Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded Tracfone BYOP 'Could not activate cellular data network'

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I'm quite sure there was a thread recently where an iPhone on BYOP CDMA displayed "TFW", so it was determined that seeing that doesn't imply GSM anymore.
    hpham linked it in post #10. I.ve mentioned it a few times.

Their end solution was having TF move the account to another SIM.
    I though the root problem there was TF trying to assign a new number to an old SIM (not inactive long enough),
    but that wouldn't explain the problems here.

Here they had a new SIM from a kit that had problems. TF sent a replacement, which is having similar problems.

Something is messed up for sure. I think it in the interface between TF and VZW. So TF sees everything as correct in their system, but something is wrong in VZW's system.

Transferring to the other SIM they have could fix it. And since they have a micro SIM from the kit that hasn't been used at all, that could be cut to nano size (if a local shop has a cutter and will do it).

Moving to another IMEI and SIM has a greater chance (what I did for Mike last year). I'm not super keen on fake IMEI's but that would be one route. No need for a new kit, just transfer the NAC to the new/fake IMEI along with the other SIM (first nano or the micro cut down).

I really wish there was another phone with a Verizon nano SIM available to test with first. Doesn't even have to be an iPhone.
    Just a source for a working nano SIM on Verizon's network (so any MVNO or Verizon proper) to test in the phone (and to test the problematic SIM in).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

I really wish there was another phone with a Verizon nano SIM available to test with first. Doesn't even have to be an iPhone.
    Just a source for a working nano SIM on Verizon's network (so any MVNO or Verizon proper) to test in the phone (and to test the problematic SIM in).
    I just had an occasion where my newly activated BYOP SIM CDMA would not work in my new Moto E 2nd Gen 2015. But when I decided to try it in my LG G4, it worked fine. Had I not had that G4 to test the SIM with, I would not have known the SIM was fine and would have kept suspecting it as being bad or thought something was wrong with Tracfone/Verizon .

For the rest of the story ........
    The Moto E would have probably worked fine out of the box, but I messed with it to get it to work on BYOP GSM, which it did. But then when I put the CDMA SIM in the Moto E, it would connect to Verizon for a maybe a minute, then disconnect.

I did some research, I found a post on XDA about a problem that was fixed using the Verizon SoftwareUpdateAssitant repair tool on it (I posted details in the Moto E $9.99 thread). I ran the SUA repair tool, and it fixed the problem . I had tried a factory reset before that without any luck.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    I'm not blaming the CSR. They don't get enough training. They work with Straight Talk and Net 10 as well. It's easy for them to make a mistake.

I'd much rather type in MEID and SIM card numbers myself than read it over the phone.

I think your next step is to buy a SIM kit from TF, activate a new Verizon SIM (use fake MEID with last digit changed) and see if that gives you Verizon settings. If that doesn't work, try to activate the GSM SIM and see if that's any better.
    Sorry if it seemed I was implying you were blaming anyone - I was actually agreeing that they are overworked and could easily make a mistake and are some pretty patient folks.
    Okay - let me see if I understand. Nope. I'm confused. The only time I've purchased a SIM from TF is when I got one to bring this phone to their network and they sent the SIM to me in the mail. Would that be exactly what you want me to avoid? Or can I get a Verizon SIM from TF without doing that - and then you're saying activate online with the fake MEID to see if that solves the problem?
    Sorry I'm not following completely, but I don't want to string you all along through any misunderstandings.
    Thanks,
    Ginger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I'm quite sure there was a thread recently where an iPhone on BYOP CDMA displayed "TFW", so it was determined that seeing that doesn't imply GSM anymore.
    Hmmm didn't know that. Next most suspicious thing is the amount of time it takes to connect to the network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhat View Post
    Sorry if it seemed I was implying you were blaming anyone - I was actually agreeing that they are overworked and could easily make a mistake and are some pretty patient folks.
    Okay - let me see if I understand. Nope. I'm confused. The only time I've purchased a SIM from TF is when I got one to bring this phone to their network and they sent the SIM to me in the mail. Would that be exactly what you want me to avoid? Or can I get a Verizon SIM from TF without doing that - and then you're saying activate online with the fake MEID to see if that solves the problem?
    Sorry I'm not following completely, but I don't want to string you all along through any misunderstandings.
    Thanks,
    Ginger
    You can buy a Tracfone SIM kit from Amazon or Wal-Mart.

The easiest test is to activate the GSM SIM from that kit with a minimal amount of airtime. The $10 30day card if you can get that to work. Then put the SIM in your phone and see if that works. If it does, your phone is functional on AT&T.

Next test, use the Verizon nano SIM. Activate it on the TF website but when they ask you for the MEID, use the one from your iPhone, but change the last digit to something else. You'll have to use the NAC from the kit, unless you transfer your current number.

If that works, then you know the problem is that your first SIM is messed up somehow.

If neither works, then it might be your phone.

Feedback Score
    Looks like Amazon is sold out. Here's the Wal-Mart link:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-B...n-Kit/46170866

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Awesome. Thanks to you all. The order is in and we'll see what happens when I get the card/s. Won't be until next Tuesday, but I'll try to update and let you know what happened. In the meantime... WiFi!
    Ginger

Feedback Score
    Folks, could you tell me something - got the kit with the SIM and was going to go ahead with the activation, but I had a thought. If the new SIM does work how can I get my old number, minutes, data, etc and the new SIM and phone all synced up again?
    Thanks,
    Ginger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhat View Post
    Folks, could you tell me something - got the kit with the SIM and was going to go ahead with the activation, but I had a thought. If the new SIM does work how can I get my old number, minutes, data, etc and the new SIM and phone all synced up again?
    Thanks,
    Ginger
    Explain again what you are trying to do please.

In general, it sounds like you want to move/transfer service from one SIM/phone/phone # to another SIM/phone and keep the phone # and buckets.

Feedback Score
    Well, the point might be to find out if the SIM in the phone now is the problem with accessing the 'net through cellular data by activating a new SIM and testing it in the phone. What I'm wondering is if I do find out the SIM is the problem, can I keep my number and all the associated minutes, data, etc, and somehow transfer to the new SIM or if I'm going to have to go back and argue with Tracfone about the SIMs they're sending me... . I'm not tech-savvy enough to probably know all the questions I need to ask or understand the ramifications. Since I'll be using a fake MEID number I would imagine that would cause problems with 'keeping' the new SIM? ???
    Ginger

Feedback Score
    Is your phone + the SIM CDMA or GSM? If it's GSM, no fake MEID/IMEI required, as they don't ask for the serial #.

What I would do is transfer everything from the old SIM/phone# to the new SIM ...... that means all buckets, service days, and phone # will go to new SIM - does that sound logical?

I'm still not 100% sure what's going on, but that's what I would do if you want to rule out old SIM.

Feedback Score
    It's CDMA - it's already registered with Tracfone and I believe the other forum members were trying to rule out Tracfone's possibly incorrect registration of the phone by activating a SIM that had nothing to do with the existing phone. Then I'd try the newly activated and unattached card to see if the problem was, indeed, with Tracfone's classification/registration of my phone and therefore, their SIMs, or my phone. If I transfer everything, it would probably defeat the purpose. Now, the new SIM kit was so inexpensive that it would be well worth it to me to try it and toss if if need be. I'm just wondering what to do if I find out that the old SIM is the problem; go back to Tracfone or do something with the new SIM or what?

Feedback Score
    I assume both new and old SIMs are CDMA. So if you don't want to involve Tracfone CSRs, create an fake new IMEI for the new SIM, then transfer from old SIM/phone # to new fake IMEI/new SIM. Like you said, it's cheap enough to try whatever later if this simple transfer all to new SIM does not work.

If the new SIM works and everything got transferred from the old SIM (phone #, buckets, service days), burn the old SIM and move on with life .

Feedback Score
    Well. Can't activate with my MEID and changing the last number. No number will work. Any ideas?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast