Thread: Sprint Unlock Help iPhone 5s - DSU Process

Feedback Score

Sprint Unlock Help iPhone 5s - DSU Process

.....Searched but didnt find the exact answer.....

I am planning ahead here...My Sprint contract (SERO) will be up in June 2016.

I have an iPhone 5S (purchased through Sprint almost 2 years ago - model A1453).

I want to take this phone over to Cricket and use it as a GSM phone. Pretty sure the LTE bands will work and the frequencies are the same across the iPhone5s models.

Once my contract is up in June, I want to do the Sprint Domestic Unlock (DSU) process so that I may take the phone to another carrier. Question: has anyone here successfully executed a DSU with Sprint? Was the process easy and are there any tips/tricks to follow?

Another note: when my wife's phone was out of contact at Sprint, we called to get it unlocked. They said we had to cancel the service first...I just hung up since I knew cancelling the service would lose her number.

FYI - I already did the International SIM unlock process (went overseas this year) and it worked fine as it is an option on their webite in your account...no issues. I dont know why Sprint makes the DSU process so hard.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    From the Sprint Unlocking Policy page, I see that:
    For domestic SIM unlockable ("DSU") devices launched after February 2015, Sprint will automatically unlock the device when it becomes eligible. Please note that a domestic SIM unlock will also enable your device to be used internationally using a foreign carrier's SIM card.
    I haven't had asked for a DSU yet, as our account with the initial iPhone 6 phones aren't out of the 24-month agreement yet. I remember this policy was covered over the major tech news sites, and I was diligently following the news on Sprint's then brand-new policy. I'm hoping it'll be easy for you; according to the chart, your 5s should be eligible. Let us know if the process was easy!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quasar_blu View Post
    From the Sprint Unlocking Policy page, I see that:

I haven't had asked for a DSU yet, as our account with the initial iPhone 6 phones aren't out of the 24-month agreement yet. I remember this policy was covered over the major tech news sites, and I was diligently following the news on Sprint's then brand-new policy. I'm hoping it'll be easy for you; according to the chart, your 5s should be eligible. Let us know if the process was easy!
    Well, I was able to unlock the phone, but it wasnt easy. I called the day my contract ended and they said it was too close to the cancellation day to process the unlock. I called the next day and someone helped me, but it took 45 minutes and he said it would be unlocked in 24 hours, but that no confirmation will be provided. I called the next day and just pretended i have never called before. It took another 45 minutes and they said the phone would be unlocked in 24 hours. I called again the next day and someone finally said the phone was already unlocked. I plugged in a SIM from Verizon and confirmed it was unlocked.

So yes, Sprint will unlock it, but it will take some time and they will provide you zero visibility into the process

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If I recall, when you plug the phone into a computer and launch iTunes, the Congratulations your phone is now unlocked message will appear in iTunes when it tries to sync.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b-slice View Post
    Well, I was able to unlock the phone, but it wasnt easy. I called the day my contract ended and they said it was too close to the cancellation day to process the unlock. I called the next day and someone helped me, but it took 45 minutes and he said it would be unlocked in 24 hours, but that no confirmation will be provided. I called the next day and just pretended i have never called before. It took another 45 minutes and they said the phone would be unlocked in 24 hours. I called again the next day and someone finally said the phone was already unlocked. I plugged in a SIM from Verizon and confirmed it was unlocked.

So yes, Sprint will unlock it, but it will take some time and they will provide you zero visibility into the process
    They told me 48 hours, so it actually took time then? so I shouldn't worry that the Sprint rep I talked to did it wrong

Feedback Score
    One rep told me it would be a few hours...another told me 24.....I dont think they actually know.

I just called back everyday until someone told me over the phone that it was unlocked. Then I poped in a new SIM from another carrier and it worked. I did not have to do a restore in iTunes.