Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon band 5 deployment

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Another question: Can Band 5 be deployed as "wideband," i.e. 15+15 MHz or 20+20 MHz? Or are the different parts of the 850 MHz band non-contiguous to the point that it's impossible?

I can imagine Verizon freeing up 850 MHz pretty quickly if they push a mandatory carrier update that makes VoLTE the default. Just look at T-Mobile. VoLTE is already 40% of their voice calls because they made it default.
    I am not sure if they could do that. I know in areas where AT&T owns all the 850, they launched 10x10 for B5 along with 10x10 of B17 in 700mhz. I am surprised VZW hasn't jumped on the opportunity to fill up all that low band.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Another question: Can Band 5 be deployed as "wideband," i.e. 15+15 MHz or 20+20 MHz? Or are the different parts of the 850 MHz band non-contiguous to the point that it's impossible?
    According to Wikipedia, band 5 can be deployed as 1.4, 3, 5 or 10 MHz. You'd have to own both cellular licenses in a market to even consider wider, if it would work.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Sadly, the last few months a bunch of people must have cleared onto VoLTE as my 1x calls have actually been bearable as of late.

the LTE still kind of sucks during the day but that's not the point. I've opted to leave my VoLTE off since the LTE is just "weak enough" around my neighborhood in the Biltmore to cause dropped calls around my condo.

I really do hope they put LTE on either the A or B bock of 850MHz as it would make a great deal of difference here. They can just leave Band 2 and 1/2 of Band 5 for 1x/EvDO
    Interesting, I haven't noted anything different when I use my mom's phone and I live off Central/Northern. It works fine but 1X calls aren't super clear and her GS3 only has band 13 obviously so the speeds are slooooow.

Yeah, that whole biltmore area isn't good on any carrier I've used going through it. Very spotty on any phone that I can recall.

They really need to shut down most of the 1X and EVDO - way too much live at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    According to Wikipedia, band 5 can be deployed as 1.4, 3, 5 or 10 MHz. You'd have to own both cellular licenses in a market to even consider wider, if it would work.
    I'd imagine if the specs called for only 10mhz, that's the best they can do. VZW and ATT both have many markets where they've acquired all the 850 CLR, so they both could launch at least 15mhz if they wanted.

Has either VZW or ATT launched a 1.4mhz carrier in the guard channels or are they just keeping with using that for GSM and/or 1X?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Most likely you will only see a 5 or 10 MHz carrier deployed for B5 LTE on Verizon, at least for quite a while. Over on the HoFo AT&T threads, 10 MHz B5 LTE has already been spotted.
    Last edited by 10mm; 02-05-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Moving back to Pocatello, ID in 2018
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Google Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    U.S. Cellular is using Band 5 for LTE here, as well as Band 12, I bet Verizon gets LTE here on 5 eventually. In our CMA, RSA 344, USCC and Verizon own the 850, with USCC on the A side, and Verizon on the B side.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Band 5 live in Louisville

Hey guys.

Not sure if anyone else has posted about B5 being active, but we now have a 5 MHz slice live on several sites in Louisville. I haven't seen it part of 3CA yet but I assume it is coming.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Hey guys.

Not sure if anyone else has posted about B5 being active, but we now have a 5 MHz slice live on several sites in Louisville. I haven't seen it part of 3CA yet but I assume it is coming.

Awesome!!!
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys.

Good to see you back on here! Been a while since you last posted. B5 has been spotted on the iPhone but your pic is the first sighting on Sammy Service Mode AFAIK. Awesome!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys.

Nice to see you back!! I'm hoping we see B5 up here this year, B2 has just been refarmed within the last month from EVDO but have yet to see any B2 LTE live. For all I know the sites I've seen them working on are getting B5 and B2 added.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Good to see you back on here! Been a while since you last posted. B5 has been spotted on the iPhone but your pic is the first sighting on Sammy Service Mode AFAIK. Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Nice to see you back!! I'm hoping we see B5 up here this year, B2 has just been refarmed within the last month from EVDO but have yet to see any B2 LTE live. For all I know the sites I've seen them working on are getting B5 and B2 added.
    Thanks! It's great to log back in and see familiar people around like you guys! I miss this place. I am glad to be back.

We have no B2 in the city proper at all. They went straight to B5 from B4! Weird right? In the county NE of here, they have B2 deployed, which I find interesting considering VZW has the same spectrum holdings there as they do here.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! It's great to log back in and see familiar people around like you guys! I miss this place. I am glad to be back.

We have no B2 in the city proper at all. They went straight to B5 from B4! Weird right? In the county NE of here, they have B2 deployed, which I find interesting considering VZW has the same spectrum holdings there as they do here.
    Hmmmm that is strange. With B5 popping up there and probably in other places, Verizon should be rolling out an update to enable B5 CA pairings on Samsung devices I would imagine.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Hmmmm that is strange. With B5 popping up there and probably in other places, Verizon should be rolling out an update to enable B5 CA pairings on Samsung devices I would imagine.
    I hope so!

Maybe the reason they skipped B2 is because they're going to move all CDMA operations to 1900 because our grid is so dense. Then they scale that B5 to a 10x10. Who knows.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    I hope so!

Maybe the reason they skipped B2 is because they're going to move all CDMA operations to 1900 because our grid is so dense. Then they scale that B5 to a 10x10. Who knows.
    That would make sense.

Funny, there are a few small towns in northern Michigan where Verizon is running B13, (2) B4 carriers, and B2 LTE. They definitely aren't sitting on their spectrum.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon band 5 deployment

I hope so!

I suppose that's possible if the CDMA grid is dense. Our CDMA grid is not dense at all, in fact I suspect they've taken two CDMA sites offline in lieu of LTE-Only on one, and a metrocell on another. The suspected CDMA sites were interesting panel setups that I can't quite figure out (maybe you could have a look at pics of them sometime and see if you can tell what was going on with them)

Our last remaining EVDO channels are just 850 now and in my suburban area all the sites had it on 1900 while just a few have it on 850 so refarming PCS effectively thinned out EVDO coverage for us. Up in the city I think every CDMA site has 850 EVDO so no change there.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys.

Exciting stuff. Great to see you back here.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast