Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon band 5 deployment

Device(s)
    htc hero
    Feedback Score

Verizon band 5 deployment

Has anyone seen any Verizon band 5 yet? We don't have a full band 4 20 x 20 in Phoenix it's only 15 x 15 but they own the whole block of band 5

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cerreta2884 View Post
    Has anyone seen any Verizon band 5 yet? We don't have a full band 4 20 x 20 in Phoenix it's only 15 x 15 but they own the whole block of band 5
    I checked Verizon (MNC 311-480) on CellMapper and found no instance of band-5 LTE anywhere in the "lower 48". YMMV.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    htc hero
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I checked Verizon (MNC 311-480) on CellMapper and found no instance of band-5 LTE anywhere in the "lower 48". YMMV.
    Shoot wonder if they plan on doing that anytime soon

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I hope so. Here in Hampton Roads, they own all the 850 MHz spectrum, and Band 13/700 MHz is chronically overloaded inside high-density areas like malls and hospitals. Verizon desperately needs more low-band LTE capacity for the places they can't densify to get Bands 2 or 4 to reach.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Shoot wonder if they plan on doing that anytime soon
    Maybe they have. I'm just saying that CellMapper hasn't recorded any 850 LTE towers with the 311-480 MNC. I'll be happy to be proven in error. Some are recorded as "unknown band", which might be band-5.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What phones support band 5 for LTE? Maybe it's a matter of very few phones having the support for it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's such a travesty in Phoenix too - they have all the 850mhz here in Maricopa county. I cannot for the life of me think that they need all that spectrum for 1X and EVDO. Especially given how atrocious the voice sounds on VZW here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    What phones support band 5 for LTE? Maybe it's a matter of very few phones having the support for it.
    It's been on phones for a couple years, so not everyone has it, but it isn't completely absent. ATT and VZW have had plans to make band 5 live at some point, so they have been adding it to phones.

Device(s)
    htc hero
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    It's such a travesty in Phoenix too - they have all the 850mhz here in Maricopa county. I cannot for the life of me think that they need all that spectrum for 1X and EVDO. Especially given how atrocious the voice sounds on VZW here anyway.

It's been on phones for a couple years, so not everyone has it, but it isn't completely absent. ATT and VZW have had plans to make band 5 live at some point, so they have been adding it to phones.
    Yeah Verizon sounds like crap here making a call unless it's Verizon to Verizon VOLTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Every iPhone since the iPhone 5 has had Band 5 support, so I'd say a significant number of users would be able to connect to it if it was live.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Sadly, the last few months a bunch of people must have cleared onto VoLTE as my 1x calls have actually been bearable as of late.

the LTE still kind of sucks during the day but that's not the point. I've opted to leave my VoLTE off since the LTE is just "weak enough" around my neighborhood in the Biltmore to cause dropped calls around my condo.

I really do hope they put LTE on either the A or B bock of 850MHz as it would make a great deal of difference here. They can just leave Band 2 and 1/2 of Band 5 for 1x/EvDO
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: Wide Open West 500/50

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You guys are lucky. Here in central Texas (Austin), AT&T owns all of the 800MHZ spectrum. Band 13 and band 4 are severely overloaded almost everywhere around here. And I don't see it being fixed for a long time unless they buy a big chunk of spectrum from someone else or the 600mhz auction.

We've got 10+10 of 700mhz, 10+10 of AWS, and 15+15 of PCS.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshGlzBrk View Post
    You guys are lucky. Here in central Texas (Austin), AT&T owns all of the 800MHZ spectrum. Band 13 and band 4 are severely overloaded almost everywhere around here. And I don't see it being fixed for a long time unless they buy a big chunk of spectrum from someone else or the 600mhz auction.

We've got 10+10 of 700mhz, 10+10 of AWS, and 15+15 of PCS.
    With such low band 4 spectrum, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon is working hard to convert 3 sector towers to 6 sectors to double capacity in your market. Small cells in cities will also help.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    With such low band 4 spectrum, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon is working hard to convert 3 sector towers to 6 sectors to double capacity in your market. Small cells in cities will also help.
    One thing I've noticed is there is a lot of towers that Verizon simply isn't on. They could improve service in a lot of the painful areas if they leased space on these towers.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Another question: Can Band 5 be deployed as "wideband," i.e. 15+15 MHz or 20+20 MHz? Or are the different parts of the 850 MHz band non-contiguous to the point that it's impossible?

I can imagine Verizon freeing up 850 MHz pretty quickly if they push a mandatory carrier update that makes VoLTE the default. Just look at T-Mobile. VoLTE is already 40% of their voice calls because they made it default.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Another question: Can Band 5 be deployed as "wideband," i.e. 15+15 MHz or 20+20 MHz? Or are the different parts of the 850 MHz band non-contiguous to the point that it's impossible?

I can imagine Verizon freeing up 850 MHz pretty quickly if they push a mandatory carrier update that makes VoLTE the default. Just look at T-Mobile. VoLTE is already 40% of their voice calls because they made it default.
    Well the reason this works so well for T-Mobile is that VoLTE will fall back to HSPA (T-Mobile's 3G/"4G" Network) so if the call is started on VoLTE but then goes into an HSPA only spot it hands off without a hitch.

Verizon does not have that fallback unfortunately.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast