. I know Sprint never did this, but I know Verizon used to (Extended had a flashing triangle and no extra charge, Roaming was solid and an extra charge).

N

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post

-Dan
    I live in Bend, OR. and when traveling out to Burns for example, my phone roams onto US Cellular EVDO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast