Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BLU Life One X 2016 - User thoughts, tips and tricks

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score

BLU Life One X 2016 - User thoughts, tips and tricks

Anyone using the BLU Life One X 2016 that can share tips and tricks to improve phone performance and battery life?

I can't find much out there in terms of user feedback and support for the Life One X 2016 other than Amazon reviews and paid user reviews on youtube. Other models of this phone include Wiko Fever 4G and Micromax Canvas 5 sold outside USA.

Maybe this thread will get some traction so people can share tips and tricks to improve performance and fix known bugs.

It seems the biggest complaints on amazon deal with battery drainage/charging, custom ringtones, proximity sensor. and external speaker quality. Honestly, my battery seems to perform well but I'm not a heavy user. Plus I removed/disabled all apps that I don't use including all those pesky Google apps. Charging time is reasonable using the included 1A charger. It seems to charge about 1% per 2 minutes. Custom ringtones do not work on my phone. Proximity sensor seems to work fine on my phone.

Has anyone been able to access MTK engineering mode to play around with speaker volume settings?

Has anyone installed the OTA V14 update released on 1/27/2016? Kudos to BLU for releasing an update so quickly. Hopefully it won't create any new bugs.
    Last edited by bmwfreak; 01-30-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    I started using a Blu Life One X about 3 weeks ago. I'm fairly happy with it, but I haven't tested all the features.

I am able to use custom ring tones on my phone.

A question I have pertains to the included leather case. That little window has the time and a music player. Anyone have any idea if you can change what is on that little window?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdsmit1 View Post
    A question I have pertains to the included leather case. That little window has the time and a music player. Anyone have any idea if you can change what is on that little window?
    I don't know if that is possible. I actually don't use the included flip cover case so I have turned off the Leather sheath option under Accessibility settings.

I use a TPU clear case designed for Wiko Fever 4G that I picked up on ebay. I also use a Disagu screen protector for Wiko Fever 4G that I got on Amazon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    I read a lot of reviews about the display waking up during a phone call which can cause your ear or cheek to hang up on the call or press other keypad functions.

I've test my phone and found that my proximity sensor works properly while on a call. The problem is with the Smart Awake setting. If this is turned on (in order to double tap the screen on), it overrides the proximity sensor. During a call, if your cheek double taps the screen it will wake the display during a call even when the proximity sensor is covered. In my opinion, this is a defect in the software. The Smart Awake feature (double tap) should not override the proximity sensor during a call. I'm hoping BLU will fix this with an update. I believe they have the smart awake feature working properly on their new Vivo XL.

My custom ringtones are working after the recent update, but I had to create a new custom audio profile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    I've been using this phone as my daily driver for past 2 months. Here are some tips that I've learned.

1. Download and install the update. It's advertised to fix battery issues and custom ringtones. V14

2. To use custom ringtones, download and update your phone to BLU V14, place song file in Ringtones folder on phone storage. Create a new audio profile. Sound & noticication/press setting menu top right (3 vertical dots)/add audio profile and save/now press settings (gear) for newly created profile/select your song file. This has worked for me.

3. Slow battery charging. It was suggested to use the included charger. Any other charger may cause extremely slow charging. Also it was recommended by others to use the BLU charging brick, but using a different USB cable to charge may reduce charging time. I can usually charge my phone from 0% to 100% in about 3 hours this way.

4. After a full charge, I do these steps to improve battery life.
    -wipe cache. press and hold power button. reboot. during reboot hold volume up/down + power button. Select recovery mode. volume up. When you see android robot No command, press power button. Volume down to wipe cache partition. select by volume up. Reboot system now. After reboot, toggle power saving off/on under battery settings and display settings. Not sure all of this is necessary, but I do it out of habit now after reading other forums.

5. APN/MMS problems. I found that I needed to edit the default APN to send/receive MMS. I first tried to add a second APN and select the new APN to use, but MMS still would not work. After I edited the default APN it worked. You simply have to press the default APN (not the selection dot) and then press the field you want to edit. Make sure to save the changes by pressing the 3 vertical dots upper right and choose save. To access APN go to settings/more/cellular networks/access point names

6. Proximity Sensor problems. I've read lots of complaints of the display waking up during a call which then causes your cheek to make unwanted selections like hangin up on the call. It seems the problem lies with the Smart Awake double tap feature that wakes the display. If Smart Awake is turned on, it overrides the proximity sensor when on a call. Your cheek can act as a double tap and wake the display. When Smart Awake is off, this does not happen. I leave Smart Awake off and never have a problem with the display waking up duing a call. I hope BLU will fix this problem with an OTA update.

7. Cases and Screen Protectors. I use a TPU case designed for Wiko Fever 4G. This helps protect the volume and power buttons (which are being reported to fall off). I also use a Disagu screen protector designed for Wiko Fever 4G. It is basically the same size as the included screen protector but also protects the top of the earpiece/camera area which the included screen protector does not. Since the display has a beveled edge, basic film screen protectors can't go to the edge because they won't stay down. This is a bit annoying because I can see the screen protector border about 1mm inside the LCD display edge on a light background. I can also feel the screen protector edge when scrolling. Not a huge deal, just wish the screen protector was made about 1mm wider. I have purchased some other screen protectors for the Life One X 2016 from ebay, but they appear to be too wide and go all the way to the edge. I haven't installed them yet, but believe they won't stay down over the bevel.

I will add more tips as I think of them.

Feedback Score
    I am having a problem getting custom ringtones to work. This is a new phone and the custom build version already shows V14 (09-11-2015). I put my mp3 file into the Ringtones folder on the phone storage, rather than microSD location (although list of ringtones available suggests it can read what I have on microSD card too). I created a new audio profile as suggested and setup the ringtone to use my mp3 file which it lists and plays when selecting it. I ensured that the new audio profile is selected and confirmed that it still shows the ringtone I selected . Did phone reboot just in case but calls still only play those tones which came with the phone and not those which I have tried adding.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by absunshine99 View Post
    I am having a problem getting custom ringtones to work. This is a new phone and the custom build version already shows V14 (09-11-2015). I put my mp3 file into the Ringtones folder on the phone storage, rather than microSD location (although list of ringtones available suggests it can read what I have on microSD card too). I created a new audio profile as suggested and setup the ringtone to use my mp3 file which it lists and plays when selecting it. I ensured that the new audio profile is selected and confirmed that it still shows the ringtone I selected . Did phone reboot just in case but calls still only play those tones which came with the phone and not those which I have tried adding.
    This is strange. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe place your mp3 file in a ringtone folder on your sd card also.

Your phone is acting like mine did before the update.

Maybe try a factory reset and check for update again.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Found some videos on how to disassemble the Blu Life One X 2016 (actually the Wiko Fever 4G which is the same phone).

Display replacement
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoVa6L5yTb4

Internal Battery Replacement
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJW1UvSx8-Q

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score

BLU Life One X 2016 - User thoughts, tips and tricks

Does this phone have an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust screen brightness?

Also, I see it has band 12 listed but is it capable of VOLTE? It's been an issue and T-Mobile actually requested that some manufacturers disable it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Does this phone have an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust screen brightness?

Also, I see it has band 12 listed but is it capable of VOLTE? It's been an issue and T-Mobile actually requested that some manufacturers disable it.
    Yes it has a setting under Display for Adaptive brightness. I just tested it in a room by turning the light on and off and it does adjust the display brightness automatically. I usually leave it off and just set the display to about 25%. I rarely have to adjust the brightness greater than 25%. It's a very bright display. Actually the 5.2 inch 1080P display on this phone is amazing in my opinion. It's hard to believe I only paid $99 for this phone on Amazon when first launched.

Yes to LTE Band 12 from what I've read, but no VoLTE. I've read people are able to get T-Mobile data on LTE band 12, but the phone will revert to 4G for calls. This is bad news if you are in a T-Mobile service area that only deploys LTE Band 12 with no other 3G or 2G network. I'm on Cricket (no VoLTE) so my phone reverts to 4G when I make or receive calls as expected. Now whether T-mobile will force BLU to remove Band 12 is unknown.

The BLU Life One X is listed on the page below.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Yes it has a setting under Display for Adaptive brightness. I just tested it in a room by turning the light on and off and it does adjust the display brightness automatically. I usually leave it off and just set the display to about 25%. I rarely have to adjust the brightness greater than 25%. It's a very bright display.

Yes to LTE Band 12 from what I've read, but no VoLTE. I've read people are able to get T-Mobile data on LTE band 12, but the phone will revert to 4G for calls. This is bad news if you are in a T-Mobile service area that only deploys LTE Band 12 with no other 3G or 2G network. I'm on Cricket......
    Thank you for the great reply.

Without VOLTE on B12 it's not going to do me (or others for that matter) much good that need the phone to make/receive calls when only getting a B12 signal.

Since you're on Cricket, are you able to tether with it?
    I was able to with my Moto X 2014 pure edition before Cricket offered it as a paid option.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Since you're on Cricket, are you able to tether with it?
    I was able to with my Moto X 2014 pure edition before Cricket offered it as a paid option.
    The device has Android 5.1 and it does hotspot on Cricket. I haven't tried the USB tether or Blutooth tether, but the WiFi Hotspot does work. One of the main reasons I kept the phone. If it didn't work on Cricket, then I would have returned it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    One other really nice feature on the BLU Life One X 2016 is the ability to install apps directly on the sd card. I'm not sure if this is a native feature to 5.1 or exclusive to BLU firmware. Under settings/storage, the first option is "Preferred install location - Change the preferred installation location for new apps". When you press this option, a menu pops up that allows you to select three options. 1. Internal device storage 2. SD card 3. Let the system decide.

There's also another setting "Default write disk" with the option to select Phone storage or SD card. I have this selected to SD card so anything other than apps that get downloaded or pictures I take or save from MMS get saved to my sd card.

Another interesting thing is when you install a SD card, it assigns the sd card as "sdcard0" and the internal storage as "sdcard1". When you remove the sd card, it reverts the internal storage back to "sdcard0". Maybe this is how it allows app to be installed directly to the sd card since it assigns "sdcard0" to the sd card. Almost like it's tricking the app into thinking it's being installed on internal storage. I found that interesting but maybe that is normal behavior for 5.1.

The only negative about sd card is that the device only reads FAT32. So this limits individual files size to 4GB. Not ideal for people with large Movie files. It won't read exFAT from what I've read.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Blu Life One X 2016, Wiko Fever 4G, Micromax Canvas 5

Headphone jack confusion.

The headphone jack on this device has been driving me crazy. It seems to work fine with all the various earbuds that I have, both 2 ring and 3 ring headsets including a set of Apple iPhone 5s earbuds. When using the iphone earbuds, I can control the play/pause button and skip ahead by pressing twice. The Mic works properly for hands free calling. I can't control the volume +/- but that is to be expected since Apple uses proprietary software to control volume through its headset that is not compatible with Android.

The problem that I have is when I try to connect the device to my AUX input of my car stereo using a standard cable. It sounds terrible. I did not have this problem with my Moto G. I've done lots of internet research on this problem and it does not seem limited to BLU devices. I've read the same complaints using certain Samsung and LG devices. Some report static, popping, and low volume. This is leading people to believe their headphone jacks in the device are defective.

There are basically two standards in headphone jack design, CTIA and OMTP. The only difference between the two standards are the location of the Mic and Ground position on the 3.5mm plug. The plugs are referred to 3 ring or 4 pole connectors. Meaning they have 4 leads and typically called TRRS plugs for (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve). CTIA places the Mic position on the sleeve and the ground position on the ring. The left audio is on the Tip and the right audio is on the first ring next to the tip. OMTP standard places the Mic on the 2nd ring and the ground on the sleeve. That much I understand and it makes sense. Given that the iphone earbuds work with my device, I assume it uses the CTIA standard since apples uses CTIA.

http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/un...d-audio-jacks/

It seems most of the newer android phones are using CTIA standard. Apple is using CTIA. Older devices and newer chinese makers may still use OMTP. If you use a standard 2 ring (3 pole) connector as your cable into the AUX you are creating a short circuit between the mic and ground lead. I believe this is what is causing the problem when inserting into my car stereo using a standard 2 ring (3 pole) cable.

How to fix the problem. I purchased a cheap mic/audio splitter. This basically takes a 4 pole plug and divides it into separate audio and mic inputs. This eliminates the short circuit between the mic and ground leads when using a regular 3 pole (left, right, ground) cable. In theory this SHOULD work. Nope it did not work. Why?

I found evidence from BLU that the device actually uses OMTP jack. Okay this might explain why my splitter did not work because what should be the ground is actually the mic. Remember the difference between OMTP and CTIA, the mic and ground locations are switched.

Second try. I actually rewired my splitter and swapped the wires for the mic and ground leads. So now my splitter is set up for OMTP instead of CTIA. This can also be accomplished by purchasing a CTIA to OMTP adapter sold on ebay for cheap.

NOW IT WORKS PERFECTLY. I basically eliminated the short circuit between the mic and ground leads and have the ground on the sleeve as it should be. I suppose some devices can handle this short circuit and others can not. This might be why my Moto G works fine without the splitter. I've also read that some phones can actually detect the input as OMTP or CTIA and use software to make the conversion. Maybe this is true, but I don't expect a budget phone to have this feature.

Whether my BLU device is actually OMTP I don't fully understand. If it was OMTP as my rewired adapter with ground on the sleeve would suggest, I don't understand how the iphone earbud's microphone can work properly because the Mic lead of the earbuds would actually connect to the phone's ground, not the mic. Call me very confused!

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This phone has been stuck in a reboot loop for 12+ hours.

The battery is at 0% which I know is a major issue. The problem is getting it to charge w/o trying to boot which is using more power than it's taking in.

I'm using the factory cable. I can't find the original charging brick but I am using one that historically works very well for this phone (1.6A). I've also tried a 2.1A charger with the same results.

It will start to boot, then show "optimizing apps" which will run for a minute or two, generally only making it through 10% of apps before rebooting.

I can press all three buttons and hold for thirty seconds to get to a text screen that says "Recovery Mode: Volume Up Factory Mode: Volume Down"

Pressing Up reboots.

Pressing Down also reboots.

(I think I was getting further with those before so maybe I had slightly more battery at that time?)

Pressing and holding down & power: reboot. Brief flash of a recovery screen (blue menu of text on black background) then it reboots.

Pressing and holding up & power: reboot. Brief flash of the android with the stomach open recovery screen then it reboots.

Mainly my problem boils down to this: how do I get it to STFU and keep the screen off long enough to charge? I can take out all 87 screws and pull the battery but I don't think that will help. Once I put it back in and plug it in I'll be back in this loop.

Suggestions? (Further complicating matters this phone took a bath recently from a sprint through the rain in a backpack so the warranty is shot.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast