Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Will basic phones every be popular again?

Feedback Score
    Do any flip phones currently support US 4g and/or LTE service?

As networks discontinue 2g and 3g service, will flip phones be viable on 4g networks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post

As networks discontinue 2g and 3g service, will flip phones be viable on 4g networks?
    This Tracfone flip Android uses LTE.
    I'm not interested in this one but I did check out the specs.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/ZTE-C...-price_id87364

It's a lot too dump trucky looking for my tastes.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

See post #58 in this same thread.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Do any flip phones currently support US 4g and/or LTE ?
    My Kyocera DuraXE supports both 4G & LTE ... And it also has WiFi w/hotspot feature for tethering as well as tethering over usb (windows only after usb drivers are installed) & bluetooth tethering :-)
    I chose this one because it has 4G LTE and I can tether it .. I got away with iOS & Android ..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by -banned- View Post
    My Kyocera DuraXE supports both 4G & LTE ... And it also has WiFi w/hotspot feature for tethering as well as tethering over usb (windows only after usb drivers are installed) & bluetooth tethering :-)
    I chose this one because it has 4G LTE and I can tether it .. I got away with iOS & Android ..
    How long has that phone been available ? Would the hotspot feature also work wireless ? I happen to use a Dura XV but it's on Verizon it has no hotspot or 4G features

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stessT View Post
    I don't think they will ever be as popular as they used to be, but there have been several articles lately that talk about the rise of basic or flip phone use by millenials and others.

Several "high profile" folks have been spotted using them, and this has apparently inspired some younger people and "hipsters" to give them a try.

I'm currently using a flip phone. Every few months, I take a self - imposed smartphone hiatus when I feel overwhelmed at work or when I just want to disconnect a bit.
    totally agree with you in fact im also thinking of buying a flip phone..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    The Nokia 6350 is a great little flip phone.
    It's 3G.
    Takes a memory card up to 16GBs.
    2MP camera.
    It's very sturdy.
    And it's RED.
    ahh the Nokia 6350.. I have one, great phone, I was able to tether 30-40gb per month on that phone... Those were the days, my problem was the screen went out on it, purchased a used on on eBay and I cannot tether it...
    Don't know why but it won't allow me to tether it, I have tried 2 laptops, both iPads and nothing, it will not accept, not sure why but it won't let me tether, the only thing I can come up with is maybe a software update was done on the phone and it removed the tethering option...
    Both laptops and both iPads still have my original 6350 stored in there because I used that phone to tether internet so I know it worked.. But this used one from eBay will not let me tether... I really liked that phone and wanted to use it but I can't because I need a phone I can tether for Internet at work ....
    ------ No cell phone, No Tablet, No internet, No Computer, No Facebook ------
    -------------------- HOW LONG WILL YOU LAST -----------------------
    The Problem With Government:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ZPvqkzqeg
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think for themselves to see the lies & deception brought to them for a false reality

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    How long has that phone been available ? Would the hotspot feature also work wireless ? I happen to use a Dura XV but it's on Verizon it has no hotspot or 4G features
    The sprint and Verizon version of the dura do not support wifi or hotspot.. ONLY the duraXE from att offers wifi with data hotspot and you can tether over Bluetooth ... And this phone has 4G with LTE, and I have pulled 45M download speeds on this phone, att still sells then but they are expensive, your better off buying a new or used one on eBay where I got mine from for $150
    I don't know why Kyocera put all he good features into the att model duraXE and left the Verizon and sprint models with nothing ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezabell View Post
    totally agree with you in fact im also thinking of buying a flip phone..
    there are a few things i will miss about my 4S. My 4S has an outdated iOS, i cannot update it or it will run even slower than what it is now, all my apps have locked me out until i update my iOS which i cannot, so newer apps wont happen... I am being forced to buy a NEW phone or a used NEWER phone that may be a few yrs old that can still run on iOS 10... But that will cost be about $~300... I paid $150 for my iPhone 4S back 6 yrs ago under contract price which ATT does not do anymore, now the phone must be purchased at price either per month or out right. $25 per month for 3 yrs = a $900 phone... HELL NO i will NOT pay $900 for a cell phone... NEVER... I am not cheap, i am not broke (yet), i am not poor (yet), i just REFUSE to pay $900 for a cell phone... I refuse to pay over $300 for a cell phone... I am not one of those people that are addicted to their cell phone that cannot go without it for more than 5 minutes before they start having withdraws .. They know who they are that have their face BURIED into their smartphone every 5 minutes on facebook and all that social media JUNK.. Everywhere i go people have their faces buried into their phone and their kids face buried into a tablet AT DINNER... JUST SAD...
    Cellular phones were originally designed to make and receive phone calls... Now they have added texting, internet browers, camera, video, GPS, blah blah blah... Too much crap in them and people have allowed themselves to get addicted to these things... Let alone to mention your privacy has been completely revoked by using on of these..
    I got a basic flip phone to get away from all that garbage... I do NOT need to be connected to the world 24/7, i dont need GPS tracking my every move every second of the day, i dont want att or whomever to activate my phone to listen in and see where im at..
    My flip phone does NOT have GPS... its not Android or iOS, its a basic proprietary operating system. I even called ATT and told them that my phone was stolen and i needed them to locate it and they told me my phone does not have GPS and they cannot track it was good as lost... I was happy :-)
    So, yes i like my old school flip phone.... not connected to the world (in that way)

Feedback Score
    When you bought that iPhone 4 six years ago under contract, AT&T built into your monthly price an extra $25/month that you effectively paid them back for that phone over your 24 month contract.

Feedback Score
    I've been using a LG-VX5600 for the last 3 years that I bought at a flea market for $3. Put it on Page Plus. $30 a year.
    Whenever it rings, flip it open, and connect. Never misses.
    Have 3 smart phones. Record is about 3 times out of 5 connecting when I get a call. Always something explainable caused it. Have to wake them up to answer, etc.
    So I never leave home without the flip phone in my pocket, use the smart phone for calling out and apps.

Feedback Score
    When you bought that iPhone 4 six years ago under contract, AT&T built into your monthly price an extra $25/month that you effectively paid them back for that phone over your 24 month contract.
    Yes but the difference is i did NOT see that physical price added to my account where i could see it every month like they do now.. Yes they built in the price of the phone into the bill but i did not see it so it was hidden in a way. The only thing i saw on my bill was my rate plan at $20 per month, texting at $10 per month and data at $15 per month... SO yes somewhere within that bill they added in the cost of the phone but luckily for me i didnt see it so i was ok.

Feedback Score
    It's like a good old hard copy books you can always go back and read an earlier page for miss. And can easy read it out of order when have read through the first time you can't do that with a e-book so easy.

Device(s)
    Samsung A157v
    Feedback Score
    Everyone thinks basic phones are dying but in my opinion the big problem is they're often budget junk that makes them unappealing to use.

How do we know basic phones can succeed? Simple - look at the overwhelming response for the new Nokia 3310. There are even poor souls on eBay importing them from europe probably unaware of the GSM channel difference in EU and NA. Heck, I triple checked online to make sure they weren't before doing that myself.

i know a lot of people - smartphone users and lovers - who don't want to replace their smartphone with it but have the 3310 as a phone only on the side.

A lot of people avoid calling on the smartphone too because it tends to suck and be unreliable as others have said. If people have to put up with an all in one package for long enough that doesn't do everything great, they'll go back to devices that do that one job great...

With the resurgence in popularity of cheap but good MP3 players as well, we could definitely be going back to a world where people carry a feature phone and MP3 player again...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5