Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded Tracfone BYOP 'Could not activate cellular data network'

Feedback Score
    I wish I did know someone with another Verizon iPhone, but I don't. I may try freaking out a few people I don't know that well by asking.
    I'd love to say I'm absolutely sure it's a Verizon - I'm pretty darn sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhat View Post
    I wish I did know someone with another Verizon iPhone, but I don't. I may try freaking out a few people I don't know that well by asking.
    Gingerhat,

Please post the full model # of your phone so that we can research it.

And also verify the first five digits of the SIM #, 89148 is Verizon and 89014 is AT&T.

Feedback Score
    You can't tell by looking at it. They are exactly the same hardware (I have both).

Did you buy it new?

Feedback Score
    Lesson here for others:

1. Don't buy the SIM from TF. Get a kit from Amazon or Walmart. (Have one *before* you try to activate your phone.)

2. Don't call TF to activate your phone. Use the website or use chat.

These were standard advice when we first did 4G LTE BYOP. Looks like they should still be followed.

Feedback Score
    Penn462, here's the model number - we already went over the sim number which corresponds to Verizon.
    ME347LL/A
    Thanks again folks - can't tell you how much I appreciate all the time and effort.
    (Did not buy it new - I know that will open up a firestorm, but I am very sure there was no attempt at subterfuge in the sale of this phone. I cannot keep up with the research necessary these days, so the fault lies with me in things like not knowing about getting my own sim and not one from Tracfone. More than likely, had I gone with another carrier there wouldn't be a problem. )

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It's really hard to troubleshoot issues like this on TF and their poor CSRs don't know what to do. They follow a script and it's not great. They will say everything is OK because they can't see enough to know.

Being able to verify it works on Verizon can help push them to try something else.

Feedback Score
    Penn462, here's the model number - we already went over the sim number which corresponds to Verizon.
    ME347LL/A
    Just double-checking. The model number corresponds to Verizon, so with the SIM also verified as Tracfone CDMA, we can rule out any carrier mis-match.

Thanks again folks - can't tell you how much I appreciate all the time and effort.
    (Did not buy it new - I know that will open up a firestorm, but I am very sure there was no attempt at subterfuge in the sale of this phone. I cannot keep up with the research necessary these days, so the fault lies with me in things like not knowing about getting my own sim and not one from Tracfone. More than likely, had I gone with another carrier there wouldn't be a problem. )
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that the /A at the end of the model number signifies a warranty replacement phone, but I can't be positive about that. Maybe someone else can verify? But, in any event, that related to an IMEI not being in VZW's database. May or may not have any bearing to this discussion.

I think we're back to seeing if swapping the SIM with another phone has any effect.

Feedback Score
    @OP buying used is great. I highly recommend it.

A couple of questions: have you done a network reset?

Do you have contact with the previous owner? Can you ask him what network he used the phone on?

I am thinking that it was previously on an AT&T system (yes, you can use a Verizon iPhone 5s on AT&T) and this confused Apple and you were sent APN settings for TF GSM.

Feedback Score
    I truly think the Tracfone CSR's are great. The abuse they take is probably mind boggling, so I always try to treat them with respect whether they're helping me or not.
    I have done a network reset. Repeatedly with the CSR's.
    I will try to contact the former owner and ask about the carrier. He did say it was Verizon, but perhaps he knows a bit more detail than that and can tell me if it was used on AT&T.
    As always, thanks to everyone!

Feedback Score
    I truly think the Tracfone CSR's are great. The abuse they take is probably mind boggling, so I always try to treat them with respect whether they're helping me or not.
    I'm not blaming the CSR. They don't get enough training. They work with Straight Talk and Net 10 as well. It's easy for them to make a mistake.

I'd much rather type in MEID and SIM card numbers myself than read it over the phone.

I think your next step is to buy a SIM kit from TF, activate a new Verizon SIM (use fake MEID with last digit changed) and see if that gives you Verizon settings. If that doesn't work, try to activate the GSM SIM and see if that's any better.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    The previous settings does not matter. I've had tmobile, Verizon, ATT, Tracfone both Verizon and ATT on my Iphone.

Never use a sim Tracfone sends you. Like has been suggested, get another kit and try a new sim. Or go ahead and use the gsm sim in the kit if ATT works in your area. Do this from the web.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    The previous settings does not matter. I've had tmobile, Verizon, ATT, Tracfone both Verizon and ATT on my Iphone.
    Are all iFruit models equally capable of being on activated on all those carriers? I thought it depended on the model #?

Never use a sim Tracfone sends you. Like has been suggested, get another kit and try a new sim. Or go ahead and use the gsm sim in the kit if ATT works in your area. Do this from the web.
    What is wrong with using the SIM TF sends you if it's the correct type? Any rational behind that?

I agree with just doing the activation yourself using the TF website, or use chat if you need TF help.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score

Previous settings, shouldn't matter, but something is messed up on the phone. He has a Verizon model, a Verizon SIM. When he dials *777*1# he hears a Verizon message. So, why are his settings on the iPhone looking like it's connected to AT&T??? (These are the "TFW" in the menu bar and the Carrier entry in Settings -> General -> About.)

I've swapped different carrier's SIM cards into my iPhones without any problems. One time I put in a Verizon SIM in a locked AT&T iPhone, it just says "No Service". So, that's not even the symptoms.

Feedback Score
    I'm quite sure there was a thread recently where an iPhone on BYOP CDMA displayed "TFW", so it was determined that seeing that doesn't imply GSM anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Are all iFruit models equally capable of being on activated on all those carriers? I thought it depended on the model #?
    It depends on which iPhone. You'd have to check the details. I think it is something like:

iPhone 4: have to use carrier-specific model

iPhone 4s: can use Verizon on AT&T but not the other way around

iPhone 5/5s: not sure about these. Can definitely use Verizon on AT&T but have read conflicting reports on the other direction.

iPhone 6/6s: supposedly all the models are the same.

Oh, Sprint models are always weird.

What is wrong with using the SIM TF sends you if it's the correct type? Any rational behind that?
    Our early experience is that if the CSR sends you a SIM, that SIM gets entered into the system with your MEID. (This was back before GSM BYOP, so have no idea if this is applicable to GSM SIM.) If they screw it up, you will have a hard time using another SIM with the same MEID, because it's already in their system. You can ask them for another SIM, but that takes a while and they might screw it up again. At least early on, people who activated their phones all at once with SIM in hand had much better experiences than people who call in their MEID and waited for a SIM to arrive.

I agree with just doing the activation yourself using the TF website, or use chat if you need TF help.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast