Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded Tracfone BYOP 'Could not activate cellular data network'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhat View Post
    Well. Can't activate with my MEID and changing the last number. No number will work. Any ideas?
    Do you seen an IMEI #? The MEID is probably in HEX right (has letters in it)? You can only change the last digit if it's in IMEI format.

See this: https://www.cpureport.com/imei-meid/

Find a MEID converted where you enter your MEID and it spits out the IMEI, then change the last digit of the IMEI and enter that in during the Tracfone process.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Actually, the MEID is all numerals. So is the IMEI, though it's one digit longer. Anyway, I changed the last numeral of the MEID and had no luck with any number I changed that last digit to.

Feedback Score
    Actually, the MEID is all numerals. So is the IMEI, though it's one digit longer. Anyway, I changed the last numeral of the MEID and had no luck with any number I changed that last digit to.
    You want to use the IMEI and change it's last digit! That should work . Forget the MEID for now, use the IMEI with last digit changed.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I'll give it a go.

Feedback Score
    Got through all the chaos - thanks, tfusr19, the IMEI worked - and it looked bad at first. Got a message that said 'a data connection is not currently allowed' and it didn't seem to be incorrect. After checking a few things, I decided to give that Safari screen a try and 'poof!' connected to the web. So it seems the SIM was the problem after all.
    Now, in the experience you all have had, do I try to get Tracfone to transfer everything to the new SIM or what? Really, really! don't want to change my number and sure don't want to lose all my accumulated minutes and stuff, but I'm afraid of trying to get a replacement SIM from Tracfone. Any recommendations?
    Thanks again,
    Ginger

Feedback Score
    Ugh, I don't understand what your situation is.

How many SIMs do you have and what phone #/service do they correspond with?

I thought you were going to transfer everything from your bad SIM/phone account to the new SIM, and that would be the end of it if it worked - and it the new SIM worked, so I don't get it.

Feedback Score
    Nope, like I said, we didn't want to transfer anything through Tracfone until we knew what the issue was - phone or SIM. So I have the original account with the SIM that gave me so much grief and now the activated SIM for the fake IMEI. Now I need to find a way to keep all my minutes, etc, and the original phone #, but with a working SIM. If I have to discard the new SIM I will, but I am going to have to get rid of the old SIM one way or another as it seems to be the problem. I don't know enough about how the system works to know if they can change the phone # on the new SIM or if I'll need to contact them with a new SIM in hand to accomplish all that.

Feedback Score
    Easiest way.......
    1. Create another fake IMEI for another new SIM and add this fake IMEI final to your account. You might have to buy a NAC to add this third SIM.

2. Transfer from your original account/bad SIM (the one you want to keep) to the IMEI final /third new SIM account.

3. The 2nd new SIM you already activated will just be there and wither away unless you use it up first.

So doing it above way, you don't need to involve Tracfone CS. Make sense?
    Last edited by tfusr19; 01-16-2016 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    Yes, I was thinking that might be the route I'd have to take. I don't know enough about this to know what's possible or not. I don't know how much programming/control lies with the SIM and how much with the carrier, so I don't know if Tracfone pairing up a SIM I supply with the phone I have registered with them will be a problem because I'd really like to get away from the fake numbers for the sake of my record keeping and any future problems.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How did you activate the new SIM and use data with it without a transfer? Did you use a time card? Does the new SIM a new phone number?

Feedback Score
    Yes, I used an airtime card and got a new phone number as if it was a totally new phone with the fake IMEI.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I used an airtime card and got a new phone number as if it was a totally new phone with the fake IMEI.
    I don't know if you can just transfer everything from your original account tied to the bad SIM card to a third new SIM card yourself without another fake IMEI. You might have to contact Tracfone to do that, but worth trying on the website yourself first. Remember to do a transfer and not another new activation.

You could also do this if you have an extra two unused SIMs and want to cut Tracfone CSR out of the loop.:

* Transfer original account/bad SIM to SIM3/fake IMEI2.
    * Wait 24 hours
    * Transfer SIM3/IMEI2 to SIM4/real IMEI.

Then you can sleep better as your SIM/IMEI will be all real.

Feedback Score
    Not all that worried about the fake numbers - it's the keeping track of said numbers. Everybody wants reams of info and numbers these days; keeping track of NOT the one you can check on the phone at a moments notice would just be a pain. Not insurmountable - just a pain.

Feedback Score
    The Tracfone website will keep Tracfone of it for you, but I understand your point .... So let us know how you finally this the way you want it.

Feedback Score
    Will do and can't thank you all enough.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast