Thread: Truphone vs Roam Mobility

Feedback Score

Truphone vs Roam Mobility

For my limited talk/text/data use while in the US, neither Roam Mobility nor Rogers Roam Like Home is cost-effective. My new recommendation is Truphone. Previously, Lycamobile had my vote but their new sims are not able to access pay go data. The older sims still do. However they can't be activated even if you could get them.
    Truphone is especially good if you're going to be in areas where TMobile coverage is spotty. Truphone defaults to the TMobile network but will connect to AT&T if there is no TMobile network. In fact, on an older iPhone 5 that is unable to connect to the TMobile frequency, the Truphone SIM works fine on AT&T exclusively.
    SIM was $30 but $15 of that is airtime credit. Talk/text/data is all $0.09 which is fine for those of us that use little while in the US. ($0.27/min talk to CDN numbers) Incoming calls and texts are free.
    Roams on Rogers while in Canada so you can maintain your balance by using your sim every 90 days ($0.40/min) even if you don't visit the US that often.
    I had the sim mailed to a US address. I'm not sure if they'd mail to Canada or not.
    These sims will also work in many other countries though I haven't had the opportunity to do so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Creete View Post
    Truphone defaults to the TMobile network but will connect to AT&T if there is no TMobile network.
    I believe I also corrected this in another thread. For some time now true phone has been defaulting to the AT&T network, and uses T Mobile only for backup service when that signal is a lot stronger than AT&T.
    For people unfamiliar with true phone, it cost $30 to get the sim, $15 of that is air time, inbound text and inbound voice is free, outbound is $0.09 per unit - including megabytes so don't use it for data! $0 monthly cost, and although the terms and conditions state that you are supposed to have a billable event every few months, in fact they keep your account active 4 apparently as long as a year without using it, and even if the account does stop working, apparently they will reactivate and restore your balance with just a phone call.
    You are able to get local numbers in I think eight different countries, 2 can be active at the same time on the same sin, quite a unique service for frequent travelers or people doing business in multiple countries

Feedback Score
    Thank you for clarifying re the default network. I wasn't aware of that change.
    And good to know about the usage requirements. This makes it even easier to maintain. Though I'd be fine with spending $0.40 every 90 days if necessary (which would be the cost of a 1 minute call while roaming in Canada).
    And yes, keeping data turned off and turning on and using only when necessary is crucial. At least it's there when we need it.

Feedback Score
    There are plenty of other low-cost services where data is as cheap as $10 per gigabyte, you just need to establish an American friendly address / identity to be able to use them easily.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    There are plenty of other low-cost services where data is as cheap as $10 per gigabyte, you just need to establish an American friendly address / identity to be able to use them easily.
    This sounds interesting. What is the expiry on the $10?

Feedback Score
    Depends on the provider of course in the case of AT&T per day plan, $1 hundred megabytes increments last 24 hours.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=16180312

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    I believe I also corrected this in another thread. For some time now true phone has been defaulting to the AT&T network, and uses T Mobile only for backup service when that signal is a lot stronger than AT&T.
    What a strange change, especially now that T-Mobile is deploying low-band for the first time, and their coverage is better than it's ever been. I was just travelling in rural Washington State and T-Mobile's coverage there now rivals AT&T, and I'm reading similar stories in other places. T-Mobile has even done broad "green field" LTE-only band 12 deployments in Northern Michigan in other places that they don't have high-band coverage. I wonder what the rationale is in preferring AT&T, as opposed to preferring T-Mobile and falling back to AT&T when necessary? Is T-Mobile raising their wholesale prices for MVNOs now that their coverage is improving?

For people unfamiliar with true phone, it cost $30 to get the sim, $15 of that is air time, inbound text and inbound voice is free, outbound is $0.09 per unit - including megabytes so don't use it for data! $0 monthly cost, and although the terms and conditions state that you are supposed to have a billable event every few months, in fact they keep your account active 4 apparently as long as a year without using it, and even if the account does stop working, apparently they will reactivate and restore your balance with just a phone call.
    You are able to get local numbers in I think eight different countries, 2 can be active at the same time on the same sin, quite a unique service for frequent travelers or people doing business in multiple countries
    Is inbound voice and SMS free in both Canada and the U.S.? If you can keep both a U.S. and Canadian number active at the same time, and if you can receive voice/SMS on both at no cost, then that's potentially strongly compelling. I have a dual-SIM handset so can have a data-only SIM in the other slot to avoid Truphone's high data rates.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    ...Is inbound voice and SMS free in both Canada and the U.S.?...
    No, only U.S. and the other Tru "home" countries. Canada isn't one of the "home" countries. They don't offer Canadian phone numbers either.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    No, only U.S. and the other Tru "home" countries. Canada isn't one of the "home" countries. They don't offer Canadian phone numbers either.
    Dang. Well, still. If your contacts all have unlimited U.S. calling and SMS, and you don't mind phoning people and asking them to phone you back, and you're staying somewhere where you're in WiFi most/all of the time, it could be an incredibly inexpensive solution. But if you have WiFi the whole time, you could just use Skype (or whatever) instead. Roam Mobility still rules the roost for people who need mobile data.

Since I have a dual-SIM handset, I might as well give them a try. If I'm gone for a week and it manages to save me a day or two of Roam Like Home use, then it'd be worth it for that alone. And unlike Roam Mobility, I don't have to commit to using it in advance if I am unsure of my usage.

Feedback Score
    I've added another Truphone SIM to our family's fold. I successfully had it mailed to Canada and activated it in Canada before leaving for the US. It took about 10 days or maybe even more, having come from the UK. I had my first Truphone SIM mailed to the US so I hadn't been sure about the Canada option. The US one had been mailed from the US if I recall correctly.
    The SIM will see about $5.00 USD of use over 2 weeks.