Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon band 5 deployment

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Just installed the December patch on my GS6. It doesn't appear that Verizon has enabled B5 yet.

Attachment 147883
    Attachment 147884

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunya_Bizness View Post
    In my area Verizon has 824-835 MHz and 869-880 MHz for 1x that they'll eventually convert to LTE. But they also own 845-846.5 MHz and 890-891.5 MHz that they'll still use for the data services you mentioned.
    EvDO service is being moved down to minimal coverage. As for reserving bandwidth to 1X data, I'm not quite sure what you are getting at since 1X Voice channels also support 1X Data.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I will have to check mine again but my S6 did not list B5 in the supported bands. That was with the most recent patch as of 2 week ago.

Edit: This is on the Verizon variant of the S6. The AT&T variant does support it for sure.
    I saw it in the list of bands you could force to connect to, didn't check the supported bands page.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_S4 View Post
    EvDO service is being moved down to minimal coverage. As for reserving bandwidth to 1X data, I'm not quite sure what you are getting at since 1X Voice channels also support 1X Data.
    It means the 10X10 1X they'll move to LTE then use the 1.5X1.5 for IoT and such and devices that still use CDMA.. Not that complicated to understand. You don't need 10x10 to ping a electric meter or some security system.

Feedback Score

Verizon band 5 deployment

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya_Bizness View Post
    It means the 10X10 1X they'll move to LTE then use the 1.5X1.5 for IoT and such and devices that still use CDMA.. Not that complicated to understand. You don't need 10x10 to ping a electric meter or some security system.
    Indeed, but VZW is still selling basic phones that do nothing but 1x, not even EvDO. So capacity for voice will still be a big factor on either 850 or 1900. CDMA IoT does use very little bandwidth, but it also creates a huge amount of call attempts. At some point it may exceed the call attempt capacity of a single carrier.

Companies would like nothing better to turn off its older equipment. There is bandwidth of course, but also floor space, cooling, and power requirements which are incredibly high compared to LTE. IoT devices have a long service life and moving them to class 0 LTE devices is high priority.
    Last edited by Pete_S4; 01-03-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_S4 View Post
    Indeed, but VZW is still selling basic phones that do nothing but 1x, not even EvDO. So capacity for voice will still be a big factor.
    Such as? I recall the last time I went to a Verizon store, all the flip phones had 3G and some had LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Such as? I recall the last time I went to a Verizon store, all the flip phones had 3G and some had LTE.
    Check the website. Right now there are maybe 2 that support EvDO and 1x. The rest are 1x only. My guess, there's not much of a market for CDMA phones in the first place; probably less so for VoLTE given the large number of LTE bands that may need to be covered.

Feedback Score
    I may be completely off base with this, so keep me honest...

I wonder if instead of deploying 1x in the guard bands for long term, VZ could deploy a small 1.4mhz carrier of LTE in the guard bands for the purpose of a enlarging the coverage area in rural or cell edge scenarios. It's my understanding that one of the reasons LTE does not propagate as far as CDMA is because it is tweaked for high capacity and lower latency, as you would want in an urban or suburban environment, and the larger carrier sizes, 10,15,20mhz also make larger cell sizes more difficult. The narrow band could be deployed on "boomer" type sites at the edge of a coverage area, so when you're in the country, 10+ miles from the nearest site, maybe you'll have enough of a signal to place a call or send a text.

I don't understand why LTE isn't being configured for maximum coverage (in specific rural scenarios). Writers on these forums complain about loosing LTE signal long before their 2G counterparts. LTE is supposed to support up to 100km cell sizes, so theoretically there should be no problem with LTE matching the coverage area of GSM and CDMA.

Feedback Score

Verizon band 5 deployment

Quote Originally Posted by cisco115 View Post

I wonder if instead of deploying 1x in the guard bands for long term, VZ could deploy a small 1.4mhz carrier of LTE in the guard bands for the purpose of a enlarging the coverage area in rural or cell edge scenarios. It's my understanding that one of the reasons LTE does not propagate as far as CDMA is because it is tweaked for high capacity and lower latency, as you would want in an urban or suburban environment, and the larger carrier sizes, 10,15,20mhz also make larger cell sizes more difficult. The narrow band could be deployed on "boomer" type sites at the edge of a coverage area, so when you're in the country, 10+ miles from the nearest site, maybe you'll have enough of a signal to place a call or send a text.

I don't understand why LTE isn't being configured for maximum coverage (in specific rural scenarios). Writers on these forums complain about loosing LTE signal long before their 2G counterparts. LTE is supposed to support up to 100km cell sizes, so theoretically there should be no problem with LTE matching the coverage area of GSM and CDMA.
    This is a phenomenal post and I would like to see what an expert has to say about this. We hear reports of LTE traveling as far as 20 miles from a site in extreme rural areas. Perhaps they will be able to tweak LTE in the coming years to match 1x 850 ?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    This is a phenomenal post and I would like to see what an expert has to say about this. We hear reports of LTE traveling as far as 20 miles from a site in extreme rural areas. Perhaps they will be able to tweak LTE in the coming years to match 1x 850 ?
    I've seen 2300 travel 15 miles with a usable signal. There is no reason 700 shouldn't be able to match 1X850/GSM850.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I've seen 2300 travel 15 miles with a usable signal. There is no reason 700 shouldn't be able to match 1X850/GSM850.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A
    The farthest I've seen 700MHz travel was upstate NY. About 25 miles. This was in 2014 and the speeds were at around 18 Mbps down and about 5 Mbps up. (Band 12/17 on at&t)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    The farthest I've seen 700MHz travel was upstate NY. About 25 miles. This was in 2014 and the speeds were at around 18 Mbps down and about 5 Mbps up. (Band 12/17 on at&t)

The power of rrus at the top of the site. At&t did it Right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A
    Did you get 25 miles on a standard smartphone, or did you have a tethering modem with external antenna?

The "Coverage" ios app is a great amateur tool for comparing 2g vs 4g coverage areas. For example, if you take a look at Speculator, NY in the Adirondacks, looks like there is a single colo tower serving VZ and ATT. When you switch between VZ and ATT 4G and 2G views on the map, there is a night and day difference between ATT 2G and everything else. Not sure if this is ATT being too liberal with their coverage area, or if there is a true coverage difference. I believe this tower is on a mountain, so even if ATT secured a good height on the tower, it shouldn't make as large a difference as the map shows.

I picked Speculator because since it's so isolated and has a colo tower, you can see exactly how two carriers perform against one another without other adjacent towers skewing the map.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you get 25 miles on a standard smartphone, or did you have a tethering modem with external antenna?

The "Coverage" ios app is a great amateur tool for comparing 2g vs 4g coverage areas. For example, if you take a look at Speculator, NY in the Adirondacks, looks like there is a single colo tower serving VZ and ATT. When you switch between VZ and ATT 4G and 2G views on the map, there is a night and day difference between ATT 2G and everything else. Not sure if this is ATT being too liberal with their coverage area, or if there is a true coverage difference. I believe this tower is on a mountain, so even if ATT secured a good height on the tower, it shouldn't make as large a difference as the map shows.

I picked Speculator because since it's so isolated and has a colo tower, you can see exactly how two carriers perform against one another without other adjacent towers skewing the map.
    It was with a Galaxy note 4,which has pretty bad rf, especially lte. My current phone, the s6 active, would've done that no problem, but now all the sites have been upgraded to lte.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Just installed the December patch on my GS6. It doesn't appear that Verizon has enabled B5 yet.

Attachment 147883
    Attachment 147884
    So you got your VZW S6 to be rooted on the latest patch?
    Mine is on the original firmware because I figured there would be no way to root it!

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast