Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will basic phones every be popular again?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Will basic phones every be popular again?

Lately I've been reading more often about people pissed off at smart phones for different reasons. Do you guys think basic phones such as flip phones will ever come back, such as vinyl records in the music industry?
    Nothing special...

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    I don't think they will ever be as popular as they used to be, but there have been several articles lately that talk about the rise of basic or flip phone use by millenials and others.

Several "high profile" folks have been spotted using them, and this has apparently inspired some younger people and "hipsters" to give them a try.

I'm currently using a flip phone. Every few months, I take a self - imposed smartphone hiatus when I feel overwhelmed at work or when I just want to disconnect a bit.
    Self-professed gadget geek, serial phone-tryer-outer.
    iOS, Android, BB10, Windows...it's all good.

Currently?
    Main lines:
    Iphone SE x2, Samsung J7: TMO Select Market Family Match
    Iphone 5s Tracfone

How many active SIMs does one person need?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The main reason I'm using my iPhone is because I need to tether my 4g connection sometimes in public places where their wifi isn't reliable. If only basic phones could tether a 4g connection...

Feedback Score
    My Mom uses a slider with a qwerty as her everyday phone for talk and text but she has a big 5 inch screen Android phone for goofing around on.

She prefers a real keyboard for texting so that's why she still uses the slider.

I use a flip on Ringplus just because it's small and LOUD and I can just shove it in any small pocket.
    But my main phones are big smart phones, Androids and Windows Phones.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post

I use a flip on Ringplus just because it's small and LOUD and I can just shove it in any small pocket.
    But my main phones are big smart phones, Androids and Windows Phones.

Exactly why I love my flip phone. I can just throw it in a pocket and be done with it. :-)

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    As an aside, my 13 year old son was watching a Japanese teen drama on Crunchyroll a couple of days ago. Everyone was using flip phones. Yes, they had touch screens and such, but he was MESMERIZED. He asked me why and I told him that flip phones are still quite popular in Japan. I think the fact that young people were shown using them made them seem not-quite-as-backward-and-awful as he had previously thought. Who knows if today's kids will make a serious play for them again. I doubt it, though. My 17 year old has a turntable and vinyl records. They are more of a hobby to her than her primary means of listening to music. I think the same might eventually be said of flip phones with today's kids. Some may just pick one up and use it for the "retro" factor.

Feedback Score
    There was a flip phone that to this day I am still mad at myself for not buying when T-Mobile had them on their site.

The LG dLite.
    https://youtu.be/mNe5K9P445o

That phone was so cool and I'd rock that phone daily if I had it.
    I met a woman at a garage sale who had one and I got severe phone envy.
    We were talking about cell phones as I always ask at garage sales if they have any cell phones for sale.
    She wasn't selling it but we were talking about T-Mobile phones and she whips this little beauty out of her pocket and says her kids think she should upgrade to a smart phone but she said she loves her phone and jokingly calls it her Hello Kitty phone because it's cute and pink.
    My jaw dropped and I told her my sorry tale about not buying that phone when I had the chance and it was the one that got away...

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    There was a flip phone that to this day I am still mad at myself for not buying when T-Mobile had them on their site.

The LG dLite.
    https://youtu.be/mNe5K9P445o

That phone was so cool and I'd rock that phone daily if I had it.
    I met a woman at a garage sale who had one and I got severe phone envy.
    We were talking about cell phones as I always ask at garage sales if they have any cell phones for sale.
    She wasn't selling it but we were talking about T-Mobile phones and she whips this little beauty out of her pocket and says her kids think she should upgrade to a smart phone but she said she loves her phone and jokingly calls it her Hello Kitty phone because it's cute and pink.
    My jaw dropped and I told her my sorry tale about not buying that phone when I had the chance and it was the one that got away...

OK --- that phone is CUTE. I don't blame you for wanting one.

Feedback Score
    It really is!!

And the phone does so much more with the lights and special effects with the lights.

I do have my dream phone, the Nokia Lumia 1020 and I absolutely love it but this LG dLite is the only phone I still pine away for.

Quote Originally Posted by stessT View Post
    OK --- that phone is CUTE. I don't blame you for wanting one.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Maybe, as the large population of "boomers" age and become less physically and mentally capable, the smartphones will become just too frustrating and they will revert to simpler devices, with large, tactile keys and high-contrast displays.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    With manufacturers forcing ever-larger smartphones on us I could see going back to a flip phone. The main thing I would miss would be email. My job requires me to monitor email at all times and I find that also doing so for my personal email takes stress off since I don't have to wade through a day's worth of email after work. I know some people find email stressful, but I prefer to chip away at it gradually as it comes in rather than let it pile up. So if someone comes up with a flip that runs on all the networks and can reliably and quickly do email I might be there. Yes, I know many flips have a crude email gateway but try using it for any length of time!

Feedback Score
    Wow that LG is popular most of them are going for 300 on eBay crazy! This one might be more reasonable http://m.ebay.com/itm/LG-dLite-GD570...-/262212367190

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Wow that LG is popular most of them are going for 300 on eBay crazy! This one might be more reasonable http://m.ebay.com/itm/LG-dLite-GD570...-/262212367190
    The sad thing is that I could have bought it from the T-Mobile website for $39.99 a few years ago but I was waiting for them to toss in a free airtime card like they did frequently back then.
    I really want it but not for the crazy prices they are selling for.
    Oh for the use of a time machine....

Feedback Score
    One of the coolest things about basic phones was that you could easily run all weekend without a charge, and I had some phones that could do a week easily. Nice when you go on vacation to not always be searching for an outlet.

Feedback Score
    The sad thing is that I could have bought it from the T-Mobile website for $39.99 a few years ago but I was waiting for them to toss in a free airtime card like they did frequently back then.
    I really want it but not for the crazy prices they are selling for.
    Oh for the use of a time machine....

Oh well, it's just money if you want it that bad just give up on something else for a while and you can indulge your passion. Use eBay sniping tools, set up an automated search at a lower price point, a bit of time and energy you should be able to get a decent deal.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast