Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon band 5 deployment

Feedback Score
    EvDO is indeed losing capacity, probably about half of what it was 3 years ago. To my understanding most EvDO is in PCS with 1X being on 850. PCS refarming is not complete to my understanding., 850 is likely last in most markets, but there will be a 1X carrier for some time.

Feedback Score

Verizon band 5 deployment

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_S4 View Post
    EvDO is indeed losing capacity, probably about half of what it was 3 years ago. To my understanding most EvDO is in PCS with 1X being on 850. PCS refarming is not complete to my understanding., 850 is likely last in most markets, but there will be a 1X carrier for some time.
    I honestly hope they keep a sliver of 1x for good. It's just too darn reliable and our hofo members said they can make calls in the mountains of the west where LTE can't reach. Once 850 LTE is fully deployed they can still keep a 1.25 MHz channel of 1x.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I honestly hope they keep a sliver of 1x for good. It's just too darn reliable and our hofo members said they can make calls in the mountains of the west where LTE can't reach. Once 850 LTE is fully deployed they can still keep a 1.25 MHz channel of 1x.
    In most markets they have slices of 1x that small but they will be reserved for other devices likely security systems or On Star type stuff until those can be replaced down the road. My guess is within a year you'll start to see phones being sold without CDMA radios and Verizon will require all new devices CDMAless no later than Jan 2019.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunya_Bizness View Post
    In most markets they have slices of 1x that small but they will be reserved for other devices likely security systems or On Star type stuff until those can be replaced down the road. My guess is within a year you'll start to see phones being sold without CDMA radios and Verizon will require all new devices CDMAless no later than Jan 2019.
    I want to see if Verizon can truly get Vollte nationwide to be as reliable as their 1x network. I use them and enjoy them , but call me skeptical.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Hey guys.

Not sure if anyone else has posted about B5 being active, but we now have a 5 MHz slice live on several sites in Louisville. I haven't seen it part of 3CA yet but I assume it is coming.

Definitely map that on Cellmapper..curious to see the sector number they are using. Have the GCIs of the site from the SignalCheck app?

Feedback Score
    Yes, probably one 1x channel will be preserved, 1x data call attempts are almost certainly going up due to simple devices like security alarms, water meters and the like. I suspect the 1x network will still be around after the end of 2019, mainly to maintain these data devices. This would be subject to contract requirements I suspect.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_S4 View Post
    Yes, probably one 1x channel will be preserved, 1x data call attempts are almost certainly going up due to simple devices like security alarms, water meters and the like. I suspect the 1x network will still be around after the end of 2019, mainly to maintain these data devices. This would be subject to contract requirements I suspect.
    In my area Verizon has 824-835 MHz and 869-880 MHz for 1x that they'll eventually convert to LTE. But they also own 845-846.5 MHz and 890-891.5 MHz that they'll still use for the data services you mentioned.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is a really interesting thread. I'm interested in learning more about Band 5 LTE deployments in comparison to Band 12 in terms of propagation and density depending on how Big Red decides to go about it. Good read.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    This is a really interesting thread. I'm interested in learning more about Band 5 LTE deployments in comparison to Band 12 in terms of propagation and density depending on how Big Red decides to go about it. Good read.
    I have noticed in Salt Lake city Utah that Verizon is upgrading cell sites aggressively with new antennas and more RRUs. I haven't seen band 2 or 5 yet using discovery lte app. Have anyone else have found band 2 or 5 in Utah?

Sent from my SM-G925V using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charles2001 View Post
    I have noticed in Salt Lake city Utah that Verizon is upgrading cell sites aggressively with new antennas and more RRUs. I haven't seen band 2 or 5 yet using discovery lte app. Have anyone else have found band 2 or 5 in Utah?

Sent from my SM-G925V using HoFo mobile app
    You probably won't see it show up in LTE Discovery or SignalCheck as no one has posted the pattern of the sectors yet that I know of.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A slice of B5 LTE (UARFCN 2454 -- pretty positive its 10x10, although the linked speedtest doesn't show it) has been live in Durham, NC for a month or two (in addition to Band 13, 4 (UARFCNs 2100 and 2225), and 2 (UARFCN 1125). Verizon owns both cellular licenses here after the Alltel acquisition. There's still lots of 850mhz EV-DO and judging by the UARFCN of the B2 LTE, there should still be quite a bit of EV-DO on PCS too, although I've never personally connected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    In my apartment, I seem to connect to B5 more often than B13 but I'm not sure if this is because of propagation characteristics or load balancing between different carriers.

EDIT: Just remember I already posted about this in the LTE speedtest thread and had a much better speedtest http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post16750443
    Last edited by greg5green; 01-02-2017 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Link to old post

Device(s)
    htc hero
    Feedback Score
    Does any one know if Phoenix got any and 5 we have lots of it here

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    You probably won't see it show up in LTE Discovery or SignalCheck as no one has posted the pattern of the sectors yet that I know of.
    So far, trocks is the only person to catch it in Samsung Service Mode I believe.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The Galaxy S6 seems to support band 5 according to service mode.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    The Galaxy S6 seems to support band 5 according to service mode.
    I will have to check mine again but my S6 did not list B5 in the supported bands. That was with the most recent patch as of 2 week ago.

Edit: This is on the Verizon variant of the S6. The AT&T variant does support it for sure.
    Last edited by 10mm; 01-02-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast