Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Sprint LTE $120 a year (plus $55 for hotspot) for low-income

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Is this service viable for home use? I currently have google fiber 100mbps at $50 a month. I am super cheap, and if I could get this at $10 a month that would be great. Before I was on a 40mbps plan with centurylink and the household was doing fine. We have 2-3 video streamers on at once.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    it seems like they beat the price from 4gcommunity on the low end and offer the same Franklin R850 unit. Their other offering seem to be low end as well(Netgear Fuse). 4gcommunity seems to have better higher end choices for devices though-the Netgear 6100d and the ZTE Pocket Mifi.

It;s been stated that the Franklin unit is adequate for general use and some streaming.

to a degree, you get what you pay for. In then end, you need to decide which one is going to be able to stay in business.

Another factor-how diligent are each of these services at checking for income requirements? i;ve gotten the vibe that 4GCommunity is turning a blind eye to it. However the PCSforPeople site seems to say it more prominently.
    Last edited by ShredFred; 12-22-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I just got this deal and signed up for a year for like $190 with the hardware. I would love to replace our at&t uverse that costs $60. My wife and daughter are out of the country for 2 weeks and I am going to test it and see if it will work. Just got it last night and haven't played much with it yet but it seems ok so far. I know my wife would be skeptical..."that little thing?" I wish it was bigger and had more flashing lights and bling:-)

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Which device did you go for? Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    The Franklin R850 is the only current option. I need to get smart about tweaking it to max performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    Is this service viable for home use? I currently have google fiber 100mbps at $50 a month. I am super cheap, and if I could get this at $10 a month that would be great. Before I was on a 40mbps plan with centurylink and the household was doing fine. We have 2-3 video streamers on at once.
    performance of this service will be no where near your google fiber.

you must be a tightwad if you are even considering about getting rid of google fiber

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
    performance of this service will be no where near your google fiber.

you must be a tightwad if you are even considering about getting rid of google fiber
    I am. Google fiber isn't as great as it is made out to be. Why pay more for what I am not using? I was fine on 40 mbps but centurylink was charging up the butt for it, so I switched to google fiber mainly for price reasons, not speed reasons. Google fiber has a 25 mbps plan for $15 and I would switch if they made it available here. I am sure sprint (they should have good coverage) would be able to get 25 mbps here. I definitely would qualify for low income so that isn't an issue. Saving money is saving money.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Core Prime, TF700 w/custom rom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    I am. Google fiber isn't as great as it is made out to be. Why pay more for what I am not using? I was fine on 40 mbps but centurylink was charging up the butt for it, so I switched to google fiber mainly for price reasons, not speed reasons. Google fiber has a 25 mbps plan for $15 and I would switch if they made it available here. I am sure sprint (they should have good coverage) would be able to get 25 mbps here. I definitely would qualify for low income so that isn't an issue. Saving money is saving money.
    I am 3 weeks in to my first month with this service, and I'm disappointed. I've exceeded the 23GB limit and am now being "de-prioritized". I'm shocked at how much slower things are. Your experience will vary. It is also a very cheap device. I live in the country, and signal strength is an issue, but counting on getting 25 mbs is unrealistic in my opinion, even in town.

I got 10-13 Mbs before 23GB. Now anywhere from 3-7, according to speedtest.net. And watching Netflix confirms.

I'd be curious to see what speeds others are getting, both before and after they hit the 23GB mark.
    With a little help I'll eventually be a novice.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know what the numbers are but I have one bar at home on the r850 and it's not great. I drove close to town where I am getting three bars and it's decent. But I needed it home. I need to decide tomorrow but leaning to returning it.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I found the closest tower and drove up to it and tested with ookla on the r850. I am getting about 21 down, 16 up and 75 ping. I wish I lived here (except I would have already gone deaf due to noise)

Device(s)
    Galaxy Core Prime, TF700 w/custom rom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For those not getting good speed/signal strength because you are far from the tower, Google WiFi parabola diy or something like it. I made mine out of foam board and a piece of aluminum flashing, but people use cardboard and pop cans. Put the R850 at the focal point and aim it at the tower. It made a huge difference for me and was cheap. Good luck.

Thanks for the speed reports. My best was 22 download but that was down the road with clear line of sight to the tower. At my house I have some obstructions. Any other suggestions about tweaking things I would love to hear. Those of us using this plan need all the help we can get.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a DISH satellite antenna that's not being used that I am going to play around with tomorrow. I see reports of these being repurposed for the task. Its a shame it isn't tmo or at&t because they are right in my face at home.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I pulled up the old DISH antenna (needed to do that anyway) and tried to point it toward the tower which is 3.6 miles away and not visible at ground level. I could not really improve things much. Best I can get is about 2 down, 1.5 up 45 ping. I would keep it if it were just me and SWMBO but the Y2kid would scream bloody murder. I can stream Netflix. The at&t uverse that we grumpily pay $60 for is 4 down, 1.5 up, 45 ping. I would so much like to tell ma bell where she can stick it, but alas.

Feedback Score
    I've had this service for a couple months now. I'm using it as my home Internet connection. I have the netgear fuse device.

I've got to say its been great. It does seem to get throttled after you go well over 30GB. Right now I'm at 54GB out of the 30GB and I just recently noticed that the speed checks are 7.1Mbps DOWN .44Mbps UP still great for surfing and streaming. Typically I get 20-25Mbps Down and 2ishMbps UP. The FUSE only ever shows 2bars at my house, I've tried to figure out where the closest Sprint tower is. Seems like its about 13miles a way, unless there is one I don't know about.

Anyway I'd say for personal use this is an amazing service. its been much faster then the CenturyLink DSL I had before. Its kind of handy I can take it with me on road trips. I don't game so I'm not sure how latency and such would be, but for general downloading, surfing and streaming its great.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I might have kept it had they had something other than the Franklin (which they did a few months ago). But time ran out to play with it. You only have 7 days to return it. I might have made it work better with some better equipment and time, but didnt want to risk eating that crappy Franklin.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast