Thread: T bay tel around Lake of the Woods

Device(s)
    Galaxy S 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

T bay tel around Lake of the Woods

I am going to try to set up for data at my cabin on Lake of the Woods near Sioux Narrows ON. I currently get my cell signal from the Tbaytel tower near Nestor Falls. I use a booster and a yagi pointed at the tower (about 10 miles) for a Verizon cell phone. Verizon is expensive for data on a US contract. I spent about 4 months at the off grid cabin so I'd like to use a Canadian company and a pay as you go plan. I'm looking for suggestions. Tbaytel owns the tower at Nestor Falls, would they be the best?
    Dave

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You could check to see if T-Mobile will roam on them 'for free' or AT&T's GoPhone.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm hoping to find someone with first hand experience. I'm not sure what companies use the tbaytel towers. The area is littered with large chunks of granite that mess up reception.
    Thanks.
    Dave

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well... I can't say for T-Mobile, as I haven't been out in that area, but it 'can' roam on Rogers/Bell/Telus/Videotron

I used to live in NW Ontario, so I know a bit about the area (mostly north of Lake Superior).
    AT&T lists their roaming coverage https://www.att.com/travelguide/cove...5&DID2=&STEP=5

The question is ... is Rogers 'really' TBayTel or just a roaming provider. I know that on AT&T I could roam on either Rogers on Bell.
    On T-Mobile, I was typically on Telus or Bell, and Rogers would drop after a short period... but from what I've heard, its 'regional'.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight. I have a Bell tower 5.5 miles away at Sioux Narrows but there is a large granite wall in that direction that may cause interference. The towers use 850mhz Any idea what that means in speed 3g vs 4g? I wont use the data mobile. I'll just set it up in the cabin and could even point a yagi at the tower if needed.
    Dave

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davecharles View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I have a Bell tower 5.5 miles away at Sioux Narrows but there is a large granite wall in that direction that may cause interference. The towers use 850mhz Any idea what that means in speed 3g vs 4g? I wont use the data mobile. I'll just set it up in the cabin and could even point a yagi at the tower if needed.
    Dave
    T-Mobile typically roams on either Bell or Rogers... They won't give me info on TBayTel, but its a 'partner' of Rogers.
    Your best bet is here:
    http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
    All of these sites would be either HSPA+ / HSPA+ DC or LTE

Sites:
    http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Our_network_coverage
    http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wirel...twork-coverage
    http://www.tbaytel.net/personal/mobi...ravel/coverage

You can 'in theory' get a T-Mobile account, and roam in Canada 'for free' - I have heard that you will get kicked off if you use +6 months of roaming in Canada though.

Looks like T-Mobile will not roam on Rogers or TBayTel in Ontario... Bell Canada is their roaming partner up there (from T-Mobile Support).
    Last edited by formercanuck; 02-11-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Bell shows it as HSPA+ for my area. I only need it for 4 months a year. T mobile would be great, its a shame I cant get it at home(I tried but there is a hole in their coverage) Don't need internet in Canada in the winter, I'll use my satellite connection in Southern Illinois.
    Dave

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon may have a roamer deal with Bell or Rogers. I think you can get some prepaid on Bell...
    You will probably get some better responses through the Bell forum on here. Its been a while since I lived in NW Ontario, and back then it was on AMPS/DAMPS.
    If you look on Cellmapper.net, and Sensorly.com you can see the service trail in the area you're looking at.

Feedback Score
    I have a cottage on LOTW (Crow Rock area) and have been playing with getting the most reliable data at camp over that last couple of summers. The landscape is challenging.. lot's of granite and tree's with signals bouncing all over the place. Here's what I'm currrently using with acceptable results. I've tried both Bell and native Rogers but found TBaytel prepaid the most cost effective for my use.

Wilson Sleek 4G-C cradle
    Yagi Directional Antenna
    Sierra 763S 4G LTE Mobile hotspot

The cradle booster actually works really well and boosts the signal as advertised. Without the booster and antenna, signal levels will wildly change with connection drops. I bought the TBaytel SIM card in Kenora and added the prepaid "data only" package. You can only buy the SIM at a brick and morter dealer and they will activate the SIM at store, then you add $$ online to the account and then select your data package.

TBaytel piggy backs of Rogers and I do believe a new tower was put up within the last year in SN so it maybe lightly loaded. I believe I'm using the Rogers Keewatin water tower (going by antenna direction) and it does get overloaded from a subscriber point of view but can maintain a good solid signal.. just slow throughput.

Good luck..
    Last edited by hdefjunkie; 02-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Its actually a bit of the other way.... Rogers piggy backs on TBayTel in NW Ontario AFAIK.
    Technically, its probably a 'Rogers built/managed' infrastructure, but the area from Manitoba to ~ Sault Ste Marie, ON is technically a TBayTel area. I doubt that you can actually set up service on Rogers in the 807 area code. There's 1 store in Thunder Bay, and its in Best Buy... and that's it.

Feedback Score
    In rainy lake -red gut bay - for internet use and emergency phone service , I use a Nexus 5 with a tbaytel sim and the pay by minute plan which I don't use at all for phone calls- the key is to buy the $125 data bucket which gives you 20 GB and 1 year extension on life of account. so I refill every summer and use the Nexus 5 as a hotpot for our cabin on an island. Pretty good deal and if you run out of data very easy to replenish ..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk