Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will basic phones every be popular again?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stessT View Post
    Curious what gives you the idea that it's an Android phone? "Proprietary non-touch" to me means Kyocera's own basic flip phone software. You'd think if it were Android, they'd be very keen to point that out.
    The 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage made me think Android. From this "hands on" review I just found, turns out I'm correct. It's a stripped down version of 5.1.1. They imply it can be a hotspot, but you can't install apps. And you can use it as a spoon to drink your beer. $270.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2497451,00.asp

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sun728 View Post
    The 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage made me think Android. From this "hands on" review I just found, turns out I'm correct. It's a stripped down version of 5.1.1. They imply it can be a hotspot, but you can't install apps. And you can use it as a spoon to drink your beer. $270.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2497451,00.asp
    Thanks for the link! The $270 is a bit steep for my needs/use case. My $5 Samsung M400 works fine for me. Lol
    Self-professed gadget geek, serial phone-tryer-outer.
    iOS, Android, BB10, Windows...it's all good.

Currently?
    Main lines:
    Iphone SE x2, Samsung J7: TMO Select Market Family Match
    Iphone 5s Tracfone

How many active SIMs does one person need?

Device(s)
    galaxy s6 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    quality assurance manager
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion with the come of VR, phones will get smarter, will have more sensors, will feature better hardware, and especially will have better and better screens.

I now have a 2k screen on my s6 edge and use a Gear VR.... it's already amazing.
    But, in order to see full HD through the VR headset, the phone screen resolution would have to be 8K... imagine that - a smartphone with a screen resolution of 8K.

I'm betting that s7 will have 4k, so no, people will never get back to basic phones.

Device(s)
    Moto G3, Moto G4 Play, LG Gpad X
    Carrier(s)
    Expo Mobile, Tracfone (AT&T), Tello, AT&T Unlimited Data Pass
    Feedback Score
    I set up my basic flip phone, the Sprint Dura XT on EcoMobile on its $5 per month Paygo plan and like it very much. I carry 3 phones on me at all times and one of them is my Sprint Dura XT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I set up my basic flip phone, the Sprint Dura XT on EcoMobile on its $5 per month Paygo plan and like it very much. I carry 3 phones on me at all times and one of them is my Sprint Dura XT.
    Yeah I carry three phones most of the time as well.

A Windows Phone and an Android and a flip phone.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Device(s)
    Moto G3, Moto G4 Play, LG Gpad X
    Carrier(s)
    Expo Mobile, Tracfone (AT&T), Tello, AT&T Unlimited Data Pass
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Yeah I carry three phones most of the time as well.

A Windows Phone and an Android and a flip phone.

Actually, if I include my Netgear Zing Mobile Hotspot, I carry around 4 devices. One is a Ring Plus Phone (either my HTC Desire 626s or my Huwaei Union), one is a simless phone with HangOuts on it (either my LG G2 (usually), ZTE Axon, or Moto X (first generation) and my new 3G Moto G from Verizon Wireless (on Selectel). Once in a while I'll take my refurbished ZTE Valet that I bought from Page Plus for $19.99 with an included 4GB micro sd card. The Valet is tiny (3.5 inch screen) and only has 4GB ROM, 512MB RAM. It gets great reception and crystal clear voice calling. I never touched any other button outside of the call (or phone) button. And I certainly haven't downloaded any other app to the phone. It is super light. It has only been 2 weeks, but so far I have only experienced bliss with the Valet.
    I bought an unlocked Lumia 640 from AT&T, but don't use it much. I put my T-Mobile sim in it and it has all the money on it from the $30 I spent from Terrares. Last I checked, it still has $33 on it. I bought a $5 and $10 Data Pass on it, which worked fine. I have used it mostly as a test phone. It only gets one bar in my house while my LG G2 gets 4-5 consistent bars from Ptel. Both phones have the same T-Mobile bands (no band 12).

Feedback Score
    Sheesh--one reason to get a basic phone is to carry less crap around, not more. That's one reason it is hard to get away from a smartphone. If you find the right phone it covers for a tablet, a camera, even a computer, and is small enough to fit in a pocket, sit on your desk at work, etc. One problem for many of us too is that our jobs now require us to be in constant contact via email and text, and to use certain apps regularly. Hard to get away from a smartphone for most of us.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stessT View Post
    OK --- that phone is CUTE. I don't blame you for wanting one.
    Well I finally got one in pink which is the one I have been wanting for so long.

Found one on eBay for a reasonable price in pretty good condition.
    It works great and the signal strength is very good and call quality is exceptional.

It really is very cute!!

I'm pleased.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Well I finally got one in pink which is the one I have been wanting for so long.

Found one on eBay for a reasonable price in pretty good condition.
    It works great and the signal strength is very good and call quality is exceptional.

It really is very cute!!

I'm pleased.

Wanted to thank ya'll for discovering and sharing this phone! My mom insists on a flip and I have no problem with that, but finding a good model has led us to Sprint-land which means no family plans as the rest of us a GSM types. If it came in gold or there were cases it would help, buy I think we might try this anyway to see if it's solid and functional. The buttons have to have good size and feel, the speaker has to be loud and clear. The log form factor helps. Also an easy UI helps.

Hope you have time for a short review?

Thanks again!

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I have seen some information on an Ericsson basic GSM 900-1800 phone. It had something like a one month standby time and could recharge other USB devices. I think it was intended for the 3rd-World market.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    Wanted to thank ya'll for discovering and sharing this phone! My mom insists on a flip and I have no problem with that, but finding a good model has led us to Sprint-land which means no family plans as the rest of us a GSM types. If it came in gold or there were cases it would help, buy I think we might try this anyway to see if it's solid and functional. The buttons have to have good size and feel, the speaker has to be loud and clear. The log form factor helps. Also an easy UI helps.

Hope you have time for a short review?

Thanks again!
    This phone only comes in pink, blue and grey. The pink and blue models have a white interior and the grey has a black interior.
    The buttons are of a good size and are easy to use. I like the back button because it's easy to use.
    It is a very simple phone to use.
    It is 3G so it won't be obsolete soon.
    The reception is great. I live in an area where T-Mobile is strong. Sound quality on mine is excellent and speaker phone is very good. I use speaker phone almost exclusively so that is important to me.
    I did see a snap on plastic case for this phone on eBay that is kind of cute with flowers on it. The one I bought came with a snap on case but I removed it because I like the phone as is with the pink look.
    I did find trying to remove the snap on case almost impossible and I was worried that I would break the phone but I managed to remove it and as difficult as that was made me not want to use another snap on case.

This phone is solid and very functional.
    A very easy learning curve.
    If your Mom likes flip phones she will more than likely find this one easy to use and she will probably like the way it looks as well.
    I'm very pleased with the phone and I have a lot of phones.
    Mostly smartphones but I've wanted this phone for a long time.

Sent from my Dainty Little Moto E

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the info! I'll post back if we get one.

Feedback Score
    My Kyocera dura xv is now one year old, has always worked great, the speakers are EXCELLENT very loud, waterproof was a big selling point because I do a lot of motorcycle riding.
    As far as basic phones becoming popular again well I think there are a lot more basic phones than many folks realize , smart phone are a lot more profitable so the carriers try a lot harder to sell them.
    A year or two ago there was talk of Apple coming out with a flip phone but as far as I know that never happened.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I have a iPhone 6s Plus 128 gig. I love it and I practically live on it. However when at the pool or the beach I put it in a secure place and use my Motorola barrage 3G on vzw. It is mil spec. Great signal, extended battery, will go 2 wks on a charge, is 3G not 4g only use it for voice and receive text.

It is with my Gv so when I get messages on my iPhone in the car etc I will get them transcribed and sent to the flip phone.

I have it on page plus for dirt cheap. When driving (don't like to use a phone ) but when I do , like if I see a crash etc I will call for help on it. I have a google voice number that I forward to it.

WHEN great smartphones cost close to a thousand dollars, the cheap flip phones certainly have a place again!!

It is not always appropriate to have a thousand dollar phone on your person.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Device(s)
    samsung galaxy Luna
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i bought a $14 bar phone on straight talk with Verizon service. It is the LG 109C and I love it. So simple, unbeatable, long battery. Doesn't have a camera and Internet is pretty worthless on it but if you love basic phones this is perfect

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast