Thread: Roam Mobility price increase

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Roam Mobility price increase

Roam has increased prices of their daily plans by $1. This is a bad deal for the (now) $2.95 Text & Data plan, and a bad deal for the (now) $3.95 Talk & Text plan. But it's not a bad deal for the (now) $4.95 Talk/Text/Data plan as that plan goes from 400MB to 500MB per day. So it's about a 25% price increase, but also a 25% data increase too. Given they pay out USD to T-Mobile, but charge customers in CAD, they had to do something with the sharp decline in the Canadian dollar, and this is the least-bad change they could have made IMO. Especially since most alternative options are priced in USD so they've effectively gone up hugely.

Sent from my Windows Phone
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Further thoughts. It may be hard for Roam when they're the same price (well, five cents cheaper) than Roam Like Home and Roam Better. Roam both offers more in some ways, like a 24 hour period (unlike Bell) and a separate data bucket (unlike Rogers). But RLH and RB offer use of your Canadian number, potential cost savings to your contacts (no need to call/text a U.S. number), no need to unlock your phone, and no need to maintain your roaming eligibility if years pass between trips (Roam Mobility requires a top up at least once annually). A key advantage of RLH and RB is access to both T-Mobile and AT&T's networks. The last couple of trips I used both Roam Like Home and Roam Mobility, alternating between them daily depending on where I was and what I was doing. Am I as likely to use both now?

I wonder if this will become an excuse for Rogers and Bell to raise rates closer to Telus' Easy Roam?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    A further note, the data-only plans have gone up too. Though why you'd care when you can usually get a better deal by doing the Talk/Text/Data plan, I can't say. The monthly "Snowbird" plans were previously overhauled and haven't been changed this time around.

Carrier(s)
    Bell, T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I subscribed to Roam Mobility last Sept, because the price was attractive

Now, compared to my current provider, Bell, when I travel for less than 14 days, I don't save enough to justify using RM.

Even my T-Mobile Prepaid account now looks more interesting

I do understand the situation with our dollar, my work involves dealing with US, but, knowing the cost of Mobile in US, I'm pretty sure there's ways to keep the cost lower for us...

Anyway, again, with the exchange, we'll need to do more calculation before going on the other side of the border!!!
    I used over the last 25 years more than 200 different phones, from Nortel to Nokia, from Siemens to Samsung, from Motorola to LG. And I tried all the big providers in Canada and USA.
    I love Mobile Technology!

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by michel-2000 View Post
    Now, compared to my current provider, Bell, when I travel for less than 14 days, I don't save enough to justify using RM.

Even my T-Mobile Prepaid account now looks more interesting

I do understand the situation with our dollar, my work involves dealing with US, but, knowing the cost of Mobile in US, I'm pretty sure there's ways to keep the cost lower for us...

How is your T-Mobile account now interesting than before now? Three officer if that has effectively gone up 40% in the most couple of years (after exchange). Roam had gone up 25%, but given you 25% more data. They're cheaper than most American MVNOs.

For Bell's "Roam Better" to compete, I take it that you don't use much data (because Roam Mobility offers 5x more per day for the same price)?

Fundamentally, though, I think I agree. Roam Mobility is no longer trying to save you money (unless you're a Telus customer, or on a grandparented Rogers/Bell plan). They're instead trying to offer more value for the same price. The problem is that there are different kinds of value. More data is one kind. Using your Canadian number is another. Access to both T-Mobile and AT&T is a third. Not having to unlock your device is a fourth. Not having to figure out your roaming needs in advance is a fifth (you might user it some days, and not others, or not be certain of your return date). Roam used to offer more AND cost less, enough to outweigh the other considerations for many people. Now they only offer more data, and as a Roam Like Home customer with data to spare that doesn't even help me much. It's definitely a tougher sell for some people now.

Carrier(s)
    Bell, T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    How is your T-Mobile account now interesting than before now? Three officer if that has effectively gone up 40% in the most couple of years (after exchange). Roam had gone up 25%, but given you 25% more data. They're cheaper than most American MVNOs.
    Here's how I calculated it:
    Basic Fee
    3$/month = 36$US -> 50$CDN
    Data
    10$/week x 2 = 20$US -> 28$CDN

78$CDN / 14 days (my normal vacation time in US) = 5.50$ per day

4.95$ for RM + TX = approx 5.25$

So the saving now is not very important for my usage, as I need more the data than SMS or Voice...and the fact that I have more than 60$ is ''prepaid amount'' on my T-Mo account, that I bought before our dollar dropped, does help too!

As you mentioned, now, all options are pretty close to each other when you do the calculation....you gotta to check what you need and what is offered!

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is the Massive Data really necessary? When I go to the USA. Personally, I don't use my phone any different than when at home.. And with Wind Mobile. The $15 To use my number for a month, Is only 3 days with Roam now. Which is my usual USA jaunt. Anything longer is a bonus. If I go down for a day, I just PPU. Which last time cost me under $2. And I no longer have to switch the sim. For the few time a year I go down. I'm good. I've never gone over the 1GB/month I'm allowed, Even my Data hungry Snap Chatting/Texting Daughter. So I think I will let my 2 roam sims expire, I won't be renewing them.

They will have to broaden their markets, going global maybe even with slow unlimited data.

What I'm truely hoping for is a T-mobile style system with Wind, Or Roam. I would 'suffer' along with 128kb if it was cheap, to just keep my texting and email/bbm while away. With options to increase your speed or bucket. I'm on holidays. The phone doesn't need to be the 'focus'. Sorry Roam, While I used you in the past, The Bigger carriers are slowly making you irrelevant.

Just my opinion!

D..

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DavesBB View Post
    Is the Massive Data really necessary? When I go to the USA. Personally, I don't use my phone any different than when at home..
    I do tend to use more data when I'm travelling than when I'm home. That's true whether I'm travelling in the U.S. or travelling in Canada. At home, last I took the time to check "Data Sense" on my phone reported that 89% of my phone's data use is in WiFi. When roaming, I rarely enjoy WiFi that frequently. I agree that the massive data allotment isn't really necessary, I was happy with the old allotment, but I nonetheless do seem to need more mobile data when not in my home area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+ FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I wish they had made changes to their enhanced coverage. I want to do a 30 day trip. 2 days down and 2 days return I would need the enhanced coverage. I was told I had to add the enhanced coverage for the whole 30 days. I wanted to purchase 2 days coverage with enhanced (for the trip south), then 26 days regular talk, text and data and then 2 days with enhanced (for the trip home). I feel Roam lied when they said it can't be done. I guess I should have just ordered it and tried anyways but I ordered an ATT sim and bought 30 days service for $60. Roam needs to offer what people need and help them instead of lying and chasing them away.

Just out of curiosity, could they refuse to offer me the 2 days, 26 days and 2 days the way I wanted it?
    FIDO Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbusguy View Post
    I wish they had made changes to their enhanced coverage. I want to do a 30 day trip. 2 days down and 2 days return I would need the enhanced coverage. I was told I had to add the enhanced coverage for the whole 30 days. I wanted to purchase 2 days coverage with enhanced (for the trip south), then 26 days regular talk, text and data and then 2 days with enhanced (for the trip home). I feel Roam lied when they said it can't be done. I guess I should have just ordered it and tried anyways but I ordered an ATT sim and bought 30 days service for $60. Roam needs to offer what people need and help them instead of lying and chasing them away.

Just out of curiosity, could they refuse to offer me the 2 days, 26 days and 2 days the way I wanted it?
    If you ordered two sims, then they could not refuse you. You would have two different phone numbers. I was not aware that roam has two types of sims. I only seen 1 type in retail stores.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Or, You could of added 2 days with enhanced, then 26 days regular, then 2 days enhanced again, Back, to Back, To Back. Just a little planning on the setup. Use the WebPage.

D.