Hello,

I have a Pantech Pocket (Android 2.3.4). Original carrier was AT&T but I bought it from Amazon already unlocked. I am currently in Indonesia using it with a local SIM card and everything works except I cannot share the phone data with my laptop.

I get into Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Tethering & portable hotspot with no problem. I tried to turn on the "Portable Wi-Fi Hostspot" option. It goes grey and says "Turning on..." and stays like that for about 5 minuts until it gives up. Never actually turns on. As that didn't work I tried to configure the hotspot on "Portable Wi-Fi hostspot settings" and gave an SSID and password and all that. Saved. No problem. Tried to turn hotspot on again -same result: "Turning on..." for 5 minuts and nothing.

I tried the other option: connected the phone to the laptop using the USB cable. This enables the "USB tethering" option on the phone. Perfect. So I try to turn it on... more of the same: "Turning on..." message but nothing happens...

I am a complete novice when it comes to smartphones and, as far as I know, the phone is not rooted because I was afraid I'd mess it up.

Anyone knows what's going on and how I can make this work?

PS: btw, lots of people here with the same SIM card and data package I have can use their phones as hotspots so it's not the carrier blocking this service.